• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do ...

88 posts in this topic

I think we may be misunderstanding each other though with the shipping thing here. In the OP's case, he said he bought a lot of cards. Now, i dont know what the heck that means but i think its fairly reasonable that he thought the package was SOOO big that the actual shipping cost was going to be very close to $60 which is why he agreed to it. Should he have known better? probably but not definitely in my mind. He doesnt know how they are going to be packed and maybe he thought it would actually cost $50+ to ship it. based on his post, i'm pretty sure he didnt think it was only going to cost $28.

thats what i have a problem with here. if we were talking 1 slab, most people know what size package thats going to be and approximately what the cost would be so you'd have to be retarded to agree to $60 shipping unless that included a ton of insurance. This seems like a different case to me though where he reasonably could have thought the shipping was going to be MUCH closer to the $60 he apparently agreed to which is what bothers me about this (thumbs u

That's a different scenario, though.

If the OP wasn't informed of the $60 shipping charge prior to making a purchase, then, yes, the seller should either refund him the overage or be prepared to get killed on his shipping DSRs.

If the seller, however, had a combined shipping calculator that clearly showed what the total shipping cost was going to be - or informed the buyer prior to the sale that he should expect a $60 shipping charge - well, then, again, the buyer has absolutely nothing to complain about.

When you buy a new car, your subject to a "destination charge" to transport the car from the port/factory to your dealer. These shipping charge ranges anywhere from $600 - $900. Knowing that you must pay this charge to get the car you want, you AGREE to pay it. Whether you live in the middle of Alaska or in Detroit next to the factory, you must pay it to get the car you want, regardless of what it cost the manufacturer to ship

Is there padding built into that destination fee? Are they making money off of it? You bet, but again, you're the one buying it, you're the one agreeing to pay this charge ahead of time. That's the beauty of capitalism, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY IT! The same goes for any tangible good/service.

I periodically sell on ebay, and while $60 is excessive for shipping and is something I would have a hard time charging a buyer, it was agreed to by both buyer and seller beforehand and therefore is a contract. If the buyer has remorse after realizing that the seller profited on shipping, well that's his problem. Don't screw the guy on feedback because you have some sort of feeling of entitlement. You bought something for a total price, and likely thought you got a good deal. Why should that change after realizing what the sellers cost was on shipping?

The only possible exception to this is if the dealer was purposely not clear on shipping or combining shipping, but then again, you likely had 7 days to figure it out before bidding and the auction ended.

If what you are saying was correct, eBay wouldnt have a separate star rating for wether shipping charges were reasonable now would they???

They do for exactly the opposite of what you are saying. No matter what you agree to, the seller is not supposed to rape you on shipping and if they do, you can and should give them 1 star. its the whole freaking point of the rating system! :facepalm:

I think we may be misunderstanding each other though with the shipping thing here. In the OP's case, he said he bought a lot of cards. Now, i dont know what the heck that means but i think its fairly reasonable that he thought the package was SOOO big that the actual shipping cost was going to be very close to $60 which is why he agreed to it. Should he have known better? probably but not definitely in my mind. He doesnt know how they are going to be packed and maybe he thought it would actually cost $50+ to ship it. based on his post, i'm pretty sure he didnt think it was only going to cost $28.

thats what i have a problem with here. if we were talking 1 slab, most people know what size package thats going to be and approximately what the cost would be so you'd have to be retarded to agree to $60 shipping unless that included a ton of insurance. This seems like a different case to me though where he reasonably could have thought the shipping was going to be MUCH closer to the $60 he apparently agreed to which is what bothers me about this (thumbs u

If the OP wasn't informed of the $60 shipping charge prior to making a purchase, then, yes, the seller should either refund him the overage or be prepared to get killed on his shipping DSRs.

If the seller, however, had a combined shipping calculator that clearly showed what the total shipping cost was going to be - or informed the buyer prior to the sale that he should expect a $60 shipping charge - well, then, again, the buyer has absolutely nothing to complain about.

hey, i see your point but i disagree no matter what he agreed to (shrug)

Obviously eBay agrees with me or they wouldnt have a separate rating for shipping chareges would they? isnt the whole point of the star system on shipping charges so that no matter what you agree to, the seller isnt supposed to rape you on shipping?

