• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Haulin' comics around at the con. My back hurts!

16 posts in this topic

Hi guys. A little question I have for ya'. A problem most of us, if not all of us have encountered. So, we go to the cons, big ones or little ones and start buying comics. What do you carry to hold your books? A backpack, hard or soft briefcase, some kind of rolling cart or suitcase on wheels, a plastic bag, nothing? Whatever it is, if you are like me, my comics start getting heavy. At the big cons I carry around a soft leather-like briefcase which protects the comics just fine as long as they are bagged and boarded. But after about 40 comics the dang thing is full and startin' to get pretty heavy. This might be just two hours into an eight hour day. So, if you drove you can go out to your car, unload and come back in to restock, if you have your car and it's not parked a mile away that is. Or maybe there is some kind of baggage check like I've seen at the San Diego con. But do you trust leaving your newly aquired gems with them? then there is going back to the hotel to unload, if it is convenient. Or just killing your back and hands and carrying around a heavier and heavier backpack,case or whatever, along with extra bags and or/boxes you've had to accumulate to carry along since not everything will fit in your original carrier. UGH!.

And then there is the "Well, I'll just look in the beginning and go back at the end of the day and buy everything". Yeah right, we still buy it early anyway since we are afraid somebody else will buy it if we don't. Damn, my case is starting to get heavy, feet hurt, hands hurt, back starting to ache, carrier full, and WHAT? there is six hours left in the show today and I still have plenty of money and all kinds of books I want to buy! What to do? How much can I carry?

So, how do you guys do it? It's a problem for me every time. Especially with San Diego coming up. No car, Hotel eight blocks away, don't trust baggage check, don't wan't to wheel around some kind of cart (I don't think we are allowed to anyway). Hmmm? 893frustrated.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif -----Sid

No car, Hotel eight blocks away, don't trust baggage check, don't wan't to wheel around some kind of cart (I don't think we are allowed to anyway). Hmmm? -----Sid

Spend the next month doing deadlifts.......either that or blow all your money on a couple of expensive books.

No car, Hotel eight blocks away, don't trust baggage check, don't wan't to wheel around some kind of cart (I don't think we are allowed to anyway). Hmmm? -----Sid

Spend the next month doing deadlifts.......either that or blow all your money on a couple of expensive books.

Yeah, I'm in great shape and do work out with weights. Still gets to me. Yeah, I could buy few more expensive books. But there are just so many cool ones, and great deals that they just add up. A lot of 12 Bronze Horror books here, a few Modern books that I had never seen before there, oh, and gotta get some of these books here that the guy is selling for so cheap, and oh, what's that... cool, gotta get it. Hey, those comic lbs add up faster than those 45lb plates on the barbell. ----Sid

Um..take the boards out because they're heavy? Then roll up the comics. If you roll them up like socks, you can jam more of them into your backpack. grin.gif

(Actually, I run into this problem a lot... so I tend to just not buy more than I can carry in my backpack. I use a cardboard magazine holder (or two) in my backpack though with boards on both sides. While the holders are empty, I use the convention bag or whatever to cushion the comics. When I get more comics, I don't need the extra material then.) That material can go into the bottom of the pack since there's extra room near the bottom. (The backpack also expands if I need more space. The magazine holders keep the books from getting smashed.)

I use a backpack, and inside I have a few shipping boxes people sent me comics in. When I buy comics, I open the pack, slide them into the boxes, and close the pack. If the pack fills, it's time for a trip to the car!

As Captain stated I buy mainly higher dollar books so it is rare for me to even purchase 10 comics at a con. I usually have a soft laptop bag with 2 pieces of thick cardboard and as I accumulate books, I just place them in the bag between the cardboard. thumbsup2.gif

Spend the next month doing deadlifts...

