• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fellow Boardies Help, Is my ASM 1 Restored?

678 posts in this topic

Going to send it off to CGC, and go from there. The dealer is a great guy, and any attempts to slag him off are misplaced. If anything its simply a matter of not knowing restoration as well as some of the profesional spotters.

Sounds like you may be right, I'm definitely hoping you are!

Not being able to detect resto isnt a crime and isnt something I'd never deal with someone over. Sticking someone with a 2k plod for 10k is something I would NEVER deal with someone over though. I don't care if it was as is or the risk/reward junk Roy is talking about. A standup dealer would not do that to a customer IMO. Anyone who would isn't someone I or most people would ever want to deal with again.

The whole point of business is to have happy repeat customers not fleece someone for 8k on a "as is" sale IMO. Hopefully, this guys is one of the good guys and all will be made right for you :wishluck:

Going to send it off to CGC, and go from there. The dealer is a great guy, and any attempts to slag him off are misplaced. If anything its simply a matter of not knowing restoration as well as some of the profesional spotters.

That dealer is not a great guy. He is nice to you because he is giving you the pork sword. That resto is as easy to spot as any I have ever seen on a scan on here. It is blatant. Absolutely blatant. I am sorry for your troubles, but you got hosed.

Pork sword, cornie....

You're on a roll today. lol

No offense, but I really can't fathom how anyone could buy this book without spotting the resto.

If you have so much money to throw thousands of dollars on this without having the basic resto knowledge it would take to spot this, then you obviously have more money than sense.

Good luck with your short and painful stay in our hobby. We will have fun rolling around naked in the money you spent while you were here.

Any dealer attempting to sell anything 'as is' is questionable.

Every dealer can drop the ball, but every dealer should have an iron-clad returns policy in place and where resto is concerned, it should be entirely open-ended.

Restoration today is much more advance to the point where yes, some people can even replicate dot patterns.

Really? I assumed nobody did that--you've seen it?

Every dealer can drop the ball, but every dealer should have an iron-clad returns policy in place and where resto is concerned, it should be entirely open-ended.

Then why won't you take the book back? :sumo:

:jokealert:

That dealer is not a great guy. He is nice to you because he is giving you the pork sword. That resto is as easy to spot as any I have ever seen on a scan on here. It is blatant. Absolutely blatant. I am sorry for your troubles, but you got hosed.

Have I ever told you how much I love you??? (worship)

It's possible he is just the worst resto detector in the history of 30 year dealers but I gotta agree that that's about as easy to spot resto as I've seen and I'm no expert for sure. If this guy can't spot THAT, he shouldn't be selling books for 10k cash IMO

No offense, but I really can't fathom how anyone could buy this book without spotting the resto.

If you have so much money to throw thousands of dollars on this without having the basic resto knowledge it would take to spot this, then you obviously have more money than sense.

That's pretty harsh. Anyone I've met who does know resto detection has one defining transaction that broke their resto-detection cherry and pulled them into learning the basics of it because they got ripped off (or almost ripped off) for lots of money. It looks here as if this book is Symbiotic's big learning transaction.

Good luck with your short and painful stay in our hobby. We will have fun rolling around naked in the money you spent while you were here.

Pretty uncalled for.. You have no idea about me, or what this book means to me on a personal level. I've just suffered a very personal loss and the purchase of this book had significant sentimental value.

Oh yeah, once someone pointed out to me (and I have little to no experience in resto) you can very clearly see the halftone dots are gone from those areas. That's not light or angles - the ink is just not there. Which, I guess I'm a little surprised about - wouldn't a resto guy want to replicate the dot patterns of the chunks he's replacing?

That's like asking "wouldn't someone want a space ship in 1890?" lol

It just wasn't done that way back in the day.

Restoration today is much more advance to the point where yes, some people can even replicate dot patterns.

Resto detection is just a matter of experience. Looking at a few samples of what to look for is a very easy way of learning it and you quickly come to "spot it" as it jumps out at you.

I imagine it's a lot more advanced - but replicating a dot pattern, especially ones from the 60's - which are infinitely larger than modern ones - seems more of a craftsmanship issue. Black ink and an appropriate-sized needlepoint seems like it would do the trick, and those tools have been around longer than the printing press.

But, hey - who knows. Maybe I'm just reading into it more than I should. (shrug)

If this guy can't spot THAT, he shouldn't be selling books for 10k cash IMO

So if a Spidey #1 walks in the door of the 80% of small comics shop owners who have no experience with restoration detection, how are they supposed to know they can't detect it to be able to know to tell the guy who walked in that they shouldn't be selling them the book because he has no right to deal in books of that caliber? :insane:

Symbiotic--without revealing who the dealer is, do you think this guy has dealt with many high-dollar books like this in the past?

Pork sword, cornie....

You're on a roll today. lol

Pork sword up the ol' cornie. I'm eagerly awaiting the third colorful euphemism for the Fingh DIrty Word Trifecta.

Although I would add that any dealer missing that piece of restoration should not be dealing comics. :facepalm:

And all of the 'experts' that viewed it need to hand in their badges. :facepalm: :facepalm:

Pretty uncalled for.. You have no idea about me, or what this book means to me on a personal level. I've just suffered a very personal loss and the purchase of this book had significant sentimental value.

Oh don't take my comment personally. I hope the guy gives you your money back. If he doesn't he should be outed so we know who he is. I wish you no ill will.

That said, I still can't believe this transaction happened. It seems surreal to me.

If it's legit, you need to spend about 6 months doing nothing but reading the threads on these boards before throwing away another pound.

I'm going to talk to the dealer tomorrow. Could anyone summarize, what you think are the main visible signs of resto. And does anyone have a scan of a pristine non-touched ASM 1 to compare to?

The discoloration visible all along the right edge, lower-right corner, and lower edge are visible on both the exterior cover scan and the corresponding areas of the interior cover scan, that's the main evidence everyone's pointing out as being so blatant.

Here's my copy to compare it to. A much larger scan is available at this link.

Spidey1.jpg

Sorry this happened to you :(

Why didn't you take someone from the boards with you as discussed in the other thread?

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5760106&nt=2&fpart=1

If i were you i would demand my money back and if he doesn't pay take legal action. That restoration is so obvious that i guarantee he knew about it.