• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Pre-Teen Sister is getting into Comics, suggestions to read?

43 posts in this topic

Great suggestions guys. She's currently sinking her teeth into X-Men First Class.

Kind of great to see such a fire for the stuff, remember when I first got my first couple Black Spidey books when I was growing up from my uncle.

So did she only read the Dark Phoenix saga (X-120 something to 137), because all of the stories leading up to that (GSX #1, X-94 to 142) are well worth reading as well.

The stories are all closely interconnected.

I gave her some of my reading copies, but since I don't have one for GSX1 and 94, she'll have to fill in the blanks for now haha.

I picked up Spider-Man Blue, and Daredevil Yellow, which are really great introductions to new characters, especially for the younger crowd. Now she's wanting to dig into ASMs and Daredevil runs as well.

Miller's first run on Daredevil is fun, not too dark and has Elektra and the Black Widow, in the event it's strong female characters that interest her.

Great suggestion, good intro to Miller as well.

Pre-Teen? Batman Adventures, Superman Adventures, X-Men First Class. And load up on lots of Ducks! Gladstone reprints are cheap and they are entertaining as all get out. If you're 5 or 95 most Disney Comics are enormously entertaining.

It justr struck me - Joss Whedon's 24 Issue run on Astonishing X-Menj would be perfect (thumbs u

....you could also try some Sandman or Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. Alien Worlds by PC and then Eclipse is also a good introduction to how good comics can be. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It justr struck me - Joss Whedon's 24 Issue run on Astonishing X-Menj would be perfect (thumbs u

That's actually the first series she bought on her own to read, and what got her into comics in the first place. Right on with the other suggestions too.

I would suggest starting on the Ultimate X-Men. Couple of reasons, all the trades are easily available and if (or rather when) she wants to start collecting the indvidial books, they are still reasonably priced.

Start them reading young and keep them hungry (thumbs u

The kids that come into the shop I work at part-time are always interested in Sonic and Sonic Universe. They can't get enough of that book.

EDIT: 13 "might" be a little old for Sonic, although a few teenagers also routinely ask for the book.

A lot of adults have recommended me the kids comics from BOOM!. I never got around to it but by all accounts they are good.

Anything by R. Crumb!!
For a kid?

When I was 13 I was buying everything by Crumb I could get my hands on, but probably wouldn't recommend it for someone's 13 year old sister. :D

13 is a tricky age, when some kids ramp up in maturity in terms of their reading material and are fully capable of appreciating more mature content, while others only have an interest in traditionally juvenile material.