I mean am i wrong about that? Isnt that the whole reason for that particular rating? (shrug)

Obviously eBay agrees with me or they wouldnt have a separate rating for shipping chareges would they? isnt the whole point of the star system on shipping charges so that no matter what you agree to, the seller isnt supposed to rape you on shipping?

I mean am i wrong about that? Isnt that the whole reason for that particular rating? (shrug)

There are numerous reasons why it makes sense to have a shipping cost DSR, not the least of which is that providing a shipping cost isn't mandatory on an eBay auction.

"Protecting" buyers who are unable to understand that buying an item for $5 with a $45 shipping cost is no different than buying the same item for $50 with free shipping isn't one of them, though :thumbsup:

There are numerous reasons why it makes sense to have a shipping cost DSR, not the least of which is that providing a shipping cost isn't mandatory on an eBay auction.

"Protecting" buyers who are unable to understand that buying an item for $5 with a $45 shipping cost is no different than buying the same item for $50 with free shipping isn't one of them, though :thumbsup:

If that was the case though, wouldnt you only be able to enter a rating when the shipping was calculated after the auction? Wouldnt they just not let you enter a rating like they do on free shipping items on any item where the shipping cost was disclosed up front?

Let me ask you this, say someone completely uninformed buys one of blackstars comics for like $50,000. The day they get it they find this board and post it saying "look at this sweet book i got for 50k!!!". Everyone and their mother replies how they got ripped off and thats really a $2,500 book and they are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Should that person be able to leave a neg or 1 star saying they were stupid and blackstar completely ripped them off?

based on what you're saying, i assume you dont think they should since they should have known better. i agree that they should have known better but i still think its perfectly acceptable for them to neg them saying even though they were an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for buying it, they got ripped off (shrug)

Who cares about Ebay's stance on accoutability, they're a corporation and do whatever they think is in their best interests.

Who cares about Ebay's stance on accoutability, they're a corporation and do whatever they think is in their best interests.

I agree but the point is that according to eBay, you aren't supposed to be raping people on shipping on eBay. Maybe im wrong but i thought that was the whole point of this, wether its ok to 1 star or neg them for raping the OP on shipping? Thats all ive been saying is that not only is it ok but imo eBay WANTS you to neg or 1 star them because they dont want sellers raping people on shipping (shrug)

So whenever someone sells comic books, they'll need to be priced exactly at FMV and not a penny higher - because otherwise it could be construed as taking advantage of people who don't know the market? :baiting:

Don't get me wrong here - I think sellers who grossly overcharge on shipping are the scum of the earth.

But ... there is such a thing as personal responsibility - if you hit the BIN on an ASM #300 in CGC 9.0 that's listed for $1,000 or a $5 book with a $100 shipping charge, it's ultimately your choice to do so. You're not paying the seller for their expertise in regards to fair market values or accurate shipping charges - you're paying them for a specific item, listed at whatever price they think they can get, and whether you end up with a good deal or not has nothing to do with the seller, and all to do with you.

Gotta say that this works for me...I agree that it may be sucky to be charged twice the actual shipping, but if that's what the seller said it was going to be... (shrug)

So I brought a lot of cards recently from a seller I buy regularly from & got charged $60 for the shipping. When I look at the box it says $28.50 for the shipping cost ... hm Now I was just going to slam the seller with over 28 postive feed backs & then give him all low stars on the "how was the shipping" option but I thought I'd see what you guys thought of it first

(shrug)

Ebay has made some changes lately. :tonofbricks:

Were these separate auctions? If so, did the seller have a max listed on shipping?

I certainly don't sell as much on eBay as I used to, there changes get more and more convoluted, the latest one seemed to take away my ability to get eBay to stop sending their own messed up invoices.

I usually tell people not to pay until they get my invoice. I know the last time I listed on eBay, I stated in my auctions what the max was on shipping.

I THOUGHT I figured out how to post that max in the details, yet when people get the automated bills, and pay the eBay produced invoice before mine with the correct amount gets to them, and I would wind up sending a few shipping refunds. I send those invoices pretty quickly, but I can't beat the end of the auction notice, no matter what I try, lol.

Give the seller the benefit of the doubt, it's possible with 28 auctions (if that was the case) something just got messed up. Ask for a partial refund.

If they don't respond, I would contact eBay and dispute the shipping charging.

If the person stated in the auction, upfront, that the charges would be $60, I would not give a neg or a neutral, but I would give less than 5 stars, since the cost was so much less than they charged.

On a side note mschmidt, i think i had the same "combine shipping" seller you were talking about. He had shipping listed as $15 and the auction literally had 2-3 lines saying something like "i HATE the people who screw you over on shipping so i definitely combine shipping so buy multiple books and save a bunch of $$$". Literally, it was like a small paragraph talking about combining shipping and saving you money.

I end up buying 3 slabs and his "combined shipping" was $15 for the 1st one and the AWESOME deal of only $12.50 for each of the other 2 slabs i got! 3 slabs which were pretty cheap, i wanna say like $100 total, and the damn shipping was $40! The priority box comes and the shipping total was like $13.50. I contacted him and he said, "too bad, i DID combine the shipping" basically and wouldnt refund a dime :censored:

If that was the case though, wouldnt you only be able to enter a rating when the shipping was calculated after the auction? Wouldnt they just not let you enter a rating like they do on free shipping items on any item where the shipping cost was disclosed up front?

Let me ask you this, say someone completely uninformed buys one of blackstars comics for like $50,000. The day they get it they find this board and post it saying "look at this sweet book i got for 50k!!!". Everyone and their mother replies how they got ripped off and thats really a $2,500 book and they are an insufficiently_thoughtful_person. Should that person be able to leave a neg or 1 star saying they were stupid and blackstar completely ripped them off?

based on what you're saying, i assume you dont think they should since they should have known better. i agree that they should have known better but i still think its perfectly acceptable for them to neg them saying even though they were an insufficiently_thoughtful_person for buying it, they got ripped off (shrug)

If you're dumb enough to spend $50k on one of blackstarcomics' silly ebay listings, perhaps you're the kind of person who deserves a $50k wake-up call :shrug:

I firmly believe that society, in general, should look out for its people - that consumer protection & regulation isn't a bad thing.

But I also believe that at some point - particularly when you're dealing with high-end collectibles - it is not society's responsibility to protect you from your own stupidity. Anybody who collects comic books has overpaid for a book at some point or another - if you knew what you were walking into, if the cost was fully disclosed up front, trying to blame this on the seller isn't fair nor right.

If you're dumb enough to spend $50k on one of blackstarcomics' silly ebay listings, perhaps you're the kind of person who deserves a $50k wake-up call :shrug:

I firmly believe that society, in general, should look out for its people - that consumer protection & regulation isn't a bad thing.

But I also believe that at some point - particularly when you're dealing with high-end collectibles - it is not society's responsibility to protect you from your own stupidity. Anybody who collects comic books has overpaid for a book at some point or another - if you knew what you were walking into, if the cost was fully disclosed up front, trying to blame this on the seller isn't fair nor right.

wel, i agree 99% of the time but i think they are pretty extreme. I mean they literally have books that are like 30,40,50 times more expensive than they are worth. I dont understand how anyone is spending THAT type of money and have just no clue at all what its value is but i still just have a hard time saying " you should have researched it". I dont know, it just rubs me the wrong way when someone is getting ripped off no matter how dumb they were for falling for it. hell, i even feel bad for the Nigerian email scam victims :blush:

"Bought comics e-bay states near mint, book is flawed, can i dispute?... "

"So I brought a lot of cards recently from a seller I buy regularly from & got charged $60 for the shipping. When I look at the box it says $28.50 for the shipping cost... "

"My apologies but this is not an item that I have. Either someone has hacked my account or there is a major glitch with eBay. This is the second item that has come up under my account that I have had nothing to do with... "

"now he asked ebay to make a final decission what do you thing they will do???"

"Bought two issues of TOT #1 from this ebay seller Meatman0414 and it seemed like a legitimate seller but after I made my purchase and its been a couple weeks I get this email..."

"sold by bijoubaby05 on May 27 as a 6.0 raw restored ...(he's got a really good grade improvement blender)...forgets to mention Spine Split Sealed and the 1 piece of tape on 2nd page..."

"Got me to accept a best offer about 40% below ask on one of my slabs, then gave me the "check is [soon to be] in the mail" song and dance for weeks and weeks..."

"Just asking because I asked them a few questions about some of their CGC graded books, trying to see what they would take for them. They straight up told me to stop bugging them..."

"Now when I say “padded” envelope I don’t mean the kind with a layer of bubble wrap inside the lining, it was the kind that literally had shredded newspaper as its layer of “padding.”... "

"Every batch of auctions, CGC'd or raw, there are no less than 5 eBayers that they are being "slick" by bidding an item, just to see what the price is, and if they either don't want to pay that price, or don't want to bid further, they "retract" their bid... "

"I'm a little bit torn on how to handle a recent ebay purchase... "

"I assumed the whole deal was bogus but figured I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Well today the echeck did not clear... "

"hi my kid bid on this without my permission i would like you to send me the cancel transaction link i am very sorry for wasting your time with this thank you.."

"The book is less than $70 and the seller lives in CA . So where the heck is the guy getting $20 bucks flat rate shipping for 1st class ground mail. .. "

"I'm so excited! I get to partake in my very first Ebay comic book scammer!... "

"Made purchase on May 22, ebay seller promised to send this week. did not send on date. Has not responded to my e-mail yet.... "

"I agree but the point is that according to eBay, you aren't supposed to be raping people on shipping on eBay... "

hm

Neg him already. Then quit buying off eBay.

;)

"So I brought a lot of cards recently from a seller I buy regularly from & got charged $60 for the shipping. When I look at the box it says $28.50 for the shipping cost... "

"My apologies but this is not an item that I have. Either someone has hacked my account or there is a major glitch with eBay. This is the second item that has come up under my account that I have had nothing to do with... "

"Bought two issues of TOT #1 from this ebay seller Meatman0414 and it seemed like a legitimate seller but after I made my purchase and its been a couple weeks I get this email..."

"sold by bijoubaby05 on May 27 as a 6.0 raw restored ...(he's got a really good grade improvement blender)...forgets to mention Spine Split Sealed and the 1 piece of tape on 2nd page..."

"Got me to accept a best offer about 40% below ask on one of my slabs, then gave me the "check is [soon to be] in the mail" song and dance for weeks and weeks..."

"Just asking because I asked them a few questions about some of their CGC graded books, trying to see what they would take for them. They straight up told me to stop bugging them..."

"Now when I say “padded” envelope I don’t mean the kind with a layer of bubble wrap inside the lining, it was the kind that literally had shredded newspaper as its layer of “padding.”... "

"Every batch of auctions, CGC'd or raw, there are no less than 5 eBayers that they are being "slick" by bidding an item, just to see what the price is, and if they either don't want to pay that price, or don't want to bid further, they "retract" their bid... "

"I assumed the whole deal was bogus but figured I would give them the benefit of the doubt. Well today the echeck did not clear... "

"hi my kid bid on this without my permission i would like you to send me the cancel transaction link i am very sorry for wasting your time with this thank you.."

"The book is less than $70 and the seller lives in CA . So where the heck is the guy getting $20 bucks flat rate shipping for 1st class ground mail. .. "

"I'm so excited! I get to partake in my very first Ebay comic book scammer!... "

"Made purchase on May 22, ebay seller promised to send this week. did not send on date. Has not responded to my e-mail yet.... "

"I agree but the point is that according to eBay, you aren't supposed to be raping people on shipping on eBay... "

hm

;)

My quote is in there! I will, however, say that I did in fact miraculously get my books, and I am currently an Ebay Scam Virgin.

hm

;)

:signfunny:

Thats EXACTLY why i pretty much avoid eBay like the plague unless its a boardie i know(and even a few of them aren't so hot!).

Those quotes are probably just from the last couple weeks! :o

While I'm not a fan of over charging on shipping, I do take the time to LOOK at the shipping charges before bidding,

Let's take this one step further..... if shipping charges were $10.00 but actual charges were $18.00 :makepoint: , how many people are lining up to pay the extra $8.00? Not many.

here's the thing, i offer "free shipping" on most of my ebay store items, but, of course, the cost of shipping is built into my price. if someone makes offers on multiples items my analysis of the offers will include the fact that i can combine and save on shipping, but if someone just buys 10 of my items outright with no BO should I be giving them $ back? i will compensate them with extra goodies, but i hate to give back $, particularly after ebay/paypal have taken 12%.

you're also looking at this as a $30 overcharge, or 100% over. Would it be so egregious to charge $3 for shipping though when the cost is $1.50?

with that said, 2X as much and $30 extra seems like a lot, though it really is something that should have been discussed before hand.

When you buy a new car, your subject to a "destination charge" to transport the car from the port/factory to your dealer. These shipping charge ranges anywhere from $600 - $900. Knowing that you must pay this charge to get the car you want, you AGREE to pay it. Whether you live in the middle of Alaska or in Detroit next to the factory, you must pay it to get the car you want, regardless of what it cost the manufacturer to ship

Is there padding built into that destination fee? Are they making money off of it? You bet, but again, you're the one buying it, you're the one agreeing to pay this charge ahead of time. That's the beauty of capitalism, YOU DON'T HAVE TO BUY IT! The same goes for any tangible good/service.

I periodically sell on ebay, and while $60 is excessive for shipping and is something I would have a hard time charging a buyer, it was agreed to by both buyer and seller beforehand and therefore is a contract. If the buyer has remorse after realizing that the seller profited on shipping, well that's his problem. Don't screw the guy on feedback because you have some sort of feeling of entitlement. You bought something for a total price, and likely thought you got a good deal. Why should that change after realizing what the sellers cost was on shipping?

The only possible exception to this is if the dealer was purposely not clear on shipping or combining shipping, but then again, you likely had 7 days to figure it out before bidding and the auction ended.

NO NO NO. If your going to talk like a lawyer about contracts - then recognize this: The seller AGREED to ALL of ebay's rules - including the feedback system - when they listed their item(s). It is the buyers absolute right - in their estimation only - to leave feedback that is based on their opinion of the transaction.

Why does anyone think different? If you honestly believe that sellers can charge whatever they want - or whatever they can get a buyer to pay - for shipping, then does it not follow that buyers can leave whatever they want in the way of feedback on the shipping charges?

I think my personal favorite is " my kid bid on this so please send the cancellation notice".

I would have forwarded him some job openings in his area so his kid could pay for what he bought! lol

here is the reply from the seller ...

"

Hi! I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with the shipping cost for your order. :(

I can assure you we do have a good reason for charging the amount we do. The total S&H cost covers much more than just the cost of postage. It also covers packaging costs, shipping supplies, as well as all of the shipping overhead costs associated with each item. Overhead costs include all things that cannot easily be allocated to a specific item, things such as labor costs associated with the shipping of the order, etc. All of these costs are incurred regardless of whether items are shipped together, and are the majority of the total S&H cost when dealing with Magic cards.

Other sellers take a loss on S&H charges, but make them up by charging higher prices for their items (or they simply do not fully understand the total cost of S&H, and just take a loss on it). I cannot explain why other sellers do not adequately charge for S&H, but that is their choice. Some sellers offer free S&H on their items, even though it is not free to ship them. They feel that they make more money by being able to sell their items for a higher price, and just pay for the S&H costs themselves. That is their choice, but we prefer to accurately calculate the total cost of S&H and charge accordingly.

Please let me know if you have any questions, I want to make sure that you are happy with the order and fully understand the reasons for the S&H costs.

Thanks! :D

So I honestly don't know what to think I gave him positive feed back on all stars aside for shipping & to be perfectly honest the seller has lost a long term customer. & yes I knew or at least had an idea what of what it was going to be because the seller does list the shipping & does combine the shipping how ever I DO indeed feel ripped off by teh seller after seeing how much he paid for the shipping on the package ... This guy was my number one source source but I've never brought in such large quantity before & only did because I figured I could trust the seller ... & if any of you here want to sell me something & rip me off that badly in the shipping please feel free to stick me on your ignore lists thanks :golfclap: