• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Had a Medai Mail shipment opened for inspection.

88 posts in this topic

I sent an e-amil to the USPS asking if comics are eligible for media mail. The respons I got says they are. Here is the full email:

eCustomerCare National ECCADUSER@usps.gov

7:24 AM (2 hours ago)

to me

Dear Erich,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us in regards to media mail. I understand that you are inquiring about comic books via media mail.

Yes you are able to mail comic books via media mail, here are the requirements Media Mail - Economy shipping solution for media items. Contents are restricted to books, sound recordings, recorded video tapes, printed music, recorded computer-readable media (such as CDs and DVDs).

Contents cannot contain advertising, except eligible books may contain incidental announcements of books

Contents can be inspected by the Postal Service to insure pricing eligibility

Surcharge may apply to certain items; including printed matter over 25 pounds

Media mail items should be marked "Media Mail" in the postage area.

Thank you for choosing the United States Postal Service for your mailing and shipping needs.We appreciate your business. Have a great day!

Best Regards,

Cynthia

If we can be of assistance to you in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us.The email address that this was sent from is not a manned email, so please use the following link:

https://www.usps.com/customerservice/redirects/email.htm?from=CustomerService&page=Center_EmailUs'>https://www.usps.com/customerservice/redirects/email.htm?from=CustomerService&page=Center_EmailUs

Your privacy is important to us. If you would like additional information on our privacy policy, please visit us online at:

https://www.usps.com/

So it looks like you can send comics. If anyone wants a copy of the e-mail, PM me your e-mail address and I will send it to you.

That is a bad conclusion.

It clearly says you can send comics as long as they do not have advertising, via media mail.

Thus, you can send omnibuses and other comics that do not contain advertising, but you can not send any comics which do contain advertising, Regardless of whether or not that advertising is 50 years old.

I think there have been thousands of message threads about this over the years...

and in the end all that matters is what the guy in the back room at the post office decides to do...

[end_of_thread] (thumbs u [/end_of_thread]

The boards have opinions on MM way stronger than the post offices. Personal examples have very little weight, but it all we can ever have. I have shipped roughly 3500 seperate packages media mail, and not once had a single upcharged. A number have been opened, and passed thru as acceptable. Every single one has had comics, or trades.

When I go to the 3 post offices in my area, they all know I ship comics, and we often have friendly chats about it. I know Rupp ships media mail for his Clooneythons, and never once has any of his hundreds of lots sent out been upcharged, though I am sure a great many have been opened, and passed thru as acceptable.

I am sure it is possible at some point, a media mail box I send may be upcharged to priority as being not qualified for media mail. I will view it as my lucky day, and quickly play the lotto that day as it will be a 1 in a great many thousands chance beating the odds event.

The only time I have had media mail inspected was last year on a package a boardie sent me. That one probably got singled out because his printer was running out of ink when the label was printed. I am sure the bar scan readers were unable to read the bar, so everywhere along the way it was probably manually sorted, which probably ticked someone off.

Although I don't send out books media mail, I have received many other MM packages before and quite a few (cheap, low grade or drek) after, without incident. The key, most likely, is not to draw attention to your package. hm

With regional rate Priority mail, there is little reason to ship media mail.

It would be rather nice and actually a bit more efficient if the damn Post Office would just say soemthing like "comics, magazines and trade publications with cover dates older than five years from the shipment date are eligible" so we can avoid all this interpretive horsemalarkey.

As someone who never uses Media Mail and would never request it, it seems like it would solve everyone's problems if they just went to something like this instead of a needlessly ambiguous reg

Original post http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=4&Number=5797792&Searchpage=1&Main=262783&Words=&topic=0&Search=true#Post5797792

I sent a follow up question to the USPS asking how a comic can qualify since it has ads. It looks like they are just as confused for I got a response stating that you can't send comics via Media Mail.

eCustomerCare National ECCADUSER@usps.gov

1:07 AM (6 hours ago)

to me

Dear Erich,

Thank you for contacting us about our Media Mail Services. I understand you would like some clarification regarding comic books and Media Mail.

Erich, I know you got an answer from Cynthia, and I'm going to have to apologize for her providing inaccurate information. While the definition for what may qualify for Media Mail was correct, the simple fact is, a comic book would be considered a periodical, such as a magazine, and would not be eligible for Media Mail prices.

The following is a link from our Domestic Mail Manual. If you go to section 4.1, you will see what exactly would qualify for Media Mail. If an item DOES NOT fall into any of these options, then it WOULD NOT qualify for Media Mail:

http://pe.usps.gov/text/dmm300/173.htm#1113500

Please don't get Media mail confused with Library Mail. Library Mail would be items sent from an educational facility such as a school, library, or museum.

If you would like more detail, or if you have any other questions regarding our policies for mailing requirements, your best option would be to contact your local Mailing Requirements Office.

Erich, I hope this information is helpful. Again, I do apologize for the inaccurate information from your last e-mail. Thank you for choosing the United States Postal Service for your mailing and shipping needs. We appreciate your business.

Best Regards,

Robert

If we can be of assistance to you in the future, please don't hesitate to contact us. The email address that this was sent from is not a manned email, so please use the following link:

https://www.usps.com/customerservice/redirects/email.htm?from=CustomerService&page=Center_EmailUs'>https://www.usps.com/customerservice/redirects/email.htm?from=CustomerService&page=Center_EmailUs

Your privacy is important to us. If you would like additional information on our privacy policy, please visit us online at:

https://www.usps.com/

You submitted a leading question. If you phrased question along the lines of "Wouldnt vintage comics qualify as media mail, as they are books, & ads are obviously outdated, not that I need to point out something so basic to such a clever individual as you."

You would then get a different answer, as your question lead them there.

Sending a slab is different. Would never send a slab media mail, unless you were trying to crack a slab.

MM is treated different, and rightly so, than priority. Right from the first contact in my area, the window clerk sorts priority mail into suspended bags off the ground. Media mail boxes are no look pass flings 5 feet away into oversize roller bins good for transporting a pair of baby elephants. Right off the bat you can see separation, and not in a separate but equal way.

I've been wondering why the USPS created Media Mail in the first place and why it cares about advertising. Here's some insight into it:

http://pe.usps.com/text/csr/PS-334.htm

Sounds like they first introduced the service to promote education. Their assumption appears to be that if it has ads, then it's entertainment and not designed specifically to be educational. (shrug) Clearly the idea that media containing ads isn't educational is debatable, but if this was indeed the thinking behind the government offering Media Mail, then the fact that the ads in magazines in comics tend to expire over time doesn't make them suddenly more educational.

If anyone can find more specific info about the reasons for excluding media containing ads from the Media Mail service or why they think ads dilute the educational value of a work, I'd love to see it.

I have sent and received packages by Media Mail.

I would NOT buy from a seller if they chose NOT to offer Media Mail on a low cost package of comics.

Whenever I can I use First Class instead of Media Mail (when it is up to three comics)

I always insure any higher cost package of comics sent Media Mail or request insurance from the seller. Even though Media Mail can be treated roughly, if it is insured and they see that insurance sticker, the chance it that it will be treated better.

I strongly prefer to use Media Mail shipping when buying large lots of comics through the mail.

I have had whole long boxes full of comics sent Media Mail SHIPPED IN THE LONGBOX in the past (also short boxes)

I prefer spending $4 to have some comics ship versus $11.

I have had slabs shipped Media Mail and they arrive with no damage. (although I usually prefer to have them shipped priority especially if they are over $25-$50 in value)

Another tip I have heard of over the years is to print your own shipping labels after buying postage online. Often these packages that the customer has done the work for the USPS on are green-lighted through so fast that they never get inspected or questioned.

I find it extremely hilarious all the high and mighty positions that the "Breaking the Post Office Rules" sticklers take on these boards. :roflmao:

Also I find it ridiculous that a seller thinks they can decide that using a more expensive shipping option is "better for me" or "their only option because they decided so." Those "businessmen" deserve a lesson learned in customer service delivered by me taking my hard earned cash to a seller who is willing to ship the way a customer wants.

RULES OF THUMB USING MEDIA MAIL.

If you are super worried about it being possibly lost or potentially arriving damaged, use Priority.

Always use insurance on a package that cost more than you are willing to lose. ($20 or so for me)

Buy and print your own postage labels online for better chances of success at not being hassled when shipping.

As a Seller: Arrange with the buyer that wants Media Mail shipping a 50/50 split on any potential upcharges. The chances are extremely low that they will occur and if they do, then responsibility is shouldered by both buyer and seller.

I LOVE Media Mail :cloud9:

I think it is funny how many folks just can't understand the Bureaucracy of the USPS and they way that there are the rules but different interpretations and selective enforcement of them.

As a man who has served some time in the Military, I certainly think they way the USPS is run is highly analogous to how things happen in the Military.

You learn the rules, then you learn how the rules are interpreted in your specific division and adapt accordingly. Sometimes you even have to adapt to specific individuals interpretations of the rules. Sometimes you have to even have to deal with Specific individuals spouting interpretive horsemalarkey because they feel like it and CAN.

It makes me lol when civilians are dumbfounded when they come in contact with the way an extremely Bureaucratic organization functions. They just haven't had the experience with that type of "organized" chaotic structure.

As a Seller: Arrange with the buyer that wants Media Mail shipping a 50/50 split on any potential upcharges. The chances are extremely low that they will occur and if they do, then responsibility is shouldered by both buyer and seller.

------------

If the buyer wants media mail to save money, why should the seller pay 50% of the upcharge in unusual event that it is inspected and upcharged?

Mind you, I ship comics, sometimes, media. Depends on the situation. With 1-4, if possible, I ship first class (sometimes the 4th comic puts you over the limit). I've been sending some 100-250 comic lots out lately and I've been doing parcel post on some of the bigger ones, usually works out to less than priority by a bit.

I get how ambigious items might be up to interpretation of individual postal worker as to whether it's media mail or not, but comics are a straightforward and common thing. All the USPS has to do is say comic books are either media mail or not. Spell it out clearly in a document and make all employees aware. If its written down officially, if you ever do have a controversy, the customer or employee merely can look at the document and read whether comics are media mail or not. This whole interpretation thing is stupid and I'd like a clear and definitive answer spelled out by USPS.

I have sent and received packages by Media Mail.

I would NOT buy from a seller if they chose NOT to offer Media Mail on a low cost package of comics.

Whenever I can I use First Class instead of Media Mail (when it is up to three comics)

I always insure any higher cost package of comics sent Media Mail or request insurance from the seller. Even though Media Mail can be treated roughly, if it is insured and they see that insurance sticker, the chance it that it will be treated better.

I strongly prefer to use Media Mail shipping when buying large lots of comics through the mail.

I have had whole long boxes full of comics sent Media Mail SHIPPED IN THE LONGBOX in the past (also short boxes)

I prefer spending $4 to have some comics ship versus $11.

I have had slabs shipped Media Mail and they arrive with no damage. (although I usually prefer to have them shipped priority especially if they are over $25-$50 in value)

Another tip I have heard of over the years is to print your own shipping labels after buying postage online. Often these packages that the customer has done the work for the USPS on are green-lighted through so fast that they never get inspected or questioned.

I find it extremely hilarious all the high and mighty positions that the "Breaking the Post Office Rules" sticklers take on these boards. :roflmao:

Also I find it ridiculous that a seller thinks they can decide that using a more expensive shipping option is "better for me" or "their only option because they decided so." Those "businessmen" deserve a lesson learned in customer service delivered by me taking my hard earned cash to a seller who is willing to ship the way a customer wants.

RULES OF THUMB USING MEDIA MAIL.

If you are super worried about it being possibly lost or potentially arriving damaged, use Priority.

Always use insurance on a package that cost more than you are willing to lose. ($20 or so for me)

Buy and print your own postage labels online for better chances of success at not being hassled when shipping.

I LOVE Media Mail :cloud9:

Priority mail gets lost and damaged too. IMO, Priority mail boxes get damaged more often then any brown boxes sent via MM. That is purely my observation from packages I have received.

Printing your own labels doesn't = hassle free shipping for MM. The clerk can and may still question the contents as they should.

Why would the seller shoulder any additional fees if the package is set aside for additional postage due?

Comics for MM is acceptable in my County. However, as shown in numerous threads about MM crack down, there are states that don't accept comics via MM. I now state in my sales threads that I will ship via MM but at the buyer's risk for inspection, etc. If I sell comic on ebay, they go priority mail. I find that Parcel post is only a few cents cheaper so it doesn't make sense to use it most of the time for me.

The problem I think some people have with the interpretive aspect of MM shipments is that while the sender's PO might be okay with the shipment, it's not a guarantee that the recipient's will.

I would think having extra insurance on a MM package would make it more likely for a PO employee to wonder what might be in said package and then review, although I admit complete ignorance to the internal operations of the Post Office

------------

If the buyer wants media mail to save money, why should the seller pay 50% of the upcharge in unusual event that it is inspected and upcharged?

Mind you, I ship comics, sometimes, media. Depends on the situation. With 1-4, if possible, I ship first class (sometimes the 4th comic puts you over the limit). I've been sending some 100-250 comic lots out lately and I've been doing parcel post on some of the bigger ones, usually works out to less than priority by a bit.

This is a more for the CGC boards type thing. Most folks here know the values and perils of Media Mail. A compromising agreement might make some of the anti-media mail sellers more receptive to medial mail

Ebay used to offer media mail. I dont think they do now, just a flat rate type thing called Standard shipping.

I prefer cheapest shipping on low cost items. Media mail is the way to go on that, even if it has its ups and downs.

Printing your own labels doesn't = hassle free shipping for MM. The clerk can and may still question the contents as they should.

I have heard it reported in from many users of Media Mail that printing your own shipping labels is thge way to go. Of course ANY Postal Employee can question the content of a package. They do, in fact, every time when they ask you if you send flammable materials, explosives, contraband, ect on every package.

When you print your own labels you are saving the Postal Worker a step in their process and causing them to have to do less work. They are more likely to let is pass then.

Also you can have printed label parcels picked up at your residence. The Postal Carrier is certainly not going to question what is in your package.

Why would the seller shoulder any additional fees if the package is set aside for additional postage due?

This is just a compromise to ensure delivery of the package. I am unsure if the package that is flagged is returned to sender or delivered at the address with a postage owed bill. Perhaps they hang a sticker on your door and make you come down to the Post Office to get it.

In any case, it doesnt happen often.

One thing that DOES happen sometimes is that when Media Mail packaged get flagged and either the delivery addressee does not pay the overage, they possibly get thrown into a Land of Misfit packages area and the seller could never see the books returned.

When shipping Media Mail I always get Insurance and at the very least Delivery Confirmation.