• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What Spidey book to get signed by Stan Lee in Chicago? Winnah thanks to everyone

34 posts in this topic

So like the title says what Spidey (modern or copper age) should I get signed by Stan Lee? First of all the book is not going to be for me...it's going to be a gift for my best friend who won't be going to the Chicago con with me since he is trying to pay for his upcoming wedding. So as my gift to him/wedding gift I'm getting a Spidey (his all time fav) signed, but I don't want to ask him what his favorite is...and give away the suprise.

I'm sure he will love anything with Stan's John Hancock on it, but what do you all think? The always popular Spiderman 1 Green 1990 would be good, but so many out there. Or Amazing Spiderman #1 Sunburst (#442) would be cool. I'm not looking on a fortune since it will cost a ton for the CGC SS and a nice Raw book + Stan's Auto. I would like something unique-ish lol...Any thoughts?

I'm not that huge into Spidey but I know most of the keys...

Now I'm changing this to what X-men/Wolverine book to get signed by Stan...Is there anything Modernish out there that Stan had something to do with? I thought about a nice copy of Origin 1 or even my Wolverine limited 1. Not really sure or should I just stick with Spiderman? Not a huge Avengers, FF4, or Hulk fan so yeah kinda stuck.

300 is popular and beautiful, but i'd actually go with 301, cool pose but the red and blue classic costume that Stan Lee created. I don't know that he specifically cares about the black costume, but its more 'Stan' to me to go red/blue. And it will be more cost effective as well.

Consider that it may also be cheaper to pick up a Silver Spider-man SS which may have more value since it is a book that Stan actually worked on...

There is a #99 in 8.5 with Stan for $225 or Best Offer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-99-SS-STAN-LEE-VEGAS-TRIBUTE-CGC-8-5-/400290450832?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item5d332b8d90#ht_3145wt_1110

There is also a #17 in a 3.0 that looks pretty sharp that was signed by Stan. The seller is asking $240

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-man-17-CGC-SS-3-0-Gold-label-Stan-Lee-N-R-/290733788172?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item43b1158c0c#ht_643wt_1344

I like the following covers though...

Issues 200, 301, 306 (The Action Comics 1 homage)

200-1.jpg

301-1.jpg

306-2.jpg

I like the ASM 301, I don't think I thought about that. I was thinking ASM & Peter Parker #1 the Dynamic Forces issues would be cool as well...I would love the SA stuff but this isn't for me. His collection that I know of which is at least 7-8 long boxes is ASM 252-semi current 2011. All the Peter Parker/Spiderman titles, Ultimate Spiderman 1-160. Really any other Spidey that came out inbetween, seriously it's a sick collection of Spiderman. So these are my main focuses. Thanks for the suggestions keep them coming :)

The nice thing about the #200 is that Stan actually did work on the book (1 page of dialogue). It isn't much, but at least he did work on that book. You could also go with books that have reprints of the origin (like #275) if you wanted a book that he worked on. He also did something in #365.

Here are some modern-y books that make good Stan Lee sigs

Ultimate Spider-Man #160 Joe Q variant

YyOMp.jpg

Great image, and harkens back to the start of it all

ASM #392

hUhQp.jpg

Nice homage to the old ASM #50, but modern (per your criteria)

ASM #600

dfjGW.jpg

No Lee work in the book, but a great cover by Romita Sr, with all the main people in Peter's life.

ASM 638 Image Expo Var

9riJK.jpg

Stans on the cover!

Finally, since he's saving up for his wedding doesnt this make sense?

NH1cG.jpg

Here are some modern-y books that make good Stan Lee sigs

ASM #600

dfjGW.jpg

No Lee work in the book, but a great cover by Romita Sr, with all the main people in Peter's life.

Finally, since he's saving up for his wedding doesnt this make sense?

NH1cG.jpg

It says on the liner notes for 600 that it includes Stan Lee as a writer of the story. Also I don't know what that is with a wedding... I hear that never happened... It was magic. :whistle:

I think there's a Amazing Fantasy #15 reprint coming out this week...

^^

This really would tick all the boxes and would be cheap to buy and sub. It should also be relatively easy to find one that will grade out in the 9.6 to 9.8 range. I would be delighted with this as a gift.

Oh, nice thought btw. :applause: