• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My 10 1/2 hour Florida Supercon odyssey!

242 posts in this topic

WHEW!!! That was QUITE the day!!!

Head down to the show and get there at 11:45 since i THINK it starts at noon. Pay my 25 beans and they let us in and i start looking around. 5 minutes later, the guards come around and tell us we have to get out because we were mistakenly let in and this part of the show doesnt start until 2pm :censored:

The games and anime part upstairs starts at noon but i have zero interest in that so i go out to my car and listen to sports radio for an hour and a half. 2pm rolls around and we go back in. As Jive predicted, not much in the way of books that im interested in. There were a decent amount of CGC books and even some HG but just nothing in my focus. If you are looking for raw 6.0-7.0 books, you would have been pretty happy. They did have a LOT of really cool art though which i got a little of.

2 pretty cool Avengers prints personally signed by Neal Adams

con3.jpg

con6.jpg

A REALLYcool piece of OA from an artist i never heard of but hey its the Avengers so for $80, i was THRILLED to get it!

con4.jpg

And lastly, this print that you guys KNOW i LOVE! :cloud9:

con5.jpg

By this time it is 3:40 and i need to be back at my studio by 4:30 so i call it a day. I get halfway home and my "low engine coolant" light goes on. 30 seconds later my "overheat" light goes on. 60 more seconds later and the car starts making a funny noise and dies as i pull onto the shoulder. Of course, my wife didnt renew our AAA since we get roadside assistance thru ATT and our iphones. I call for a tow truck and they tell me if will be 1 1/2 to 2 hours! :censored: No joke, its 100 degrees out and im on the side of the road and have to pee REALLY bad!

2 hours and 15 minutes go by with no truck so i call ATT. They put me on hold and tell me they are so sorry, the tow truck coming for me broke down so they will arrange for another to come to me. 20 minutes later they finally call back and tell me another truck will be there within an hour. Its now 7pm. 1 hour and 20 minutes later and the truck finally pulls up. They get my car loaded up, i pay and hop in the truck for him to drive me home. Driver gets in turns the key and.......NOTHING!!! Battery on the tow truck is dead as a doornail! :facepalm:

1hour later another of their trucks comes by finally and jumps us. Its now 9:45 pm, ive lost 10 lbs from sweating all day, stink like a homeless person and havent eaten a single thing all day long! Finally, at 10:15 and i'm back home from my 1st con!!!! Yeah for me!!! lol

Man what a freaking day!!!

Oh, and THIS was the best part of the con. I have no clue who she was dressed up as, some Final fantasy character, but damn was she cute! :cloud9: If i was 15 years younger, id probably be stalking her right about now cus she definitely had me smitten in her little outfit! lol

con2.jpg

This was the worst part of the con! Do NOT try to squeeze into a Ms Marvel (especially my beloved Ms Marvel!!!)costume when you weigh 180lbs please ladies! meh

con1.jpg

Be a nice male specimen.

(tsk)

You would NOT be saying that if you spent 10 minutes behind her in line like i had to with the view i had! It was not a pretty sight!

I'm not saying every girl has to be a supermodel but do NOt squeeze into a skin tight thong and go out in public when you weigh MUCh more than a thong can support! (thumbs u

Either way, i just spent 7 hours on the side oof the highway in 100 degree heat with no food, no drinks, 3 cigs and NO BATHROOM! I am NOT in a PC mood right about now! lol

Neal Adams had that Hawkeye?!?! He definitely did not have that at Heroes or I would also have it! On a side note I got the other Adams print that you got as well, great minds apparently think alike!

Yeah, he was a REALLY nice guy but damn he's not a good businessman! lol

The prints he signed for free when you bought them. At his table was a sign that said "picture of Neal-FREE, picture WITH Neal-$10". The guy in front of me wanted a picture with Neal so Neal proceeds to tell him "hey, you can take a pic of me for free but it's $10 to take a pic with me so why don't you just take the free pic and then photoshop yourself in later and save $10".

The guy gave him a befuddled look and handed over the $10 and took his pic. The guy didn't even smell or look like a comic stalker freak so I can only assume Neal really just wanted to save him $10 (shrug)

Well since he charges 50 bucks for a tiny head sketch on a print that takes him 30 seconds I am assuming he doesn't need the cash. It also can't hurt that he is one o the most recognizable people in comics.

Be a nice male specimen.

(tsk)

Hey! I was perfectly nice to her and let her and her 2 other friends cut in front of me in line sothe breakdown was apparently karma for some other indiscretion hm

Well since he charges 50 bucks for a tiny head sketch on a print that takes him 30 seconds I am assuming he doesn't need the cash. It also can't hurt that he is one o the most recognizable people in comics.

Yeah, I was trying to mentally calculate what he must rake in in a day at even a small con like this. I don't know what it is but it must be a LOT!!! :o

Like I said, the prints he signed for free when you bought them but to sign anything else, he charged $5 a sig. There were guys in line that not only had him sign like 20-25 books, some of them were having him sign the same book multiple times! The guy in front of me that paid the $10 for the pic with him had him sign at least 20 different books and like 5 of those books he had different pages bookmarked and had Neal sign them on at least 4-5 different pages. He had some modern Batman book that he had him sign literally like 7 different pages. The dude must have spent like $300 bucks just on sigs!

Again, I don't know what the exact total must have been but Neal definitely had a pretty damn good payday for sitting there for 6 hours signing books!

I'd renew my AAA membership.

Oh trust me, AT&T will never see that $2.99 a month from me again! Not to mention, they only cover the 1st $50 and since it was like 17 miles from where I needed to be towed, I still had to pay $94 after all that nonsense!

Oh, and I did get to meet a couple boardies. I was at one booth looking at their wall books. They actually had some damn nice books! A GA Captain America 1, a 3.5 SS PLOD Hulk 1 and a bunch of others. I was wearing that BA Avengers shirt I posted a few days ago and as I'm standing there, the guy behind the booth looks at me and says "Jason???". I was a little puzzled and said "yeah" and he says "ah, I figured that was you from the shirt". Turns out it was miamiknight who was helping to work the booth. Another boardie was also there behind the booth who introduced himself. I apologize to whoever that was but I can't remember for the life of me since I'm pretty sure I fried like 28% of my brain standing on the side of the highway today :screwy:

Does Neal Adams have a son Josh btw?

On the other side of his booth was a guy with a Josh Adams sign drawing stuff with some prints on the table. He definitely wasn't raking in what Neal was though!

On the other side of his booth was a guy with a Josh Adams sign drawing stuff with some prints on the table. He definitely wasn't raking in what Neal was though!

Neal makes promoters pay for his wife, son and his son's wife to come out if you want him at a show.

So yes. John Adams is Neal Adams son.

Neal makes promoters pay for his wife, son and his son's wife to come out if you want him at a show.

I didn't see a wife unless he's married to a MUCH younger woman. There was a cute younger girl collecting money at the booth so I assume that was the sons wife. She was really nice and so was Neal. Neal was almost shockingly nice for someone as big as he is. I didn't have any interaction with the son as he was drawing something while I was at the booth.

I didn't see a wife unless he's married to a MUCH younger woman. There was a cute younger girl collecting money at the booth so I assume that was the sons wife. She was really nice and so was Neal. Neal was almost shockingly nice for someone as big as he is. I didn't have any interaction with the son as he was drawing something while I was at the booth.

He's married to Marilyn Adams.

She's usually at shows, about the same age as him. Cool lady and his manager.