• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK boardies...HELP...need advice on customs issue with eBay buyer!

14 posts in this topic

So I have probably sold several hundred books to UK buyers over the years and have NEVER had an issue with customs charges.

I always just use the eBay description in the main contents box (Incredible Hulk #180 CGC 8.5) and then on the additional line below I add "vintage comic book"

Soooo...the UK buyer on a $307 CGC graded book just sent me the following email:

Hi

Greg,

our custom have charged me ,the charge is going to cost me a further $269 , as i said we don't get charged on comics and it's not very clear on the customs form ,all they see is what you put in the description not further down on the custom form

because we are not supposed to be charged taxes for comics or books ,i will have to ask them to send it back as i should not have to pay the charges on something we supposed not too

paul

Surely there is something he can do to avoid paying, what is my responsibility here, any advice I can give him? Thanks in advance!

Greg

I think what you put on the form could potentially be confusing for a busy customs official looking at hundreds of packages.

Why not just put book or reading material? Your buyer will get his money back but it will be a time consuming PITA for him.

I suspect that use of the term vintage, could be the problem here, it suggests that the item has more than it's intrinsic value. That shouldn't make a difference, but it could muddy the waters.

Just keep it simple is my advice.

I can’t recall what screen it is exactly, but when eBay takes you to the online customs form (which ultimately becomes the shipping label) there is a drop down menu with about 5 options on it for a generic description of the contents. I’m guessing it is always defaulted to “Merchandise” since it’s something being sold, but I have always changed it to “Other” (last option on the drop down list IIRC) and I write “Used comic books” in the comments section.

I believe the description field will always auto-populate with the title of your listing, which may not hold any weight if a customs agent is hung up on the “Merchandise” box.

I’m assuming this is the root of the problem as a similar thing happened to me a few years ago, making sure to change that drop down for all international shipments has made for completely smooth sailing since.

As somewhat a consolation, you can’t be hit with negative feedback for customs charges as illustrated by eBay’s feedback policy, but they do stipulate that you need to have the following language in your item description with a certain font and positioning:

International Buyers – Please Note:

• Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility.

• Please check with your country’s customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to bidding/buying.

Check out the page here for the full disclaimer.

Hope this helps. If this turns out not to be the case I'm not sure what the problem could be (shrug)

So I have probably sold several hundred books to UK buyers over the years and have NEVER had an issue with customs charges.

I always just use the eBay description in the main contents box (Incredible Hulk #180 CGC 8.5) and then on the additional line below I add "vintage comic book"

Soooo...the UK buyer on a $307 CGC graded book just sent me the following email:

Hi

Greg,

our custom have charged me ,the charge is going to cost me a further $269 , as i said we don't get charged on comics and it's not very clear on the customs form ,all they see is what you put in the description not further down on the custom form

because we are not supposed to be charged taxes for comics or books ,i will have to ask them to send it back as i should not have to pay the charges on something we supposed not too

paul

Surely there is something he can do to avoid paying, what is my responsibility here, any advice I can give him? Thanks in advance!

Greg

As I understand it from some Brit friends, the change in the UK from Customs & Excise to Border control, has opened up a can of worms.

Where before when a book was mistakenly charged by customs, the recipient could contact Customs & Excise either by email or phone and plead his/her case. You still had to put a claim in for refund of charges,but at least this contact process could considerably speed the matter up.

Now apparently there is no way to approach the Border agency. If your book is mistakenly charged coming in to the country, you cannot contact them but you have to approach the British Royal Mail for a compensation form and submit it that way.

From what I understand the process takes an age to be concluded and of course you have to stump up the charges in advance to get a hold of your book.

:cry:

....well, over the last five years of buying slabs from the US I've been caught twice (and only recently) with duty charges. It is possible to ring the Border Agency (0845 600 4781) but it took me two hours of re-dialing to get to speak to an actual person. On a rare occasion, they will sort it for you over the phone, but the advice I received was to ask sellers to clearly write 'COMIC BOOK' on the declaration form - and basically anywhere prominent on the outside of the package will also help.

Alternatively, pay the charges (the parcel forec handling charge is non-refundable) then gather copies of all the documentation and enter 'a world of pain' while you write to the Border Agency and wait in vain, for many months for a refund!

....well, over the last five years of buying slabs from the US I've been caught twice (and only recently) with duty charges. It is possible to ring the Border Agency (0845 600 4781) but it took me two hours of re-dialing to get to speak to an actual person. On a rare occasion, they will sort it for you over the phone, but the advice I received was to ask sellers to clearly write 'COMIC BOOK' on the declaration form - and basically anywhere prominent on the outside of the package will also help.

Alternatively, pay the charges (the parcel forec handling charge is non-refundable) then gather copies of all the documentation and enter 'a world of pain' while you write to the Border Agency and wait in vain, for many months for a refund!

What a nightmare :facepalm:

Even so, him saying he is being charged $269 on a book costing $307 seems a bit funny.

I've had 2 instances of Customs charging me because the seller did not state the contents properly. I'm talking value of upto $1,000 and my charge was no where near $269!!

Even so, him saying he is being charged $269 on a book costing $307 seems a bit funny.

I've had 2 instances of Customs charging me because the seller did not state the contents properly. I'm talking value of upto $1,000 and my charge was no where near $269!!

He must have moved the decimal place. :gossip:

20% of value max, I believe.

I have just had a similar thing happen to me for the 2nd time but for a charge of £36.71.

Last month I bought 17 slabs and the seller didnt put the commodity code 4902900000 as I asked.

On the package, He wrote " remaindered periodicals" on as contents.

What I have done is paid the charge to get my books, then you need to go the web site:- www.hmrc.gov.uk and download the Bor286 form, fill this in and enclose the customs note and shipping notes from the package.

This is a claim form to claim back the charges as there is no charge on comics.

This worked okay for me the first time, I am still waiting this time as I only sent the form yesterday.

The telephone number for customs is 0845 0109000 if he wants to ring and talk it over with them first to get some assurance, as it is such a large amount.

You can PM me if you need any more information.

Good luck.

customsform001.jpg

3.jpg

As a matter of interest, I asked the customs guy what the best thing to write on the package was and he said "used books", comics, can mean advertisements and that could lead them to think charges.

I will post again when I get a result either way, as a matter of record and just out of interest for the future as this will definitely happen again, to someone.

Incidentally, I have been buying comics from the USA for 25 years, a package at least once a month and this is only my second time with customs, so its not all bad. ;)

Hi

Greg,

paul

Greg

As I understand it from some Brit friends, the change in the UK from Customs & Excise to Border control, has opened up a can of worms.

Where before when a book was mistakenly charged by customs, the recipient could contact Customs & Excise either by email or phone and plead his/her case. You still had to put a claim in for refund of charges,but at least this contact process could considerably speed the matter up.

Now apparently there is no way to approach the Border agency. If your book is mistakenly charged coming in to the country, you cannot contact them but you have to approach the British Royal Mail for a compensation form and submit it that way.

From what I understand the process takes an age to be concluded and of course you have to stump up the charges in advance to get a hold of your book.

:cry:

'some Brit friends'.

:/

I have just had a similar thing happen to me for the 2nd time but for a charge of £36.71.

Last month I bought 17 slabs and the seller didnt put the commodity code 4902900000 as I asked.

On the package, He wrote " remaindered periodicals" on as contents.

What I have done is paid the charge to get my books, then you need to go the web site:- www.hmrc.gov.uk and download the Bor286 form, fill this in and enclose the customs note and shipping notes from the package.

This is a claim form to claim back the charges as there is no charge on comics.

This worked okay for me the first time, I am still waiting this time as I only sent the form yesterday.

The telephone number for customs is 0845 0109000 if he wants to ring and talk it over with them first to get some assurance, as it is such a large amount.

You can PM me if you need any more information.

Good luck.

customsform001.jpg

3.jpg

I got confirmation of a refund today.

This is from a deal done in May, so 3 to 4 months waiting.

CUSTOMSLETTER.jpg