• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY IT FORWARD

17,623 posts in this topic

Well, maybe we tend to take statements too literally. And let’s not forget this kind of writing, electronic writing, is closer to speak than to writing. :shrug:

Probably Ditch did not realize that most people did not do the connection and realized rckstr1253 was the same guy from the other thread. :)

I'm not for sure how else to take the statement, "I think you guys just missed a big chance to redeem yourselves." Perhaps you are right though, and the statement really meant that we are all really nice people and doing a fantastic job. :eyeroll:

(Can I use this as another example of you telling us that someone may have meant something else other than what they actually said, even though you really have no idea? :D )

Everything is in motion to be taken care of. No worries (thumbs u

:bump: current offers below

Offer (1) - A bunch of 1st app's or #1's - (Doomsday/Gambit/Ghost rider/Omega Red/Blink - Wolverine 1/Moonkight 1/ Cable 1/ Spidey 1/ Ghost rider 1..etc ) (thumbs u

epji89.jpg

--------------------------------------

Offer (2) - 1 of my fav punisher covers! - and is getting back in the lime light with next seasons DD series.

jh4hsg.jpg

I appreciate all the kind words and gestures but figured it was good to chime in. No one did anything wrong or what not to make me back out of pif. I should of checked the value of the item I was claiming so I offered something more fair. I honestly didn't known the value of the Leo figure but claimed it as it was my favorite turtle character growing up. With that said, after goingv through my sisters and nieces stuff while cleaning out their house they just got in January, I came across a few items I had bought my sister and niece and just broke down. I knew I wouldn't have the will or time to find anything better for pif so it is why I backed out. I again thank everyone as its been a rough 2 weeks, I just feel crushed, empty, sad, angry and lost at this point in life. Nothing will ever get things to the way they were before this nightmare, and I am just so tired of not being able to sleep and realizing how missing 2 weeks or work and not getting a pay check takes its toll on your life. I have to go back to work Tuesday and try to get back into the swing of things but just don't know if I can. Last time I saw my sister I was at my job as she came in to pick up food to drop off for our mother.

Hey man, it is going to get better. It will never be the same but it will get better than it is today. Hang in there, maybe try and see a counselor, and as cliche as it sounds please "fake it 'til you make it". Continue to do things you enjoyed prior to this tragedy, even if you don't feel like it please just try and get active. Keep your mind and body as active as you can. Grief is natural, and a normal reaction to what you have been through. Even profound grief and a sense of loss, but it will improve over time. You just have to continue to live the life your lost loved ones would want for you. I know these are just words and your loss is unimaginable but know that people care. We care a lot about you and will do what we can to help. You will go to work on Tuesday and you will get through the day, as hard as it may be. Just keep going, please.

You CAN.

Please.

Absolutely everything Bird said is true. It's a hard thing to grieve, and speaking only for myself, understanding what your feeling in the process of grieving makes it just a little more tolerable. First and foremost, you have to allow yourself the room to grieve, in your heart, and in your head- but without doubling down and sabatoging your own future well-being (work, home, school, etc) Keep some semblance or routine and normalcy. If you want to understand your feelings a little better, take a look at this wiki link on grief, or don't, or read it later- whatever seems most appropriate for you.

take care, and best wishes for you, your mom, and the rest of the family.

Wiki Page on Grief

Hey man, it is going to get better. It will never be the same but it will get better than it is today. Hang in there, maybe try and see a counselor, and as cliche as it sounds please "fake it 'til you make it". Continue to do things you enjoyed prior to this tragedy, even if you don't feel like it please just try and get active. Keep your mind and body as active as you can. Grief is natural, and a normal reaction to what you have been through. Even profound grief and a sense of loss, but it will improve over time. You just have to continue to live the life your lost loved ones would want for you. I know these are just words and your loss is unimaginable but know that people care. We care a lot about you and will do what we can to help. You will go to work on Tuesday and you will get through the day, as hard as it may be. Just keep going, please.

You CAN.

Please.

I did not realize rckstr1253 was the same boardie from the other thread, otherwise I’d have put up something on his behalf. hm

Sorry you did not get the TMNT figure (I did not notice it was a comic convention exclusive myself), but as others said do not let this discourage you on participating in future PIFs again in the future… (thumbs u

Making a commitment to pray for you and your family once again. :foryou:

I think you guys just missed a big chance to redeem yourselves.

