• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who is the most famous person you've ever sold a comic book to?

123 posts in this topic

Mark Hamill (SD mid 80s)

Bill Mumy (SD mid 80's)

Steranko (mail order many times over the years)

Stephen Tyler (Chicago Con 1993 I think)

Jeanette Kahn (at the first Chicago Con in 1976)

Gave each a small discount!

Cool list, but Steven Tyler? meh, I would've upcharged him.

Ronald Reagan Presidential Library

Alex Ross

Jan Strnad (who bought a set of Dalgoda because he had lost his)

Mike Allred (who sent me some free Madman stuff along with his check)

Neal Adams son - I didn't realize who it was until I got a check from Continuity. Someone had stolen his collection of comics. He said it was all the comics his dad had worked on. Anyway he bought a Green Lantern Annual (I think) from me signed by Arthur Adams on ebay for about a $1 or $2. This was on one of the real free listing days on ebay back long. long ago and I didn't have scans of everything. When I got the check I emailed him and asked if he meant to buy this as it was signed by Art Adams and not Neal Adams. He said yes he had made a mistake, and that's when I got the info about the stolen comics and how he was trying to buy back copies of the comics his dad had worked on. He wanted to know if I had any that had his dad's artwork. I said quite a few but I didn't want to sell them as they were my favorites and I had bought them new in the 70s when I was a teenager. he said he understood and that he had met a lot of people that said his dad was their favorite artist. I sent the check back along with a few duplicate comics I found I had with Neal Adams artwork for free and apologized that they were beat up but maybe he could use them until he got better copies.

These were all over 10 years ago when I used to sell a lot on ebay.

Early 90's Chicago Con:

I'm working the booth and a boy walks up with a man and a woman, and the boy starts browsing. He finds an Aliens vs Predator he wants and shows it to the adults. They look it over and say he can have it but his dad will buy it for him tomorrow.

The boy asks me if I'll save it until tomorrow, so I say no problem and stash it in a box behind the booth.

Next day up walks Stan Lee with another man I don't recognize, plus the boy from the day before, and a huge entourage of people. Stan and the other man are chatting like they're old friends so I figure perhaps he's a Marvel creator or staffer from the Silver AGe or 70's era.

The boy asks for the comic so I give it to him and he asks his dad (the unknown acquaintance of Stan Lee) to buy it. His dad asks me if I'll give him a discount in exchange for an autograph. I've still got no idea who this is (and this is not an expensive comic in any case), but I roll with it and say sure, that'd work.

So, I give him a discount and he pays, and squiggles a quick sig on a backboard and gives it to me. He and Stan and their entourage go on their way, leaving me none the wiser who this guy is.

I look down at the signature. Not too legible but I'm trying to figure it out. "Oh... um... so that was Chic Stone?"

A buddy of mine at the booth laughs and says, "You insufficiently_thoughtful_person, that was OLIVER Stone!" lol

Mick Jones of The Clash.

I love the Clash, out of curiosity what did he buy?

It was at a mart, some time in the mid 90s, at a place in Camden (North London), which is an area all too familiar for the Clash. He looked through a box of low grade 1950s DC sc-fi books like Mystery In Space, Strange Adventures, etc. There may have been some British reprints in there. He bought three Mystery In Spaces.

Not the reading material you might expect, but he mentioned that that was what he was collecting. As a Clash fan myself (I saw them several times in the late 70s / early 80s) it was cool to meet him. Seemed like a nice guy.

Great story! (thumbs u

Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath at a small show in the St. Louis area back in the mid-late 90's.

This is by far my favorite post in this thread so far, It was the one with Danzig in it until I came to this one! (worship) What did he pick up if you remember?

Stephen Tyler (Chicago Con 1993 I think)

I remember that very well -I believe they were in town for a concert and came by to promote their Shadowman appearance -- was coming up the escalator when some comotion broke out behind me -- ah heck !! -- Aerosmith was right behind me about 10 feet down the escalator -- i`ve still got a couple posters I got signed that day and some snapshots -- very cool experience --

Myself -- it was probably Gil Kane at a Dallas show back in about 94 or 95 -- I had picked up a Kane Marvel 70`s western cover a few weeks before the show and had it on display -- Kane who was a featured guest at the con was walking by and noticed it and we talked a while and he told about how most of his artwork was never returned and or stolen over the years -- he had a large portfolio with him and it ended with him getting back the art and me getting $100 and 3 recent magazine pieces he had done of neanderthals for an article - wish I still had the cover .. :cry:

I don't typically sell comics but back when I sold vintage toys Eric Roberts and Christian Slater were both repeat customers of mine.

This was twenty years ago mind you.

(shrug)

I still have their (old) contact info somewhere laying around on a floppy disk.