• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collection in storage...suffering BIG TIME separation anxiety!

18 posts in this topic

My wife & I are separating, so last week I had to move into a temporary living situation that can't accommodate my belongings, so I had to put all my stuff in storage for a couple of months until I get my own place set up.

Meanwhile, I never realized just how much I thoroughly enjoyed & relied upon having my things displayed & readily available to me. Being separated from my collection for the first time just sucks. I know that all my stuff is safe where it's at, but it's just weird being without it.

Has anyone else gone through a similar situation & found themselves feeling the same way?

Peace,

Jim

I'm just pulling everything out of storage after having had everything locked away for two years trying to sell our house, even though my new comic room is a smaller part of the new house than in the old one, it feels great to be able to not have to share the room with any one else and be able to have stacks of books everywhere. :cloud9:

I would go nuts if my collection had to be stored away from my home.

Sorry to hear about the separation from your wife (and the comics). It's a good sign you are more concerned with being separated from your comics though. lol

That sucks man sorry!

mess! It doubly sucks cus I know for me and I assume you since you're starting this thread, having your books to read and/or look at would probably help get your mind off all the other going on! :sorry:

Sorry man! Hopefully it all works out for the best for you and FAST! :wishluck:

I It's a good sign you are more concerned with being separated from your comics though. lol

[font:Book Antiqua]Ahhh, Mmmm, Yes it is...[/font]

:eyeroll:

Did I do something wrong? I was just kidding around....

I It's a good sign you are more concerned with being separated from your comics though. lol

[font:Book Antiqua]Ahhh, Mmmm, Yes it is...[/font]

:eyeroll:

Did I do something wrong? I was just kidding around....

[font:Book Antiqua]In any case you Hit the Nail...[/font]

Make sure you are not storing in basement or first floor of facility. I have seen the lower levels flood. Also , top floor might have leak in roof. Mid floors is the best bet!

At least you weren't for Ed to sell them. Or worse she knows how much you loved them. While your out she destroys them or worse gives them away ;(

Good luck man

1 divorce and counting for me

Thanks everyone for being so cool & offering me your kind words of support. It's all MUCH appreciated, believe me.

I didn't get into all of my marital woes & relationship issues because I didn't want to bore you with that stuff here. Maybe some other time I'll unload some of that personal stuff, but I'm not up for it now. Nope, I just wanted to reach out about something that I was sure you could all identify or empathize with.

Now, maybe you're not all as OCD about your collections as I am ( with regards to it's physical whereabouts ), but it's TOUGH not having instant access to it at any moment of the day. And not only is it my comics, but also all my books, my vintage monster magazines, action figures, movie & TV tie ins, my DVDs/Blu Rays, my early Stephen King first editions, as well as my entire boxing memorabilia collection ( vintage runs of THE RING magazine & BOXING ILLUSTRATED, RING Record Books, autographed 8 x 10s & photos, posters, programs, card sets etc. ) among other things.

Stuff that hasn't been out of my sight for decades...

Oh, don't get me wrong. For the most part, I'm doing OK.

I'm not constantly pacing about, wringing my hands and/or gnashing my teeth. Really, I'm not.

There's just an subtle, underlying feeling of absence that won't go away until I'm settled in somewhere with my

stuff.

Jimbo

Sorry for your problems.

I'm in the process of moving (again) and am getting a storage unit for the short term. I can't wait to stick my books in there. I'll keep a couple short boxes with me (the good stuff), but have not problem sticking the other 10 longboxes away. Only wish I could get rid of more of themj permanently.

When my ex and I separated, I was in Iraq, knowing that she would be getting into the storage unit to take her half of "everything." I still feel lucky she was ethical enough to lock it up and make sure it was paid up for another 6 months 'til I returned.

Well, I will give her credit where credit is due guys.

We've been a couple since 1999 & married since 2001 & she's NEVER taken anything of mine, nor threatened my collections or collectibles in any way. Quite the opposite in fact, she's always been very supportive of my hobbies & interests.

So, I don't expect her to change in that respect.

If she did, I'd be absolutely shocked.

Our relationship & marriage is a VERY complicated one & it would take a short novel for me to go into all the reasons behind this separation. I don't even know if I understand what it's all about at this point to be truthful. All I can say with absolute certainty is that I still love her & that this living apart wasn't my idea. But, it's happened & I've just got to learn to cope with things the way that they are & then, go from there.

Jim