You beat me to it. Get on a good routine -- Squats, Deads, Bench. Grab some heavy stuff and do some Farmer Walks. Oh yeah... also, go down to the corner store and pick up a couple cans of SUCK IT UP!!! sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

For the love of God!!! 40 comics weighs, what, 8 lbs. Give me a f'n break. I carried a whole long box full of books for most of SD year before last. 893frustrated.gif

893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif

What I did was get in tight with a dealer at the show (especially one you spend lots of $$$ with). More that likely they will be happy to keep your books behind their table. Only bad thing is if the get stolen...you are out of luck.

West

Spend the next month doing deadlifts...

You beat me to it. Get on a good routine -- Squats, Deads, Bench. Grab some heavy stuff and do some Farmer Walks. Oh yeah... also, go down to the corner store and pick up a couple cans of SUCK IT UP!!! sumo.gifsumo.gifsumo.gif

For the love of God!!! 40 comics weighs, what, 8 lbs. Give me a f'n break. I carried a whole long box full of books for most of SD year before last. 893frustrated.gif

893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif

Yeah, I know. If you just pick up a full pack of comics it may be just 8-15 lbs or so. No biggie I know. BUT, when I am carrying that pack around constantly that "light" weight can take a toll. For me, more on the shoulders than anything as I mostly carry it around with the shoulder strap. For hours and hours it becomes a real pain. I don't see how deadlifts would help as my legs never bother me. More like deltoid and traps. Upright rows maybe along with some over the head lifts.

I don't like the backpack idea personally as you have to take it off everytime you buy a comic to put it in. Plus I just don't like the idea of looking like a camper in a comic con. Damn, too bad the Hyatt sold out so fast in SD where I usually stay. Just a couple minutes away from the con. I usually went back to my room to unload once or twice each day. This time I am at the US Grant about eight blocks away. Maybe once a day I might have to take the shuttle back to make a drop off. Just such a waste ot time though.

Timley's idea about chumming up to a dealer where I could leave my stuff is a good idea. But as he said, it could disappear somehow. Oh well, I'll just have to deal with it and maybe limit myself on the cheaper books that add up real quick. -----Sid

I don't see how deadlifts would help as my legs never bother me. More like deltoid and traps.

Deadlifts are mostly for your back.......and you did say "my back hurts" in the title. Make up your mind! How can you expect us to help you if you keep changing your story around? mad.gifgrin.gif

BTW, if 15 year old girls can carry a back pack full of textbooks all day, I think you should be able to manage 8lbs of comics. If not, just bring the wife. 27_laughing.gif

I don't see how deadlifts would help as my legs never bother me. More like deltoid and traps.

Deadlifts are mostly for your back.......and you did say "my back hurts" in the title. Make up your mind! How can you expect us to help you if you keep changing your story around? mad.gifgrin.gif

BTW, if 15 year old girls can carry a back pack full of textbooks all day, I think you should be able to manage 8lbs of comics. If not, just bring the wife. 27_laughing.gif

I guess it is just a hassle all over to carry around a heavy pack all day. Certainly weighs more than 8lbs. Maybe up to 20 depending on how full it is packed. Plus, this is being on my feet constantly except to get something to eat once in a while or to sit at a panel for a bit. I'm just griping mainly. I put up with it like we all do. I don't really need help with it. Just wondering how other people deal with the same problem. If I used a backpack it would be much easier physically as the back can carry alot of weight. Just don't like that way of doing it. For convenience the shoulder pack works best for me. -----Sid

OK Strongman, Captain and you other muscle guys out there. Maybe we need you guys to come up with some kind of a "Comic-Con Survival Workout Program".

We need:

Strong back for carrying backpacks.

Fit feet for walking around all day.

Buff up those arms and shoulders for carrying around packs and boxes.

Strong neck for all the head turning

Cardio program for long lasting stamina

Agile and strong fingers for all the flipping through comic boxes

How do we get in shape for the cons? C'mon guys, give us a workout program that will turn us all into con-monsters able to haul around comic-long boxes and heavy packs all day. I'm gonna go work out today. I'll be thinkin' about it. sumo.gif -----Sid