• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do ...

88 posts in this topic

If you agreed to pay $60 prior to the end of the auction, then you have no complaint.

If shipping was calculated after, you have a complaint.

So because someone was too lazy, stupid or uneducated to know they are getting ripped off and agree to the ripoff, they can't complain and the seller deserves a 5 star rating?!? ???

+1 to what tony said (thumbs u

Sellers are NOT supposed to make their profit by raping you on shipping. That's the whole reason for the star system and like tony said, if someone does rape you on shipping you are SUPPOSED to ding them. It doesn't matter what was agreed to. Sellers aren't supposed to be making $30 off you from overcharging shipping. I don't buy the notion that it's ok to rip someone off just because they may not be savvy enough to know any better.

I don't see how anyone can justify charging $60 when the actual cost was $28.50??? This whole "don't neg someone" "don't 1 star someone" movement you always see just seems to me to be the herd mentality of people that sell on eBay. They don't want anyone having the idea that it's perfectly fine to neg or 1 star someone because then down the line they might get neg'd or get a 1 star rating. Positive feedback and 5 star ratings are NOT some god given birthright for eBay sellers. They have to earn it. If they don't, you can and SHOULD neg them or give them 1star. Not doing that is how people like robojo and bijoubaby maintain their 100% feedback and continue to prey on people.

If a eBay seller doesn't earn your ratings and won't work with you to make it right, IMO it's your duty to slam them in the ratings to help protect other buyers (shrug)

And buyers ARE supposed to look at the shipping prices listed in the auction and decide for themselves whether they think they're reasonable or not PRIOR to bidding on the auction.

If they don't, how is that the sellers fault?

I'm not saying that there aren't azzhat sellers out there who have intentionally vague shipping costs for the sole purpose of padding their profit. I recently bought 3 items from a seller that each had a shipping cost of $6 and where the seller stated that "he would gladly combine shipping". Well, the combined shipping ended up being a $1 discount on two of the items, and a total shipping charge of $16 for something that was mailed in the $5 Priority flat-rate envelope. A seller like that deserves to be dinged.

But if a seller clearly states that the shipping cost is XX, or that he will not combine shipping, it's up to the buyer to decide for themselves whether they'll agree to those terms or not. Nobody is forcing them to bid on the seller's auctions and crying about a clearly-stated shipping cost after the fact is ludicrous.

Well, I totally disagree with that. Let's say I'm buying a statue and the shipping says $50. I figure hey, it's heavy as hell so $50 is reasonable and I buy it. The package comes and the shipping was $22. You think that's fine and ok because "I agreed" to $50???

I'm sorry but THAT is "ludicrous"! Like I said before, I don't think it's ok to rip someone off just because they didn't know any better and agreed to it: are you disagreeing with that? Just because someone doesn't know any better, they can be ripped off and if they then complain its ludicrous??? I know you don't believe that so what are you talking about

You bought the item with a clearly listed shipping price of $50. If you thought the total price (eg. the item price & the shipping cost) was reasonable at the time of purpose, why is it suddenly unreasonable if the seller doesn't spend every single penny of the $50 on shipping?

And how would this be any different than a buyer overpaying for a book on eBay because he's unaware of GPA or the market in general? Do you think it's reasonable for him to neg the seller because he couldn't be bothered to do any homework?

If I see a listing on ebay with a crazy shipping price, I don't bid on the auction - end of story.

Again, I don't care what the circumstance is, I don't think it's ok to rip people off because they were too stupid, lazy or whatever to do their homework. Yes, it would be great if everyone educated themselves so they never got ripped off. It would also be great if there weren't scumbag sellers looking to prey on people's stupidity waiting for that 1 uninformed buyer to rip off.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one because I'm just not a fan of taking advantage of people no matter what the circumstance (shrug)

So those of us who disagree with you are fans of "taking advantage of people"?