In the spirit of actually Paying It Forward, why don't you just let him have it? (shrug)

Here's a chance to help someone get their mind off of something terrible at no actual cost to you. So what if his offer isn't instantly translatable into what you want?

Just my 2c

I am a bit confused about this post. Who are the people that missed their chance to redeem theirselves and from what? Couldnt anyone on the boards have claimed the item for him. Its kind of an interesting statement especially since boardies were already helping behind the scenes

We seem to be reading different threads. I can't tell if you're being disingenuous or you really don't get it. You seem like a nice, intelligent guy so I'll assume the later. :) Heck, you weren't even a member when this thread was created, so maybe you're not aware of its history.

And, yes, regarding your second post about me, you are correct - I meant what I wrote, not what Claudio "thought" I meant. :D

I used the term "you guys" because I didn't want to single anyone out, and in this specific case I still won't. I used the term "redeem" because of what occurred in this thread with rckstr1253, and seems to happen all too frequently with other new people trying to participate in this group activity which was designed to be fun. This was made all the more ugly in the eyes of many because of the circumstances surrounding a recent horrific event. I think it's awesome that things are being done behind the scenes to correct this; but, honestly, it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Sometimes it helps to take a step back and put yourself in the shoes of a new person trying to fit in, make friends, and have some fun. For most new boardies who discover the PIF thread, that process starts with reading the rules on Page 1. Let's review them. I've numbered them below within the spoiler to make it easy to reference.

RULES:

1) You must not be on the Hall of Shame list or be in poor standing on the boards

2) You must have at least 50 posts

3) If you claim some book(s), you must post your offering within 24 hours

4) Only one offer at a time. No new book(s) can be posted until the existing offer has been claimed

5) Post pics or scans of the book(s) you're giving away. Cell phone pics are fine

6) Don't take book(s) if you've got nothing to offer in return

7) If none of your offers are claimed within 4 days (96 hours) of your first offer, the previous offer automatically goes back up.

8) Don't ship your offer until you confirm the following offer has been claimed.

9) Ship book(s) quickly so people aren't left hanging. No later than two weeks after someone claims your offer.

10) Only one :takeit: every 7 days per member.

11) Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them

12) You can ONLY "take" a book after it has been listed.

13) Be honest

14) Have fun!

rckstr1253 did everything correctly. He didn't break or bend a single rule. He was polite, courteous, respectful, and eager to try as hard as he could.

Now let's review what the "you guys" part of this did:

A) A new offer was put up. rckstr1253 claimed it two hours later.

B) Nine hours into his 24 hour time limit, the badgering to get his offer up immediately began.

C) 11 hours in, he explained he was searching for comics that he thought someone might be interested in.

D) Quite a few comments were made after this about hoping he would be unsuccessful and that it would revert, along with more badgering about how long his offer was taking.

E) Six hours before his time limit was up, he posted his first offer and explained that if they weren't taken he'd put up some more options. At this point, according to rule #7, he had 96 more hours before his offer reverted.

F) Seven hours into his 96 hour limit, he put up several new books as a new option to his offer.

G) Rule #11 states very clearly that value is not to be discussed, and that if you don't like the offer, then you don't have to take it.

H) Less than nine hours into his 96 hour limit, the "advice" started on what he might be doing wrong, along with not-so-subtle hints at value and demand.

I) 13 hours into his 96 hour limit he explained he would look for more books.

J) 30 minutes later, the advice about value resumed.

K) rckstr1253 now starts asking whether this book or that book would be acceptable "directly" to those who are complaining about his offer.

L) More value comments follow, as well as comments about the unacceptability of his offer, along with self-congratulations for not treating him harsher.

M) At 21 hours into his 96 hour limit, rckstr1253 is now apologizing for not realizing the value of his claim in relation to his offer and vows to find something more valuable. He mentions looking for some SA ASM books.

N) Three hours later, 24 hours into his 96 hour limit, he briefly explains his personal tragedy and the difficulty he's having concentrating and trying to find new books; bows out gracefully, allowing his claim to revert.

O) Three minutes later, someone posts a nasty, callous little animated gif which states, "Well...Bye."

P) Two minutes later, the previous offer is bumped into ready position.

Q) Six minutes later, someone reminds everyone about the tragedy and posts a link to a thread explaining it.

R) A few seconds later, the old offer is claimed.

Do you understand what I mean by "redeem" now? I would not want to be treated like this, and I know you wouldn't either - yet it happens here all the time, especially when new people try to participate.

There is absolutely no need for this behavior. The rules are in place now to prevent "junk donkeys" from getting away with their previous abuses. There is no need to police anyone's offer. If it's unacceptable, either the offeror will get the message on his own because of lack of interest, or it will revert after 4 days.

On the other hand, there "is" a need to police bad behavior from those who really just want a closed, fast-moving trading thread, and are abusing those who are following the rules and using the thread as it was designed - to Pay It Forward and have fun.

This thread was started with the best of intentions, and I'd really hate to see it locked or deleted, but that's where it's headed if something doesn't change soon. To those who break the rules, chase off new participants unless they put up the books they personally want, and generally seem to enjoy the constant fighting and bickering - this isn't the thread for you, please start one of your own.

I did not realize rckstr1253 was the same boardie from the other thread, otherwise I’d have put up something on his behalf. hm

Sorry you did not get the TMNT figure (I did not notice it was a comic convention exclusive myself), but as others said do not let this discourage you on participating in future PIFs again in the future… (thumbs u

In the spirit of actually Paying It Forward, why don't you just let him have it? (shrug)

Here's a chance to help someone get their mind off of something terrible at no actual cost to you. So what if his offer isn't instantly translatable into what you want?

Just my 2c

I am a bit confused about this post. Who are the people that missed their chance to redeem theirselves and from what? Couldnt anyone on the boards have claimed the item for him. Its kind of an interesting statement especially since boardies were already helping behind the scenes

We seem to be reading different threads. I can't tell if you're being disingenuous or you really don't get it. You seem like a nice, intelligent guy so I'll assume the later. :) Heck, you weren't even a member when this thread was created, so maybe you're not aware of its history.

And, yes, regarding your second post about me, you are correct - I meant what I wrote, not what Claudio "thought" I meant. :D

I used the term "you guys" because I didn't want to single anyone out, and in this specific case I still won't. I used the term "redeem" because of what occurred in this thread with rckstr1253, and seems to happen all too frequently with other new people trying to participate in this group activity which was designed to be fun. This was made all the more ugly in the eyes of many because of the circumstances surrounding a recent horrific event. I think it's awesome that things are being done behind the scenes to correct this; but, honestly, it shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Sometimes it helps to take a step back and put yourself in the shoes of a new person trying to fit in, make friends, and have some fun. For most new boardies who discover the PIF thread, that process starts with reading the rules on Page 1. Let's review them. I've numbered them below within the spoiler to make it easy to reference.

RULES:

1) You must not be on the Hall of Shame list or be in poor standing on the boards

4) Only one offer at a time. No new book(s) can be posted until the existing offer has been claimed

5) Post pics or scans of the book(s) you're giving away. Cell phone pics are fine

7) If none of your offers are claimed within 4 days (96 hours) of your first offer, the previous offer automatically goes back up.

8) Don't ship your offer until you confirm the following offer has been claimed.

9) Ship book(s) quickly so people aren't left hanging. No later than two weeks after someone claims your offer.

11) Please do not discuss the value of the book(s) being offered. If you don't like them, you don't have to take them

13) Be honest

14) Have fun!

rckstr1253 did everything correctly. He didn't break or bend a single rule. He was polite, courteous, respectful, and eager to try as hard as he could.

B) Nine hours into his 24 hour time limit, the badgering to get his offer up immediately began.

C) 11 hours in, he explained he was searching for comics that he thought someone might be interested in.

D) Quite a few comments were made after this about hoping he would be unsuccessful and that it would revert, along with more badgering about how long his offer was taking.

E) Six hours before his time limit was up, he posted his first offer and explained that if they weren't taken he'd put up some more options. At this point, according to rule #7, he had 96 more hours before his offer reverted.

F) Seven hours into his 96 hour limit, he put up several new books as a new option to his offer.

G) Rule #11 states very clearly that value is not to be discussed, and that if you don't like the offer, then you don't have to take it.

H) Less than nine hours into his 96 hour limit, the "advice" started on what he might be doing wrong, along with not-so-subtle hints at value and demand.

K) rckstr1253 now starts asking whether this book or that book would be acceptable "directly" to those who are complaining about his offer.

L) More value comments follow, as well as comments about the unacceptability of his offer, along with self-congratulations for not treating him harsher.

M) At 21 hours into his 96 hour limit, rckstr1253 is now apologizing for not realizing the value of his claim in relation to his offer and vows to find something more valuable. He mentions looking for some SA ASM books.

