• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 10 1/2 hour Florida Supercon odyssey!

242 posts in this topic

5) You're all a bunch of butthurt crybabies.

It's chronic. I'm a Flames and Blue Jays fan. :cry:

Jiri Hudler...........

Prepare to be dazzled and aggravated to no end.

Ridiculous set of hands and very creative, but can't battle his way out of a wet, paper sack.

I disagree. As a longtime WINGS fan, he can battle his way out, but oh so slowly...

A few points because I'm bored and like stirring up mess:

1) Treating women as if they need to be protected - the "White Knight syndrome" - is a form of sexism.

2) Taking (1) into account, if you aren't sexist, you should see no distinction between making fun of woman dressing in a costume that is inappropriate for her physique, and making fun of a fat dude in a skin tight Spidey outfit.

3) Cosplay is mainly about getting attention; if you're gonna do it, you're opening yourself up to compliments or criticism. Again, assuming that a woman needs to be protected from this is, in itself, sexist.

4) I think people are coming down particularly hard on Sufunk, and thus blowing this out of proportion, because of the aggressive "anti-bigot" stance he has taken on other hot-button issues.

I agree with a lot of this, I think Sufunk is very passionate on a number of topics, in a good way. I don't believe women should be treated differently.

But I differ on a few things that have been going on here.

People ask me all the time, if the pictures of almost naked women posted here offend me. Most pictures on here, don't, because most of them are pictures of people who posed deliberately and the comments (drooling, panting, and whatever aside) are complimentary. They might be childishly complimentary, but they are positive.

What does offend me are the pictures posted of people, who some boarders (not all, but some) think it's OK to make fun of, male or female, they make me uncomfortable. I am pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels that way..

I was struck by something Jason said at the beginning. That he didn't like the way the young girl looked in the costume, but he was nice to her in person.

I did PM him and tried to get him to understand that she could possibly get a link to this thread and see the unkind comments, and that it just wasn't necessary to be unkind. I guess that we think differently because he was mentioning some other thread with bad pictures and I don't think two wrongs make a right (especially when driving;) .

I have no problem with people taking pictures of anyone dressed up at a con that they want to show to other boarders, as long as it's for a positive reason.

But think of it this way...if you are not going to say IN PERSON to someone, what you are going to say about a picture you post here...there is a reason not to say it when you post it. I don't get the benefit of posting stuff to be mean.

When you post on the internet you never know where those posts will go. If someone shows her this thread, would you all be able to say to this beautiful young lady that she chose a costume that really didn't suit her, so you felt it was OK to make comments here? and better yet, would you say it in PERSON, not behind a computer? Do any of you work for those TV programs where you change how people dress? If you watch one, they do it in a positive manner. None of this, especially those word balloon postings were positive.

Again, Jason mentioned some thread with people who where all less than attractive and said NO ONE said anything there...I missed that one, probably because the title was not something I'd be interested in seeing, like a Con...but of course, MALE or FEMALE, if it's just unkind. there is no plus side to it.

I'm sorry if I sound like someone's mom...but that's exactly what I am....if you take pictures you want to share...take ones you can share joyfully...and I don't mean 6th grade snickering because you can get away with it online "joyfully" ...I'm pretty sure everyone here is past that age, or one would hope.

I'm not offended as a woman, but I am ashamed and embarrassed to see some of this stuff as a person.

i'm on my way...my con report will be coming later.

I think you'll like it Mark. I know you are more into raw books and a little lower grades than i usually go for so from what i saw they definitely had some nice books you'd like (thumbs u

Jason, since we live close to each other I've tried to be nice and look the other way with some of your posts...but recently I have to say you are annoying. Between your thread on look my Ms. Marvel's backside to stuff in this thread...it's struck a nerve...and I can't be the only one.

First, you are mistaken that I am "into raw books"....90% of my collection is slabbed. I barely see how that is being "into raw books". And, thanks for pointing out that I prefer lower grades than you. You really think you are the BSD and must prove it to all of us with your "LOOK AT ME" threads. Oh, look at my pedigree thread... like I have interest in seeing what pedigree you bought each week. meh

And Jason, we all joke around here about things but your posts are pretty out of line with respect to others and how they look.

It's one thing to post a picture of a girl that most would perceive as being over weight and just let the picture speak for itself....it's entirely different to actually post their picture and say derogatory things about them.

How about you look in the mirror? I've met you. You are not perfect...far from it.

And, I have to say that regardless of the details from that ASM 1 thread from Symbiotic....your comment about his father was disgusting and out of line.

You may think your comics are perfect....but you as a person are far from it.

Why it's good just to read comics :preach: . . . and posts like this.

i'm on my way...my con report will be coming later.

I think you'll like it Mark. I know you are more into raw books and a little lower grades than i usually go for so from what i saw they definitely had some nice books you'd like (thumbs u

Jason, since we live close to each other I've tried to be nice and look the other way with some of your posts...but recently I have to say you are annoying. Between your thread on look my Ms. Marvel's backside to stuff in this thread...it's struck a nerve...and I can't be the only one.

First, you are mistaken that I am "into raw books"....90% of my collection is slabbed. I barely see how that is being "into raw books". And, thanks for pointing out that I prefer lower grades than you. You really think you are the BSD and must prove it to all of us with your "LOOK AT ME" threads. Oh, look at my pedigree thread... like I have interest in seeing what pedigree you bought each week. meh

And Jason, we all joke around here about things but your posts are pretty out of line with respect to others and how they look.

It's one thing to post a picture of a girl that most would perceive as being over weight and just let the picture speak for itself....it's entirely different to actually post their picture and say derogatory things about them.

How about you look in the mirror? I've met you. You are not perfect...far from it.

And, I have to say that regardless of the details from that ASM 1 thread from Symbiotic....your comment about his father was disgusting and out of line.

You may think your comics are perfect....but you as a person are far from it.

Why it's good just to read comics :preach: . . . and posts like this.

The guy spoke from his heart. It was good for Mark1 to take the high road, but on the points he raised, I can understand and see why he said what he did.

I also agree entirely with Roy.

This thread would become the Friday thread that every Friday thread wishes it could be if that female who was insulted or her family/friends caught sufunks post.

Yeah, i saw a few people ask at like Crazy eds booth and they were definitely SHOCKED at the prices. I think people not familiar with slabs think that a 9.6-9.8 will be like 1.5-2.0x's the 9.2 price in Overstreet. When they find out its really 8-10x's Overstreet a lot of the times, it boggles their minds.

And this is my issue with the whole slabbing/CGC thing...it's made collecting high grade issues really tough and expensive, perhaps out of the price ranges of most 'average' collectors really. It's great if you're a dealer and already have the capital to buy this sort of stuff, but the range of collectors who can afford to pay 5-10X Overstreet is fairly narrow for the most part.

Not to mention...the CGC grading can be a little inconsistent at times as well. I've seen several 9.4 copies look better (after deslabbing) than ones labeled 9.6 or 9.8 any number of times in my experience. All it is in the end is someone's (i.e. the grader's) opinion, so that compounds the issue with paying those sort of multiples of guide for a book, IMHO.

Yeah, i saw a few people ask at like Crazy eds booth and they were definitely SHOCKED at the prices. I think people not familiar with slabs think that a 9.6-9.8 will be like 1.5-2.0x's the 9.2 price in Overstreet. When they find out its really 8-10x's Overstreet a lot of the times, it boggles their minds.

And this is my issue with the whole slabbing/CGC thing...it's made collecting high grade issues really tough and expensive, perhaps out of the price ranges of most 'average' collectors really. It's great if you're a dealer and already have the capital to buy this sort of stuff, but the range of collectors who can afford to pay 5-10X Overstreet is fairly narrow for the most part.

Not to mention...the CGC grading can be a little inconsistent at times as well. I've seen several 9.4 copies look better (after deslabbing) than ones labeled 9.6 or 9.8 any number of times in my experience. All it is in the end is someone's (i.e. the grader's) opinion, so that compounds the issue with paying those sort of multiples of guide for a book, IMHO.

Cool story, bro.

To be completely fair, it's only higher or highest grade copies (or rare or key books) that fetch these multiples of guide. Quite honestly, top tier books were fetching multiples of guide before CGC was ever conceived or a book was slabbed. CGC has simply helped standardize the grades but grade multiples for top books have been around for decades.

For people who don't want to pay large multiples to own a 9.8 copy, you can just settle for a 9.0 or a 9.2 copy at an affordable price. That's what most people do.

Not much has changed except that the CGC holder has increased liquidity and standardized grading. The rest is still the same with people paying top prices for top quality books.

Finally, for people who don't like CGC graded books being kept in a holder, just remove them from the holder once you purchase them. That's what most collectors do in a case like this.

Cool story, bro.

:/

To be completely fair, it's only higher or highest grade copies (or rare or key books) that fetch these multiples of guide. Quite honestly, top tier books were fetching multiples of guide before CGC was ever conceived or a book was slabbed. CGC has simply helped standardize the grades but grade multiples for top books have been around for decades.

I remember multiples of guide for very high grade books (and I understand it, since obviously the super-high grade stuff isn't all over the place), but I don't remember THOSE (7-10X) sort of multiples being common in the pre-CGC days (been collecting 25+ years) for even very high grade copies.

I was just commenting (lamenting?) about how sky-high those have gotten, perhaps out of the question for many regular collectors. And I even own some 9.6-9.8 type books, and I feel this way. :)

1) Treating women as if they need to be protected - the "White Knight syndrome" - is a form of sexism.

2) Taking (1) into account, if you aren't sexist, you should see no distinction between making fun of woman dressing in a costume that is inappropriate for her physique, and making fun of a fat dude in a skin tight Spidey outfit.

3) Cosplay is mainly about getting attention; if you're gonna do it, you're opening yourself up to compliments or criticism. Again, assuming that a woman needs to be protected from this is, in itself, sexist.

4) I think people are coming down particularly hard on Sufunk, and thus blowing this out of proportion, because of the aggressive "anti-bigot" stance he has taken on other hot-button issues.

I agree with a lot of this, I think Sufunk is very passionate on a number of topics, in a good way. I don't believe women should be treated differently.

People ask me all the time, if the pictures of almost naked women posted here offend me. Most pictures on here, don't, because most of them are pictures of people who posed deliberately and the comments (drooling, panting, and whatever aside) are complimentary. They might be childishly complimentary, but they are positive.

What does offend me are the pictures posted of people, who some boarders (not all, but some) think it's OK to make fun of, male or female, they make me uncomfortable. I am pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels that way..

I was struck by something Jason said at the beginning. That he didn't like the way the young girl looked in the costume, but he was nice to her in person.

I did PM him and tried to get him to understand that she could possibly get a link to this thread and see the unkind comments, and that it just wasn't necessary to be unkind. I guess that we think differently because he was mentioning some other thread with bad pictures and I don't think two wrongs make a right (especially when driving;) .

I have no problem with people taking pictures of anyone dressed up at a con that they want to show to other boarders, as long as it's for a positive reason.

But think of it this way...if you are not going to say IN PERSON to someone, what you are going to say about a picture you post here...there is a reason not to say it when you post it. I don't get the benefit of posting stuff to be mean.

When you post on the internet you never know where those posts will go. If someone shows her this thread, would you all be able to say to this beautiful young lady that she chose a costume that really didn't suit her, so you felt it was OK to make comments here? and better yet, would you say it in PERSON, not behind a computer? Do any of you work for those TV programs where you change how people dress? If you watch one, they do it in a positive manner. None of this, especially those word balloon postings were positive.

Again, Jason mentioned some thread with people who where all less than attractive and said NO ONE said anything there...I missed that one, probably because the title was not something I'd be interested in seeing, like a Con...but of course, MALE or FEMALE, if it's just unkind. there is no plus side to it.

I'm sorry if I sound like someone's mom...but that's exactly what I am....if you take pictures you want to share...take ones you can share joyfully...and I don't mean 6th grade snickering because you can get away with it online "joyfully" ...I'm pretty sure everyone here is past that age, or one would hope.

I'm not offended as a woman, but I am ashamed and embarrassed to see some of this stuff as a person.

Nice post Sharon.

Ultimately, I agree that it's unkind to take pictures of people and post them for a lark, but this is far from the first instance where someone posted those kinds of pics in a con report. People are piling on Sufunk because they have other agendas.

The only comment I have about this particular girl seeing this thread, or anyone choosing to do anything to get attention in general, is that people - young, old, male, female, and everything in between - need to be aware that with the existence of the internet, cell phone cameras, facebook, youtube, etc... you run the risk of being overexposed whenever you decide to draw attention to yourself in public - in any context. Right or wrong, kind or unkind, that's the reality.

I don't have kids. If I ever do, I would try to instill a certain amount of personal accountability and teach them not to rely on strangers to be kind or do the right thing, but rather to be savvy enough not to put themselves in situations where they can be ridiculed. And if they choose to put themselves in those situations, to be prepared to deal with the consequences.

Nice post Sharon.

Ultimately, I agree that it's unkind to take pictures of people and post them for a lark, but this is far from the first instance where someone posted those kinds of pics in a con report. People are piling on Sufunk because they have other agendas.

The only comment I have about this particular girl seeing this thread, or anyone choosing to do anything to get attention in general, is that people - young, old, male, female, and everything in between - need to be aware that with the existence of the internet, cell phone cameras, facebook, youtube, etc... you run the risk of being overexposed whenever you decide to draw attention to yourself in public - in any context. Right or wrong, kind or unkind, that's the reality.

I don't have kids. If I ever do, I would try to instill a certain amount of personal accountability and teach them not to rely on strangers to be kind or do the right thing, but rather to be savvy enough not to put themselves in situations where they can be ridiculed. And if they choose to put themselves in those situations, to be prepared to deal with the consequences.

You better pray that you are loaded up with Y chromosomes, dude.

Nice post Sharon.

I'm not worried. My cousin's girlfriend's brother told me that making a boy is just a matter of running "The Expendables" in the background during copulation.

Nice post Sharon.

I'm not worried. My cousin's girlfriend's brother told me that making a boy is just a matter of running "The Expendables" in the background during copulation.

hm

Nice post Sharon.

lol...Andrew, it's OK to have girls, my daughter has probably never been more than a size 6, and she'd never think of wearing something like that;)

But of course you know those are different issues;)

and it's not just Jason I was talking to...actually, I didn't post till the word balloons;)

Anyway, I'll refrain from further comment so I don't cause a run on copies of "The Expendables".

Nice post Sharon.

Teach kids not to wait for others to be kind, but to show them how.

Kindness is one of the highest forms of wisdom.

Actually, once a book is CGC'd, it is very easy for a dealer to be cut out of the picture entirely.

CGC'd books can be bought and sold between individual collectors over the internet much more safely than raw books.

When you are buying raw books over the internet, the seller's reputation is much more important than when you are buying slabs.

It's great if you're a dealer and already have the capital to buy this sort of stuff, but the range of collectors who can afford to pay 5-10X Overstreet is fairly narrow for the most part.