• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have comic prices been mostly frozen since the economic crisis began?

55 posts in this topic

I understand. However, my point was focused on the decrease in prices as is being discussed.

In answer to your response: how are they paying more for a book. A pressed book is graded based on what flaws CGC sees. Therefore the book is the grade it is when the purchaser buys the book. Anything about the book before pressing is moot.

This is slab collector logic. Ultimately, you're paying more for the same object.

And the prices that the slab collectors pay ultimately affects the prices that the raw collectors pays. The two do not live independently of each other.

As high grade prices have fallen due to higher supply then that exerts a downward pressure on the raw copies that people purchase.

And the prices that the slab collectors pay ultimately affects the prices that the raw collectors pays. The two do not live independently of each other.

As high grade prices have fallen due to higher supply then that exerts a downward pressure on the raw copies that people purchase.

The "trickle down" theory doesn't seem to apply here. As myself and Roy were saying earlier in this thread, prices for 9.6 books have dropped farther in most cases than 9.0s or 9.2s which don't seem to have dropped at all. If slabbed 9.6s don't directly affect slabbed 9.0s and 9.2s, I doubt there will be any real effect on raw 8.0s.

I've actually observed the opposite. Prices on slabbed 9.6/9.8 ASM 121s and 122s have plummeted, but slabbed 8.0s to 9.2s are as strong or even stronger than they've ever been. And I sold a raw 7.0 ASM 121 on Ebay a while ago for same price that I bought a slabbed 8.5 for years ago. That may be anecdotal, but I've seen multiples sales of similar copies at those prices.

So pressing 9.2s to 9.6s don't seem to be making 9.2s cheaper. And I suspect part of the strong prices for 8.0s to 9.2s can be attributed to people looking for pressing candidates.

I understand. However, my point was focused on the decrease in prices as is being discussed.

In answer to your response: how are they paying more for a book. A pressed book is graded based on what flaws CGC sees. Therefore the book is the grade it is when the purchaser buys the book. Anything about the book before pressing is moot.

This is slab collector logic. Ultimately, you're paying more for the same object.

(tsk)

Come, now. It's not the same object. The number on the slab is different.

As a collector of SA/BA books without deep pockets i'm not surprised if ultra high grade 9.6/9.8 prices are falling. I go for the 8.5-9.2 copies with minor defects. It's simple math for me. One almost perfect 9.6 ASM or three 9.2 ASM's with minor defects? Easy choice.

I'll have to disagree on that one. The object is most certainly not the same.

If the two books were placed side by side I'm betting that the majority of people would choose the one with less defects as more appealing, even if they are non colour breaking. It's just the OCD in us collectors that makes us decision make in that manner.

there is a lot of collecting/buying and, yes, speculating going on in the modern field. putting aside the WDs, TOTs, Chews, etc., i'm surprised sometimes how many moderns sell for $2-$4 on ebay PLUS shipping. yes, the price might be under cover, but with shipping (even if sometimes spread out over multiple purchases) it shows there are plenty of folks who don't view everything as a 25 cent box book.

i dunno much about slabs, but it seems to me like the rest of the market really isn't down since 2008, with many things up since then. not that 2008 were boom-times anyway.

comics can sometimes be countercyclical, just look at the early 90s (good times for comics, bad economy) and then 1998-2000 (good economy, comics did badly). true though, the high end slab market isn't $20 valiants, and when we're looking at high three figure, four and five figure books I do think the reality of the economy impacts how much free cash folks have, whereas just the opposite might be taking place as folks are flipping or collecting $15 books..they don't have much money so they're sticking it into less expensive stuff.

The average american has seen a 38% decline of their overall assets if they were in the stock market. So yeah, flat would be good.

For the content I collect, prices are down at least 20% or more.

the typical American family’s net worth fell 39% between 2007 and 2010.

Time

(tsk)

Come, now. It's not the same object. The number on the slab is different.

Slabs have books inside, which I presume is what people are actually buying. If I bought a book off the stands, held onto it for 30 years, sent it in to CGC and sold it to a buyer who subsequently presses it and resubs it for a higher grade, it's still the same book, with the same history.

If the two books were placed side by side I'm betting that the majority of people would choose the one with less defects as more appealing, even if they are non colour breaking. It's just the OCD in us collectors that makes us decision make in that manner.

A pressed book is the same book it was before. If a woman gets breast implants, she's still the same girl she was pre-op.

A pressed book is the same book it was before. If a woman gets breast implants, she's still the same girl she was pre-op.

Woman don't get breast implants to have the same colour eyes before and after.

Another thing not mentioned is foreign currency. I don't know if sellers are getting less sales to Canada/Europe/Aus than before but it used to be £1 = $2 before the recession. Now it's £1 = 64c

Certainly hurt how far my money can go.

Another thing not mentioned is foreign currency. I don't know if sellers are getting less sales to Canada/Europe/Aus than before but it used to be £1 = $2 before the recession. Now it's £1 = 64c

Certainly hurt how far my money can go.

Also another reason I won't be visiting Canada anymore. Use to be my favourite holiday destination. Last went 2 years ago and that cost me a fortune for 4 weeks.

Oh I long for 1998, first time in Vancouver and the exchange rate was $2.25 to the £1 :(

While I have no real hard data to back up my argument, I have definitely noticed that my primary collecting focus ( ga batman, joker covers and Pre-robin detectives) continue to go up. I think he is an entrenched enough character that the movies at this point aren't even the driving force behind the price increases.