• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have comic prices been mostly frozen since the economic crisis began?

55 posts in this topic

Since you collect runs, your collection mostly consists of high grade, non-key mid and late SA books, and those have definitely taken a hit.

The prices on ultra high grade 9.6/9.8 non-key ASMs from 51-100 have mostly halved in price, at least from when I was collecting. Oddly, 9.0s and 9.2s seem to still fetch similar prices, but you can get 9.6s now of most issues in that range for much cheaper, which has narrowed the spread between 9.0 and 9.6 considerably. This might be a function of increased supply, combined with people having less money to spend.

Since my old collection consisted of a near complete run of ASM slabs from 39-129 in 9.2-9.6, they would be worth significantly less than what I paid today, had I held onto them.

Oddly, 9.0s and 9.2s seem to still fetch similar prices, but you can get 9.6s now of most issues in that range for much cheaper, which has narrowed the spread between 9.0 and 9.6 considerably.

That in and of itself is a very interesting statistic and one that is often overlooked in these types of discussions.

I've noticed a similar trend as well and it shows a strong "ground support" for books that are not in nosebleed grades. Prices for run books in the 8.0-9.2 range seem to be fairly strong because they offer strong eye appeal for the price and even trending upwards for some books, offering a support of sorts for books in higher grades - or better stated, providing a solid bottom for books in higher grades.

Oddly, 9.0s and 9.2s seem to still fetch similar prices, but you can get 9.6s now of most issues in that range for much cheaper, which has narrowed the spread between 9.0 and 9.6 considerably.

That in and of itself is a very interesting statistic and one that is often overlooked in these types of discussions.

I've noticed a similar trend as well and it shows a strong "ground support" for books that are not in nosebleed grades. Prices for run books in the 8.0-9.2 range seem to be fairly strong because they offer strong eye appeal for the price and even trending upwards for some books, offering a support of sorts for books in higher grades - or better stated, providing a solid bottom for books in higher grades.

I think there are a couple of things going on. It seems like people are holding onto their 9.0s and 9.2s more; they're cheap enough that they don't tie up too much cash, and like you said they offer great eye appeal and fill gaps for the high grade collector. Also, with more books available across the spectrum, people may be more inclined to diversify their collections, and in particular, focus on keys; unless you have tons of money to spend, collecting 9.6s isn't conducive to that.

This is the price spread correction we've been talking about for years. And to think, I still remember the hoopla at the summer 2001 Toronto con when, during the con, an ASM 62 CGC 9.6 that one dealer had on display sold on Ebay for just under $1100.

There have been many changes over the years and how people have adapted to the various changes in the hobby seem to get forgotten...

I remember selling some books to various experience collectors in the early to mid 2000's (circa 2004/2005 to guys like Brulato and Schmell) and I seem to remember that they were actually using the guide to value books in the CGC 9.6 and 9.8 grades.

Specifically, I remember talking to Doug Schmell and IIRC he was using the figure of 20 times guide for a 9.8. Can't remember the exact book it was.

It was still early on and GPA had not caught on the way it's used today.

There have been many changes over the years and how people have adapted to the various changes in the hobby seem to get forgotten...

I remember selling some books to various experience collectors in the early to mid 2000's (circa 2004/2005 to guys like Brulato and Schmell) and I seem to remember that they were actually using the guide to value books in the CGC 9.6 and 9.8 grades.

Specifically, I remember talking to Doug Schmell and IIRC he was using the figure of 20 times guide for a 9.8. Can't remember the exact book it was.

It was still early on and GPA had not caught on the way it's used today.

This was around the time Overstreet changed from 9.4 to 9.2; IIRC, it had something to do with the multipliers people were assigning to various grades, as 9.0s and 9.2s would generally sell for guide, and the multipliers would begin at 9.4.

I've only recently shook off thinking of multipliers when trying to determine the "worth" of a book.

Since you collect runs, your collection mostly consists of high grade, non-key mid and late SA books, and those have definitely taken a hit.

The prices on ultra high grade 9.6/9.8 non-key ASMs from 51-100 have mostly halved in price, at least from when I was collecting. Oddly, 9.0s and 9.2s seem to still fetch similar prices, but you can get 9.6s now of most issues in that range for much cheaper, which has narrowed the spread between 9.0 and 9.6 considerably. This might be a function of increased supply, combined with people having less money to spend.

Since my old collection consisted of a near complete run of ASM slabs from 39-129 in 9.2-9.6, they would be worth significantly less than what I paid today, had I held onto them.

The non-key ASMs from 51-100 in 9.6/9.8 have decreased almost entirely due to increased supply. What has been surprising me is that when I've compared the prices of my key books from those three runs, those, too, are the same as they were in 2008.

The average american has seen a 38% decline of their overall assets if they were in the stock market. So yeah, flat would be good.

For the content I collect, prices are down at least 20% or more.

When you say Americans have seen a 38% decline in their stocks, you're including the financial meltdown of 2008 in that number, right?

What do you collect that has gone down 20%?

everything. right around the time CGC upped the registry points for my karp DC by about 20%, i lowered my spreadsheet valuation by 25%

I can only speak for DC...I've seen a decrease on just about all HG non-key DCs. From GA, to SA to especially BA everything is trending down and keys are flat. With increased supply from new collections, pressed resubs, and inconsistent or liberal CGC grades, it seems like a new top census is always around the corner. I think collectors are realizing this and prices at auction are way lower than just a few years ago.

I know I have adjusted my bidding accordingly. Even for a current "single highest graded", I've been burned too many times paying a mint for "highest graded 9.2" and watch as a 9.0 gets pressed and resubmitted to a new top census 9.4.

It's alarming how much a price is affected when just one big fish bows out of the auction...

So shouldn't pressing be lauded for causing books to decline in value thus allowing more collectors to be able to afford books that would have otherwise been out of their price grasp.

I know that I am glad that prices are falling for non key books that I would like to purchase.

I can only speak for DC...I've seen a decrease on just about all HG non-key DCs. From GA, to SA to especially BA everything is trending down and keys are flat. With increased supply from new collections, pressed resubs, and inconsistent or liberal CGC grades, it seems like a new top census is always around the corner. I think collectors are realizing this and prices at auction are way lower than just a few years ago.

I know I have adjusted my bidding accordingly. Even for a current "single highest graded", I've been burned too many times paying a mint for "highest graded 9.2" and watch as a 9.0 gets pressed and resubmitted to a new top census 9.4.

It's alarming how much a price is affected when just one big fish bows out of the auction...

I think this trend is generally true towards GA DC but not all-inclusive. I still face fierce competition whenever going for any given issue of All-Star Comics (GA), key or no.

So shouldn't pressing be lauded for causing books to decline in value thus allowing more collectors to be able to afford books that would have otherwise been out of their price grasp.

I know that I am glad that prices are falling for non key books that I would like to purchase.

no

Good for you, sucks for everybody who bought before you hatched this plan. :baiting:

Sure, except for the fact that you're making someone pay a 9.6 price for the same book you bought as a 9.0.

Good for you, sucks for everybody who bought before you hatched this plan. :baiting:

lol I promise you I wasn't the one who hatched this plan. This wheel has been in motion for a lot longer than I have been collecting.

no

:shrug: I figured that with the way people would complain about how much books cost in high grade it would be a good thing for the collector who is benefitting from a deeper supply of UHG and the downward pressure that has had on values for lower,but albeit high grade, books.

Not to be too obtuse but I'm not making anyone do anything. They are doing it out of their own volition.

Ok, you're making books more expensive for those who choose to buy them.

Just answering your question. You stated that pressing has made books cheaper, but that's only from one specific perspective. Pressing also makes books more expensive, hence the whole "maximizing potential" thing.

I understand. However, my point was focused on the decrease in prices as is being discussed.

In answer to your response: how are they paying more for a book. A pressed book is graded based on what flaws CGC sees. Therefore the book is the grade it is when the purchaser buys the book. Anything about the book before pressing is moot.