• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spiderman #9: Poor or qualified?

31 posts in this topic

Newt, did you know that your book is missing the top part on the front cover? I just wanted to let you know.

OH [!@#%^&^]!!! WOW, I didn't even notice that....it was advertised VF/NM on ebay. I got hosed! 893whatthe.gif

Newt, did you know that your book is missing the top part on the front cover? I just wanted to let you know.

OH [!@#%^&^]!!! WOW, I didn't even notice that....it was advertised VF/NM on ebay. I got hosed!

frown.gif

I didn't want to be the one to break it to you, but yeah. insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Anyways....I snagged this little passage from the 2004 Overstreet:

Books in this condition generally have all pages and most of the covers, although there may be up to 1/4 of the front cover missing or no back cover, but not both.

This is what it said for Fair 1.0 so I guess it still gets the blue label. wink.gif

This is what it said for Fair 1.0 so I guess it still gets the blue label. wink.gif

I was kidding about the VF/NM thing insane.gif

I bought it as a poor. So your saying it is actually a fair as long as the 3/4s of cover stays on? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

It's on the cusp between 1.0 and 0.5, but since it looks to be in collectible shape apart from the chunk missing, I'd go 1.0.

wow this is really good news to me because there is about a 30 dollar difference between the price of a poor and a fair and I paid the poor price. Nice to know I actually got a deal.

Do you think cgc would grade it a 1.0 or is this just wishful thinking?

Could a comic in this kind of shape get a QUALIFIED grade? Because if I were judging based on just the back cover and the inside alone I'd call this book a 3.0 to a 3.5

No, my understanding is that qualified grades are given to books that are otherwise very high grade, but have one flaw that is inconsistent with the otherwise high grade (the classic example being a NM+ comic with a clean 2 inch tear on the back cover). It does not apply to low grade comics.

It's on the cusp between 1.0 and 0.5, but since it looks to be in collectible shape apart from the chunk missing, I'd go 1.0.

wow this is really good news to me because there is about a 30 dollar difference between the price of a poor and a fair and I paid the poor price. Nice to know I actually got a deal.

Do you think cgc would grade it a 1.0 or is this just wishful thinking?

Could a comic in this kind of shape get a QUALIFIED grade? Because if I were judging based on just the back cover and the inside alone I'd call this book a 3.0 to a 3.5

Just got an email from diva:

Newt,

Unfortunately, when the top half of the cover is missing - it's an

automatic Poor. This was routinely done by newstand vendors on

returned books, before the direct market, and such copies are

plentiful. They are still great reader copies, however.

David

Oh well. I'm still happy that I own it grin.gifthumbsup2.gif

Just got an email from diva:

Newt,

Unfortunately, when the top half of the cover is missing - it's an

automatic Poor. This was routinely done by newstand vendors on

returned books, before the direct market, and such copies are

plentiful. They are still great reader copies, however.

David

Oh well. I'm still happy that I own it grin.gifthumbsup2.gif

It's not quite the top half. More like the top third. That's why I said somewhere between 1.0 and 0.5, leaning toward 1.0 because the rest of the book is in relatively nicer shape than your standard "Fair" comic.

I might go with fair grade too, but it's either fair or poor. As FFB said, qualified is reserved for high grades.

THERE'S your hard evidence of my grading accuracy!!!! sumo.gif

No, my understanding is that qualified grades are given to books that are otherwise very high grade, but have one flaw that is inconsistent with the otherwise high grade (the classic example being a NM+ comic with a clean 2 inch tear on the back cover). It does not apply to low grade comics.

Sorry, FFB, just plain wrong. Take a look at any census report, but a good one to look at is Incredible Hulk #181:

http://www.cgccomics.com/poplookup/grades_standard.asp?title=Incredible+Hulk+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++&issue=181++++&publisher=Marvel+Comics++++++++++++&year=1974&issuedate=11%2F74+++++++++++++++

Qualified grades are given all the way down to GD/VG 3.0 (hardly limited to high grades). sumo.gif

Sorry, FFB, just plain wrong. Take a look at any census report, but a good one to look at is Incredible Hulk #181:

http://www.cgccomics.com/poplookup/grades_standard.asp?title=Incredible+Hulk+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++&issue=181++++&publisher=Marvel+Comics++++++++++++&year=1974&issuedate=11%2F74+++++++++++++++

Qualified grades are given all the way down to GD/VG 3.0 (hardly limited to high grades). sumo.gif

So now that you have seen the scan of the book diva....do you think it is poor, fair, or possibly a qualified low to mid grade? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That only applies in this case because of the Marvel value stamp. FFB is otherwise correct, in books that DON'T have a MVS then qualified grades won't be below the higher grades unless there's a coupon missing or something of that nature.

Brian

That's a Fair!

But even though I collect fairs on the old marvels I don't like that much of the cover missing.

frown.gif

Most likely those are SIGNED comics. SIGNED comics get green labels at any grade level because the signatures can't be verified. They are not given green labels because they contain a defect that does not belong on an otherwise high grade book.

That only applies in this case because of the Marvel value stamp. FFB is otherwise correct, in books that DON'T have a MVS then qualified grades won't be below the higher grades unless there's a coupon missing or something of that nature.

Brian

Brian,

Have you seen any low grade Hulk 181's missing value stamps and getting the green labels? I haven't seen any. confused-smiley-013.gif

Brian

Brian,

Have you seen any low grade Hulk 181's missing value stamps and getting the green labels? I haven't seen any. confused-smiley-013.gif

So anyway, I just checked. It looks like they don't give the green label even for missing MVS below 3.0. There are several Hulk 181s at 1.5 and 1.0 in GPAnalysis that do not have the green label but are missing MVS.

I did not know that they went extra low for the MVS. That is good to know. On other defects besides missing coupons, I haven't seen a qualified label for a book below 8.0 or so.

But the bottom line, Newt, is that CGC will not put that book in a green label. If you still want confirmation, call and ask them. 1-877-NM-COMIC

Most likely those are SIGNED comics. SIGNED comics get green labels at any grade level because the signatures can't be verified. They are not given green labels because they contain a defect that does not belong on an otherwise high grade book.

Nope, FFB, "most likely" wrong again - sometimes I think you make it up as you go. You have no basis to make that assumption. It is more likely that these all have the value stamps or coupons cut out. Check out the numbers again. 893frustrated.gif