• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Polybag Removal & Dynamic Forces COA Questions

27 posts in this topic

All,

I have a Platinum Superman 75 and thinking about sending in to CGC. Should I remove from bag to keep goodies or do I let CGC remove from bag? Do they every grade while in bag?

Also I have a Dynamic Forces ASM 1999 #1 Variant that is sealed in bag / board with COA. Do I submit like this or do I keep COA. If I submitted with would I get it back?

Thanks all for your help!

No doubt I'll catch some grief for mentioning it - but PGX will slab COA's in the holder, CGC will not. I prefer PGX for books that have COA's or things like 3-D glasses or loose trading cards for this reason. You just tell them where you want the loose item at. I prefer the back cover.

No one slabs polybagged books without removing them from the bag - they have to see the book to grade it.

I had a similar thought recently...

I see slabbed copies of Superman #75 on Ebay, and they say "Poly Bagged edition" on the label. Yet I see some people selling bagged and un-bagged raw copies.

So my question is: does the CGC knock the book down a grade for shipping it to them un-bagged?

Same goes for the 22k Onslaught books. They are sealed with COA. Does breaking the seal and keeping the COA affect the grade when sending it in?

Remove it from the bag first. How would you know if it is damaged or not before sending it in.

+1

Why would you submit the book before removing it from the bag? I've opened a few polybags and the condition of the book inside was horrible.

Take the book out and send the COA. CGC sent mine back to me last time but the DF edition is noted on the slab anyway.

CGC grades the book. Full stop. It doesn't matter if it has a COA or if it was in a poly bag. The book will be graded on it's merits.

Remove it from the bag first. How would you know if it is damaged or not before sending it in.

+1

Why would you submit the book before removing it from the bag? I've opened a few polybags and the condition of the book inside was horrible.

Take the book out and send the COA. CGC sent mine back to me last time but the DF edition is noted on the slab anyway.

CGC grades the book. Full stop. It doesn't matter if it has a COA or if it was in a poly bag. The book will be graded on it's merits.

Great, thanks.

Everything has been answered in this thread.

Before CGC, opening a polybagged comic would drop 50% ofF the value. People used to buy 2 back in the 90's. One for their collection to keep sealed and one to open and read.

For that reason i despise polybagged comics. Worst gimmick ever. However i will only buy them sealed because i want the stuff that often came inside like trading cards or posters, etc. Otherwise the book is incomplete.

In many cases the poly bag itself will add defects to the book. Through indents from the cards between the bag and comic, or from the seal seam on the bag itself.

Does polybag removal need to be disclosed? And is there a thread discussing proper techniques of polybag removal?

I've read that if you send polybags to CGC they remove the bag and items, but don't ship either back - you just get the slabbed comic. Is that true?

I have a copy of Supes 75 bagged and unbagged edition that are both duel signed (right on the bag). Of course the COA is for both books together. So the polybagged edition could never be opened because of the autograph alone.

What I don't understand is why the CGC couldn't offer an ungraded slab like they do with SS art done on art boards. The option to slab the book without the grade just to preserve what you have.

I've read that if you send polybags to CGC they remove the bag and items, but don't ship either back - you just get the slabbed comic. Is that true?

I have a copy of Supes 75 bagged and unbagged edition that are both duel signed (right on the bag). Of course the COA is for both books together. So the polybagged edition could never be opened because of the autograph alone.

What I don't understand is why the CGC couldn't offer an ungraded slab like they do with SS art done on art boards. The option to slab the book without the grade just to preserve what you have.

Or you could stick it in a mylar.

I had a similar thought recently...

I see slabbed copies of Superman #75 on Ebay, and they say "Poly Bagged edition" on the label. Yet I see some people selling bagged and un-bagged raw copies.

So my question is: does the CGC knock the book down a grade for shipping it to them un-bagged?

I don't think so - I removed my Supes 75 platinum from it's bag prior to sending and it came back a 9.6 (and I'd agree that's the shape it's in - has a tiny corner crease and a bit of blunting on the spine corners). CGC says in their FAQ section your should remove prior to sending and I don't think they could downgrade you for following their instructions:

"CGC does not certify sealed poly-bagged books. To have a poly-bagged book certified by CGC, you must remove the book from its poly-bag or send written approval authorizing CGC to remove it. The words “Poly-bag removed” appear on the CGC label."

No doubt I'll catch some grief for mentioning it - but PGX will slab COA's in the holder, CGC will not. I prefer PGX for books that have COA's or things like 3-D glasses or loose trading cards for this reason. You just tell them where you want the loose item at. I prefer the back cover.

I don't think I'd want anything slabbed in with a book. I used to keep trading cards in with the comics they came with (think Darker Image 1) in a bag and board. No matter if they were in front or behind the comic, they have almost always left an indentation or caused some sort of discoloration on the book.

I don't think I'd want anything slabbed in with a book. I used to keep trading cards in with the comics they came with (think Darker Image 1) in a bag and board. No matter if they were in front or behind the comic, they have almost always left an indentation or caused some sort of discoloration on the book.

And aside from that, wouldn't a trading card, or any other paper object, be (in theory, at least) as harmful for the book as those cheap backing boards that are not meant for long term storage? (shrug)

I'm not saying that's necessarily the case, but I'd probably worry about it.

I just sent away two dynamic forces street fighter #0's poly bagged with COA's, both noted as DF books and COA's were returned, which was great, on the downside one was a 9.8 the other a 9.2. So now I'm going to have to pay for the notes to find out why.

DF COA questions? Good, I don't have to start a thread (though this is probably the wrong forum).

In the mid 90's I bought an X-Factor #92 (hologram cover) signed and numbered by Quesada w/ a COA. I'm pretty sure it's a DF COA, not sealed in a bag. The thing is, JQ numbered it 1120 out of 2000 (or maybe 3000-can't remember), but the COA says 1020. Some time had passed before I even freakin' noticed it :facepalm:

Does this happen often? I imagine the error was on DF's part :shrug: Either they somehow got switched, or DF printed 2 COA's with 1020 on it. I also imagine if it's the latter (and since it's 20 years later), I'm SOL.

So... anyone out there have an X-Factor #92 signed and numbered 1020 by Quesada w/ a DF COA that says 1120?

I'm pretty sure it was DF. I blew a disc out in my back so I can't go digging it out to check.

Needle in a haystack.

Does polybag removal need to be disclosed? And is there a thread discussing proper techniques of polybag removal?
The removal techniques are debatable, but the real question is whether or not to remove the bag before pressing.