I'm not a fan of taking advantage of people, I'm a fan of taking responsibility for myself. We're not talking about buying baby formula here; these are luxuries. Buyers have the option of passing on items; buyers have the ability to find out what things should cost. If the shipping costs are spelled out clearly, you have every opportunity to determine whether or not those costs are "fair". If they're not, move on. What is this crazy sense of entitlement with buyers? Why is it the job of a seller to do your homework for you?

Sellers are NOT supposed to make their profit by raping you on shipping. That's the whole reason for the star system and like tony said, if someone does rape you on shipping you are SUPPOSED to ding them. It doesn't matter what was agreed to. Sellers aren't supposed to be making $30 off you from overcharging shipping. I don't buy the notion that it's ok to rip someone off just because they may not be savvy enough to know any better.

I don't see how anyone can justify charging $60 when the actual cost was $28.50??? This whole "don't neg someone" "don't 1 star someone" movement you always see just seems to me to be the herd mentality of people that sell on eBay. They don't want anyone having the idea that it's perfectly fine to neg or 1 star someone because then down the line they might get neg'd or get a 1 star rating. Positive feedback and 5 star ratings are NOT some god given birthright for eBay sellers. They have to earn it. If they don't, you can and SHOULD neg them or give them 1star. Not doing that is how people like robojo and bijoubaby maintain their 100% feedback and continue to prey on people.

If a eBay seller doesn't earn your ratings and won't work with you to make it right, IMO it's your duty to slam them in the ratings to help protect other buyers (shrug)

And buyers ARE supposed to look at the shipping prices listed in the auction and decide for themselves whether they think they're reasonable or not PRIOR to bidding on the auction.

I'm not saying that there aren't azzhat sellers out there who have intentionally vague shipping costs for the sole purpose of padding their profit. I recently bought 3 items from a seller that each had a shipping cost of $6 and where the seller stated that "he would gladly combine shipping". Well, the combined shipping ended up being a $1 discount on two of the items, and a total shipping charge of $16 for something that was mailed in the $5 Priority flat-rate envelope. A seller like that deserves to be dinged.

But if a seller clearly states that the shipping cost is XX, or that he will not combine shipping, it's up to the buyer to decide for themselves whether they'll agree to those terms or not. Nobody is forcing them to bid on the seller's auctions and crying about a clearly-stated shipping cost after the fact is ludicrous.

Well, I totally disagree with that. Let's say I'm buying a statue and the shipping says $50. I figure hey, it's heavy as hell so $50 is reasonable and I buy it. The package comes and the shipping was $22. You think that's fine and ok because "I agreed" to $50???

I'm sorry but THAT is "ludicrous"! Like I said before, I don't think it's ok to rip someone off just because they didn't know any better and agreed to it: are you disagreeing with that? Just because someone doesn't know any better, they can be ripped off and if they then complain its ludicrous??? I know you don't believe that so what are you talking about

You bought the item with a clearly listed shipping price of $50. If you thought the total price (eg. the item price & the shipping cost) was reasonable at the time of purpose, why is it suddenly unreasonable if the seller doesn't spend every single penny of the $50 on shipping?

And how would this be any different than a buyer overpaying for a book on eBay because he's unaware of GPA or the market in general? Do you think it's reasonable for him to neg the seller because he couldn't be bothered to do any homework?

If I see a listing on ebay with a crazy shipping price, I don't bid on the auction - end of story.

Again, I don't care what the circumstance is, I don't think it's ok to rip people off because they were too stupid, lazy or whatever to do their homework. Yes, it would be great if everyone educated themselves so they never got ripped off. It would also be great if there weren't scumbag sellers looking to prey on people's stupidity waiting for that 1 uninformed buyer to rip off.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one because I'm just not a fan of taking advantage of people no matter what the circumstance (shrug)

So ... whenever someone sells comic books, they'll need to be priced exactly at FMV and not a penny higher - because otherwise it could be construed as taking advantage of people who don't know the market? :baiting:

Don't get me wrong here - I think sellers who grossly overcharge on shipping are the scum of the earth.

But ... there is such a thing as personal responsibility - if you hit the BIN on an ASM #300 in CGC 9.0 that's listed for $1,000 or a $5 book with a $100 shipping charge, it's ultimately your choice to do so. You're not paying the seller for their expertise in regards to fair market values or accurate shipping charges - you're paying them for a specific item, listed at whatever price they think they can get, and whether you end up with a good deal or not has nothing to do with the seller, and all to do with you.

If you agreed to pay $60 prior to the end of the auction, then you have no complaint.

If shipping was calculated after, you have a complaint.

Buyers have every right to complain if in their view - and their view only - shipping costs are excessive. Regardless of when they were calculated. eBay says so, it's their marketplace and they set a feedback procedure up just for that purpose. It's the seller that can go somewhere else if they don't like getting 1 star under the detail seller rating for shipping when they charge more than it costs.

eBay has worked hard - still has work to do but has worked hard - at eliminating the "caveat emptor" or "let the buyer beware" mentality on eBay. Buyer protection, feedback system and rules, policies and fee structure that reward "good" seller practices.

I'd like to say yet one more time that this most likley resolves with an email from Buyer to Seller. If it doesn't work out to the Buyer's satisfaction - that's what the feedback is for.

So those of us who disagree with you are fans of "taking advantage of people"?

I'm not a fan of taking advantage of people, I'm a fan of taking responsibility for myself. We're not talking about buying baby formula here; these are luxuries. Buyers have the option of passing on items; buyers have the ability to find out what things should cost. If the shipping costs are spelled out clearly, you have every opportunity to determine whether or not those costs are "fair". If they're not, move on. What is this crazy sense of entitlement with buyers? Why is it the job of a seller to do your homework for you?

What is this crazy sense of entitlement to sellers that as long as someone is too lazy to do their homework, it's ok to rip them off???

See how that works??? lol

You guys don't do like this because you know its business so I can't for the life o me understand why you are defending it other than I guess just to argue with me for the sake of arguin with me.

Under your theory, no one should ever complain about robojo or bijoubaby because they should have done their homework and known they were buying a cracked PLOD and should just 5 star them on every purchase.

Under your theory, no one should ever complain about robojo or bijoubaby because they should have done their homework and known they were buying a cracked PLOD and should just 5 star them on every purchase.

You're kidding, right?

If robojo/bijoubaby actually disclosed in their auction descriptions that they were selling cracked-out PLODS, then, yes, a buyer would have zero reason to complain.

This sort of thing happens to me all the time.

Even if I know the shipping cost is too high, I dont usually say anything until I recieve it, just in case it really is that high, or else you get "Canadians always cry about shipping, thats it, Im not shipping internationally anymore"

Then I find out once it arrives that the actual cost was no where near what I paid.

Its very very common.

Usually, having something come from overseas is cheaper, than 3 miles away just across the line.

You're kidding, right?

If robojo/bijoubaby actually disclosed in their auction descriptions that they were selling cracked-out PLODS, then, yes, a buyer would have zero reason to complain.

Would you EVER charge $60 shipping if you knew it was only going to cost you $28?

I already know the answer. You wouldn't because you know its a thing to do like you already said. even if you hadnt said it, i know you are WAY too highly regarded around here to be doing business like that. So why are you defending someone else doing it when you know its a thing to do?

I get that you guys want people to take responsibility for themselves and their actions. thats great and i agree but we all know a lot of people dont. Those people should get ripped off? I know you dont agree with that so i just dont understand why you are defending someone charging the OP $60 for a $28 shipping job?

I dont understand how ANYONE can not think the OP is justified in giving him 1 star on shipping charges when he charged $60 for a $28 shipping job. Thats the entire reason there is a rating system for shipping, to prevent people from doing this. If the system was "the shipping is listed so if you agree, you agreee and cant complain", there wouldnt be a star rating option for "was shipping charges reasonable" would there???

Any buyer who buys from a seller and does not ask them (via PM or ebay message) how they plan on shipping the item and how they pack the item, is just asking to get screwed over.

If the auction or listing states Priority Mail - then it better ship priority.

If the auction or listing states that they use a box / carboard sanwhich method w/ bubble wrap / packing papter for safety - then it better have that.

If the above two things happen, then I am okay with paying shipping that is close to what the shipping costs. ie. I'll pay $13-15 for a well packed flat rate box that I know should only cost $10.50 postage to ship.

If the seller puts a generic shipping price/method/combining policiy or doesn't list one at all, you have to contact them before buying/bidding.

Take some responbsibllity or expect to be nervous everytime you buy something over the internet.

How can you not see the distinction between something that is disclosed upfront and agreed upon by the buyer (shipping costs) vs. something that is not disclosed?

Didn't you go to law school? :baiting:

How do you feel about undisclosed pressing?

How do you feel about Chuck Rozanski and the Edgar Church books?

How do you feel about Wall Street?

How do you feel about your government?

How can you not see the distinction between something that is disclosed upfront and agreed upon by the buyer (shipping costs) vs. something that is not disclosed?

great, that was a bad example.

Still, are you ever gonna answer the question ive asked 5 times now?

YOU would never charge someone $60 for something that costs $28 so why are you defending someone that did??? ???

YOU would never charge someone $60 for something that costs $28 so why are you defending someone that did??? ???

I wouldn't charge $800 for a $35 bottle of Ketel One, but when I'm bangin' in the clubs, that's what the price is.

I wouldn't charge $800 for a $35 bottle of Ketel One, but when I'm bangin' in the clubs, that's what the price is.

All rules on pricing go out the window in strip clubs :baiting:

Not that i'd know but a "friend" told me the last time he went, the ATM fee was $15! :o

I already know the answer.

too lasy, stupid, etc to "educate"

no one should ever complain

someone was too lazy, stupid or uneducated

they are getting ripped off and agree to the ripoff, they can't complain

they were too stupid, lazy or whatever.

Again, another distinction that you're not getting for some reason. I'm not defending the practice of overcharging for shipping; I'm saying that in cases where the costs are disclosed upfront, it's on the buyer to decide if they'll pay or pass.

What I don't understand is why you're rallying against sellers who overcharge for shipping, but not, for example, dealers who overprice their inventory? What's the difference?

I already know the answer.

too lasy, stupid, etc to "educate"

no one should ever complain

someone was too lazy, stupid or uneducated

they are getting ripped off and agree to the ripoff, they can't complain

they were too stupid, lazy or whatever.

:roflmao:

You're kidding, right?

Would you EVER charge $60 shipping if you knew it was only going to cost you $28?

I already know the answer. You wouldn't because you know its a thing to do like you already said. even if you hadnt said it, i know you are WAY too highly regarded around here to be doing business like that. So why are you defending someone else doing it when you know its a thing to do?

I get that you guys want people to take responsibility for themselves and their actions. thats great and i agree but we all know a lot of people dont. Those people should get ripped off? I know you dont agree with that so i just dont understand why you are defending someone charging the OP $60 for a $28 shipping job?

I dont understand how ANYONE can not think the OP is justified in giving him 1 star on shipping charges when he charged $60 for a $28 shipping job. Thats the entire reason there is a rating system for shipping, to prevent people from doing this. If the system was "the shipping is listed so if you agree, you agreee and cant complain", there wouldnt be a star rating option for "was shipping charges reasonable" would there???

Like I said earlier, I think people who overcharge on shipping are rather scummy :thumbsup:

But, again, if you can't be bothered to educate yourself on any purchase you're about to make, I'm also of the firm belief that the fault lies with you and not the guy who's selling the item (outside of not disclosing relevant information, of course).

I've bought books on eBay where the shipping prices were unreasonably high, but the item itself was priced low enough that it was still a great deal. That's actually pretty much the basis for Amazon's marketplace system - you see books listed a $0.01 with a $3.99 pr item shipping charge. Meaning that if you buy 3 books from the same seller, you'll be charged $0.03 for the books and $11.97 for shipping even though the seller will send the three books together and postage will probably only be $3 or so for media mail.

In a situation like that, why would I feel ripped off? I know exactly what I'm paying pr. book ($4.00) and it's my choice whether I find that acceptable enough to hit the buy button or not.

I'm sick & tired of people not taking any personal responsibility for their own actions - we're not talking about food, diapers or anything that could be construed as being even remotely essential to your daily living; we're talking about adults buying items on eBay where any insufficiently_thoughtful_person can see that an auction with a shipping cost of $30 and a item cost of $10 is going to cost them a grand total of $40. If that math is too hard for the buyer, then they shouldn't be buying on eBay period.

I can see now that you get a special thrill from sometimes just throwing the bare hook in the water.

Again, another distinction that you're not getting for some reason. I'm not defending the practice of overcharging for shipping; I'm saying that in cases where the costs are disclosed upfront, it's on the buyer to decide if they'll pay or pass.

What I don't understand is why you're rallying against sellers who overcharge for shipping, but not, for example, dealers who overprice their inventory? What's the difference?

I will to a degree. If someone is listing a $2,000 book for $3,000, i'm not going to start a campaign against them. Someone like blackstar though, i think is the scum of the earth. Yes, someone sure as hell should know better than to buy a 6.0 X-men 1 for $50,000. They definitely SHOULD. Still, if for some morronic reason they dont, i dont think its right at all that blackstar is going to rip them off by charging 20 times its actual value. I think every single one of their sales like that is horrible no matter how stupid the buyer is (shrug)

I think we may be misunderstanding each other though with the shipping thing here. In the OP's case, he said he bought a lot of cards. Now, i dont know what the heck that means but i think its fairly reasonable that he thought the package was SOOO big that the actual shipping cost was going to be very close to $60 which is why he agreed to it. Should he have known better? probably but not definitely in my mind. He doesnt know how they are going to be packed and maybe he thought it would actually cost $50+ to ship it. based on his post, i'm pretty sure he didnt think it was only going to cost $28.

thats what i have a problem with here. if we were talking 1 slab, most people know what size package thats going to be and approximately what the cost would be so you'd have to be retarded to agree to $60 shipping unless that included a ton of insurance. This seems like a different case to me though where he reasonably could have thought the shipping was going to be MUCH closer to the $60 he apparently agreed to which is what bothers me about this (thumbs u

When you buy a new car, your subject to a "destination charge" to transport the car from the port/factory to your dealer. These shipping charge ranges anywhere from $600 - $900. Knowing that you must pay this charge to get the car you want, you AGREE to pay it. Whether you live in the middle of Alaska or in Detroit next to the factory, you must pay it to get the car you want, regardless of what it cost the manufacturer to ship

Is there padding built into that destination fee? Are they making money off of it? You bet, but again, you're the one buying it, you're the one agreeing to pay this charge ahead of time. That's the beauty of capitalism, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY IT! The same goes for any tangible good/service.

I periodically sell on ebay, and while $60 is excessive for shipping and is something I would have a hard time charging a buyer, it was agreed to by both buyer and seller beforehand and therefore is a contract. If the buyer has remorse after realizing that the seller profited on shipping, well that's his problem. Don't screw the guy on feedback because you have some sort of feeling of entitlement. You bought something for a total price, and likely thought you got a good deal. Why should that change after realizing what the sellers cost was on shipping?

The only possible exception to this is if the dealer was purposely not clear on shipping or combining shipping, but then again, you likely had 7 days to figure it out before bidding and the auction ended.