• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fellow Boardies Help, Is my ASM 1 Restored?

678 posts in this topic

I emailed CGC about submitting a book that's possibly valued over $3000, and got this response.

If you feel the value is over the Express limit of $3000, then yes the Walkthru services is the correct option. The cost is 3% of your initial estimated value for the comic, which covers the internal insurance while the book is here in our offices.

If, after the comic is graded, our graders may 'bump' the value as appropriate and you will be responsible for the difference in price. They are very conservative about this and will only bump the book if your value was significantly low.

On the flipside, if you way over value the comic we cannot bump down as we have already reported and thus paid insurance based on your value, even if its way high.

I'm just wondering what the best course of action is, in terms of my valuation of the book. Do I just play it by the Overstreet prices, GPA, or take a more conservative route and let them bump it up for me. I'd hate to overvalue something, and still be charged at that rate.

ASM #1. Looks like a 8.0 or better for certain, there's a mystery dark spot which may or may not be rice paper restoration. Obviously if it comes back with a PLOD then its value is going to be cut significantly.

All the fellow comic fans I've brought along to look at the book with me have been rather split down the middle in terms of whether its resto or not. If it resto its certainly Slight Professional.

ASM #1. Looks like a 8.0 or better for certain, there's a mystery dark spot which may or may not be rice paper restoration. Obviously if it comes back with a PLOD then its value is going to be cut significantly.

All the fellow comic fans I've brought along to look at the book with me have been rather split down the middle in terms of whether its resto or not. If it resto its certainly Slight Professional.

but that purple label is a huge deterrent none the less, any pictures?

yah they love love love people to bring in the high value books, it gives them more credibility and acclaim, and likely better profit margins. They'll want to treat you reasonably. So go a bit low, and wait or even pray for the bump (because it means your book is better!).

If it resto its certainly Slight Professional.

Does CGC ever give the "slight" restoration description for piece replacement? I can't remember ever seeing piece replacement being described by CGC on their label as anything less than "moderate" restoration. (shrug)hm

knowing the book may help, i'd undervalue by a bit and hope for no bump

Au contraire mon ami...

Nothing quite like getting the phone call that your book was undervalued!! (assuming you subbed it for about what you thought it was worth).

Whatever additional cost you incur is way more than offset by the increase in the books value.

First time it ever happened to me, Scott called (7/8 years ago) and informed me that my FF #11 was coming back as a 9.4. (I had no idea at the time that there were only two others on the CGC Census). So the book went from economy to express and cost me another $40 or so. Turns out what I thought was a $300 book was now guiding for $1200 and actually sold shortly thereafter for around 8X's Guide. BUT, they didn't attempt to guesstimate what FMV was and charge accordingly, so I came out way ahead.

Now this instance is quite a bit trickier IMHO, due to the potential resto issue.

If you were to assume that it's unrestored and pay $95 for express and it comes back Purple, you've actually overpaid by $35 to $50. Perhaps it's best to go ow and let them ring you up if it's unrestored. This would clearly be the right approach for a Big Ticket book via Walk-thru if resto were suspected... hm

I'm considering sending the book off to Matt Nelson first, and have him take a look at it. I'll post up screens later, so you guys can weigh in your 2 cents. A 3rd party dealer who I brought in to look at the book said that it's not like any restoration he's seen before, and rather attributes it to some sort of weird dust shadow, or fading.

I'll post up screens later, so you guys can weigh in your 2 cents.

Be sure to post scans of both sides of the paper where you think the piece replacement could have been made.

It might be a good idea to have Matt look at it.

Are you near any of the big cons? He usually sets up at those and will check out your book for a reasonable fee on the spot.

I'll post up screens later, so you guys can weigh in your 2 cents.

Be sure to post scans of both sides of the paper where you think the piece replacement could have been made.

Will do. I either am going to be making out like a bandit, or losing about a grand. No returns, but the risk is worth the reward.

If it comes back in the grade I think it might with a blue label, beers on me (next time any of us are at a con together.)

If it resto its certainly Slight Professional.

Does CGC ever give the "slight" restoration description for piece replacement? I can't remember ever seeing piece replacement being described by CGC on their label as anything less than "moderate" restoration. (shrug)hm

My fault, its likely a re-enforcement not piece replacement, if anything.

It might be a good idea to have Matt look at it.

Are you near any of the big cons? He usually sets up at those and will check out your book for a reasonable fee on the spot.

I've been talking to him through e-mail, and I think I'll end up sending it his way first. Saves a CGC fee, and he can determine whether there's any resto, and if so try to remove it.

I'll make sure to post up some pictures on here first so you guys can weigh in.