• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How the hell does Jason Ewert do it?!?!

22 posts in this topic

Clean, press, repeat confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe. Doubt it in this case. That book is just plain overgraded. Obvious pen or pencil mark under Batman's elbow, a stain/smudge of some kind over the L in the Finish Line banner, various other bits of discoloration in the yellow area, particularly around Flash's legs. If someone cleaned this book, they did a terrible job. Or Ewert needs to clean his scanner bed. Bottom left corner is also a little soft. No way in hell that's a 9.8.

Clean, press, repeat confused-smiley-013.gif

Maybe. Doubt it in this case. That book is just plain overgraded. Obvious pen or pencil mark under Batman's elbow, a stain/smudge of some kind over the L in the Finish Line banner, various other bits of discoloration in the yellow area, particularly around Flash's legs. If someone cleaned this book, they did a terrible job. Or Ewert needs to clean his scanner bed. Bottom left corner is also a little soft. No way in hell that's a 9.8.

as long as that label says 9.8 there will be $1500-2500 waiting...... thumbsup2.gif

Of course, waiting for several minutes (even with DSL) for his idiotic logo to load is a PITA.

I've given up on most of his auctions simply because I don't have patience to wait for the images to load.

Larry

Obvious pen or pencil mark under Batman's elbow,

Can you say...pube.... gossip.gif

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

That reminds me of a 'Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode where Larry is hacking the entire show from a pube on his tongue.

That's gonna sound awful to anyone who hasn't seen the show.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

That reminds me of a 'Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode where Larry is hacking the entire show from a pube on his tongue.

hi.gif

27_laughing.gif

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

hi.gif

27_laughing.gif

Going through the 2nd season now on DVD. One of the few shows that can actually make me laugh out loud. thumbsup2.gif

For us newbies, whats a double cover? confused-smiley-013.gif I can guess what it means, but why in the world have 2 covers?

It is a printing defect. Once in a while, the printer will attach two covers onto a book by accident. Most collectors do not find this to be a bad thing as the top cover provides a significant amount of protection for the bottom cover. Some collectors (like myself) specifically look for books like this. Sadly, this book is already way out of my price range. It is a gorgeous book and I wish I had a shot at winning this thing.

Clean, press, repeat

It is hard to tell whether those marks come from the scanner or the book. His other auctions do not seem to share the same marks, so it could very well be from the book (or maybe the encapsulator rubbed his/her eye while working on this book). The white cover certainly makes these defects stand out, but that bottom cover must be beautiful. cloud9.gif

How can you tell that it's not a 9.8 when you can't see the inside cover? You know, the cover that was graded a 9.8 makepoint.gif

lol, I can't even tell when a regular book is a 9.8! Everything beyond a 9.6 looks the same to me. Still, in my experience, double covers are absolutely fantastic for white covers and especially black covers. It isn't so much that the book has been graded a 9.8, but the fact that this beautiful key book, with a white cover, has been preserved in such pristine condition.

It is a printing defect. Once in a while, the printer will attach two covers onto a book by accident. Most collectors do not find this to be a bad thing as the top cover provides a significant amount of protection for the bottom cover. Some collectors (like myself) specifically look for books like this. Sadly, this book is already way out of my price range. It is a gorgeous book and I wish I had a shot at winning this thing.

Learn something new everything. Thanks! thumbsup2.gif

Learn something new everything. Thanks!

No problem. wink.gif There also exist triple cover books, quadruple cover books, and even quintuple cover books. I have not seen, nor heard of more than 5 covers on a book though. If anyone has, I would love to know!