N) Three hours later, 24 hours into his 96 hour limit, he briefly explains his personal tragedy and the difficulty he's having concentrating and trying to find new books; bows out gracefully, allowing his claim to revert.

O) Three minutes later, someone posts a nasty, callous little animated gif which states, "Well...Bye."

Q) Six minutes later, someone reminds everyone about the tragedy and posts a link to a thread explaining it.

Do you understand what I mean by "redeem" now? I would not want to be treated like this, and I know you wouldn't either - yet it happens here all the time, especially when new people try to participate.

There is absolutely no need for this behavior. The rules are in place now to prevent "junk donkeys" from getting away with their previous abuses. There is no need to police anyone's offer. If it's unacceptable, either the offeror will get the message on his own because of lack of interest, or it will revert after 4 days.

On the other hand, there "is" a need to police bad behavior from those who really just want a closed, fast-moving trading thread, and are abusing those who are following the rules and using the thread as it was designed - to Pay It Forward and have fun.

This thread was started with the best of intentions, and I'd really hate to see it locked or deleted, but that's where it's headed if something doesn't change soon. To those who break the rules, chase off new participants unless they put up the books they personally want, and generally seem to enjoy the constant fighting and bickering - this isn't the thread for you, please start one of your own.

Well put, Let me be the first to say if i was out of line in anyway on this PIF, i am sorry. Some of us, even myself need to remember what the meaning of PIF stands for.

Pay It Forward - when someone does a good dead for you, instead of paying them back, pay it forward by doing a good deed for someone else.

Like ditch said...we had a perfect chance to help someone get their mind off of something terrible at no actual cost to you. Thank you Ditch for your words of wisdom.

Just my 2c

RULES:

13) Be honest

14) Have fun!

Thank you for taking the time to create the most important port this thread has seen in a very long time.

(Can I use this as another example of you telling us that someone may have meant something else other than what they actually said, even though you really have no idea? :D )

No. And once again, Ben, you are taking words too literally (= at face value).

Actual spoken language does not work like that – not always people truly mean what they impulsively say or do, straight away. We are also carried away temporarily by emotions.

If you still can’t get the concept, I have no idea on how to express it differently, considering I also feel more than often handicapped in writing in english… :shrug:

@Ditch: many good points, but just giving some advice can’t be always seen as a negative element. New participants might benefit from it.

And as I already repeated, many people did not even realize the specific case of rckstr, and each person has its own temper anyway, we should always remember this.

Not always one is "nasty" as he/she appears.

Great discussions.

Based on the recent posts the best course of action is to just not respond if you do not like an offer. Are people allowed to offer feedback if the person says "no one likes my books" or asks "are my offers not ok?" which happens pretty much every time a new person participates in the thread and the thread stalls for a couple days? Is it ok for the poster to say "tough crowd" or something similar or is that seen as being derogatory toward people not taking the offer?

Ditch,

I agree with your points as it applies to new participants specifically.

Those with a history of PIF abuse are a COMPLETELY different animal.

It does seem that in your reply to CAHokie that you are pointing the finger at him in some of your statements.

If you read back through the posts, you'll see that he went to great lengths to be extremely helpful and welcoming.

Great discussions.

Based on the recent posts the best course of action is to just not respond if you do not like an offer. Are people allowed to offer feedback if the person says "no one likes my books" or asks "are my offers not ok?" which happens pretty much every time a new person participates in the thread and the thread stalls for a couple days? Is it ok for the poster to say "tough crowd" or something similar or is that seen as being derogatory toward people not taking the offer?

Well, this definitely means getting oversensitive! :D

Great discussions.

hm

Lots of questions.

What are your answers to the questions you asked?

:bump: Gambit's offer :bump:

Offer (1) - A bunch of 1st app's or #1's - (Doomsday/Gambit/Ghost rider/Omega Red/Blink - Wolverine 1/Moonkight 1/ Cable 1/ Spidey 1/ Ghost rider 1..etc ) (thumbs u

epji89.jpg

--------------------------------------

Offer (2) - 1 of my fav punisher covers! - and is getting back in the lime light with next seasons DD series.

jh4hsg.jpg

Great discussions.

hm

Lots of questions.

I see only two questions. (shrug) I tend to wait to see how others respond to my questions to not sway their answers.

Great discussions.

hm

Lots of questions.

I see only two questions. (shrug) I tend to wait to see how others respond to my questions to not sway their answers.

Sorry. Jimmers already posted the correct answer.

:gossip: I count 3 btw.

My answer is play nice kids!

Jimmers... :luhv: