• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing a Square-Bound book...

10 posts in this topic

If the spine on a square bound book has been improperly pressed the book, the spine can be improved but not brought back to its original state.

A square bound book can be pressed, and they come out nice if done properly. I have done hundreds over the last few years and get great results.

A crushed spine cannot be fixed. The question is how severe the crushing is, and how it affects grade. 9.8 squarebounds sometimes exhibit a bit of crushed spines.

Classicsincorporated.com for more info.

Matt Nelson

Thanks for the replies thus far.

Would pressing be able to fix a spine that looks like this? (Lower left corner. It turns inward slightly from left to right.) I'm guessing yes.

35d9bbq.jpg

A different book with a crushed spine:

xgfj4m.jpg

29apfex.jpg

Got some squarebound books I'd like to press. That said, they also have stylized concave embossed "lines" about a half to a quarter inch from the spine that run the verticaly length of the front cover. It's not a defect, but was purposefully done that way I guess for artistic purposes.

What happens during pressing to those embossing lines? My belief is that they'd be pressed out as if they were a defect, but I'm curious what other folks experience is regarding this point.

Would pressing be able to fix a spine that looks like this? (Lower left corner. It turns inward slightly from left to right.) I'm guessing yes.

35d9bbq.jpg

xgfj4m.jpg

29apfex.jpg

How is the edge alignment on the back cover? That will determine if it is a slight roll or production related.

35d9bbq.jpg

xgfj4m.jpg

29apfex.jpg

How is the edge alignment on the back cover? That will determine if it is a slight roll or production related.

:gossip: That post was from two years ago.