• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Australian Variants

20 posts in this topic

Good Afternoon everyone.

First post so please bear with me!

I picked up some 1960 - 1975ish comics as follows:

Daredevil #1

Amazing Spiderman #1

X-men #1

X-men and Avengers #1 (!)

Conan #1

Thor #1 (which had cover illustration from Journey into Mystery #84 on it)

Except the last one,all had the same covers and contents as American #1's except for a few different wordings.

ASM had "Marvel collectors 1st issue" across the bottom for example.

The comics all had the original character colourings ie DD is NOT red etc.

There is one on ebay

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170867295794?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

That is exactly what I have got. Is this pricing correct?

Two are printed by Newton (1975-76) under license from Marvel (has marvel written on cover) and the rest just have Marvel written on them without a printers label.

My camera is stuffed but I should be able to scan them next week - what value do they have - any opinion welcome.

they range from NM for Spidey to VF for Daredevil.

Help!

And thankyou very much for reading.

WTTBs!!! :hi:

I picked up some 1960 - 1975ish comics as follows:

Daredevil #1

Amazing Spiderman #1

X-men #1

X-men and Avengers #1 (!)

Conan #1

Thor #1 (which had cover illustration from Journey into Mystery #84 on it)

..Welll...let's see them... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/170867295794?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

That is exactly what I have got. Is this pricing correct?

Neat book, but I doubt it will sell for that much

The one you linked on eBay is from 1965 (pre decimal price) and is reasonably collectable, but I wouldn't think it would sell for anything like that price - especially with a figure clipped from one of the panels. Even a high grade copy would struggle to reach that price IMHO.

The 1970s Newton reprints are relatively common, and I still see them around from time to time. Like most Australian comics, there's a scarcity of pricing data to draw on.

Duffman_comics has a mate who might be able to help with prices on those - and probably has a better idea of the Daredevil price than I do.

Thanks Guys - i will borrow a mates camera and pop them on - heres spidey

127686.jpg.49b15ad211acf6b947bfe29058673c20.jpg

The one you linked on eBay is from 1965 (pre decimal price) and is reasonably collectable, but I wouldn't think it would sell for anything like that price - especially with a figure clipped from one of the panels. Even a high grade copy would struggle to reach that price IMHO.

The 1970s Newton reprints are relatively common, and I still see them around from time to time. Like most Australian comics, there's a scarcity of pricing data to draw on.

Duffman_comics has a mate who might be able to help with prices on those - and probably has a better idea of the Daredevil price than I do.

:blush:

OK, I'll give this a shot.

First up, here's a pretty good site that has a lot of good information.

Now, at that same site the Daredevil book is evident.

This book is the pick of the litter presented. I've seen a few but they don't present often and it is a very early reprint of DD #1.

With a lot of these Oz reprints there is no indicia and no publishing date on the comic, but quite often a glimpse of "when" can be obtained from the ads, especially those with coupons. They often have in tiny writing "5/63" and a publication "code" (say S.T. or some such) that gives an idea of time.

Value? None of these early Horwitz books regularly pop on eBay so I am reluctant to nominate a value.

That said lol they should be gettable in this condition for less than $100. I'd love someone to make a liar of me though.

The Newton reprints are worth a lot less, but can be very strange towards the end of the publisher's run. Fellow I know (John Corneille) was involved in the editing here and has some rather interesting observations of his time there here.

More as I think of it.

:blush:

OK, I'll give this a shot.

First up, here's a pretty good site that has a lot of good information.

Now, at that same site the Daredevil book is evident.

This book is the pick of the litter presented. I've seen a few but they don't present often and it is a very early reprint of DD #1.

With a lot of these Oz reprints there is no indicia and no publishing date on the comic, but quite often a glimpse of "when" can be obtained from the ads, especially those with coupons. They often have in tiny writing "5/63" and a publication "code" (say S.T. or some such) that gives an idea of time.

Value? None of these early Horwitz books regularly pop on eBay so I am reluctant to nominate a value.

That said lol they should be gettable in this condition for less than $100. I'd love someone to make a liar of me though.

The Newton reprints are worth a lot less, but can be very strange towards the end of the publisher's run. Fellow I know (John Corneille) was involved in the editing here and has some rather interesting observations of his time there here.

More as I think of it.

Great article about some of the history at Newton. I had to laugh at this quote though...

"For the first year they were pretty much organized with the Spider-Man stuff, the Fantastic Four and whatever, but after that first year it was a matter of print whatever we haven't printed or print whatever we've printed anyway but put a new cover on it. I wasn't even there for the last few months of it and they were just putting covers on old non-sold items, re-issuing and doing all sorts of dodgy things"

Bloody Dodgy Aussies lol

"...I wasn't even there for the last few months of it and they were just putting covers on old non-sold items, re-issuing and doing all sorts of dodgy things"

lol

Well it seems I haven't done too badly then.

In all honesty the whole lot (plus another Conan #1) cost just under $500 Australian.

Would I be right in thinking $2-3000 US for all 7 is about right?

As for Spidey - its in very good condition and there is a Dracula poster with it - now which comic that came from is another matter as it was just tucked inside the front cover.

Anyone have anymore specific values then great.

As for selling - not at the moment but I will need to shift some stuff next year as I'm setting up a room for my sci-fi movie props.

Thanks for the warm forum welcome - you all seem very helpfull.

Much appreciated

Andy

Good to see a thread on the boards with some Australian-related content

That's not entirely a novelty... link.

Thanks for your links Duffman_comics (if that really is your name - sounds like one of those dodgy Australian things to me.)

I loved the Newton quote:

"For the first year they were pretty much organized with the Spider-Man stuff, the Fantastic Four and whatever, but after that first year it was a matter of print whatever we haven't printed or print whatever we've printed anyway but put a new cover on it. I wasn't even there for the last few months of it and they were just putting covers on old non-sold items, re-issuing and doing all sorts of dodgy things"

I bought a batch of comics at a garage sale recently and I think I got one of the end run issues. It's a 100 page Silver Surfer special. It starts ok, with reprints of SS 14, 15, 16 then the first 11 pages of 17, then the splash page of JIM 110, then all but one page of the remaineder of SS 17, then the cover of a Dracula comic, then the remaining page from somewhere in the middle of SS17, then half a dozen pages of JIM 110, a Captain Marvel cover and then the rest of JIM 110. It's a tad confusing. :insane: