• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic Book References In Movies

23 posts in this topic

From the Criticker website:

Movies containing comic books

A public collection moderated by Gregzilla

"Movies in which a comic book, real or made for the movie, can be clearly identified by title and/or cover or interior art can be clearly seen."

To:

Subject:

Movies containing comic books

I thought you might be interested in this collection of movies I found at Criticker -- a film recommendation engine and community.

The Adventures of Buckaroo … (1984) +

The Astral Factor (1976) +

Back to the Future (1985) +

Comic Book Confidential (1988) +

Desperately Seeking Susan (1985) +

Drugstore Cowboy (1989) +

Explorers (1985) +

Goldilocks and the Three Ba… (1963) +

A Good Time with a Bad Girl (1967) +

The Holy Mountain (1973) +

An Itch in Time (1943) +

Meatballs (1979) +

Million Dollar Baby (2004) +

Super 8 (2011) +

Tales from the Crypt Presen… (1995) +

Unbreakable (2000) +

Watchmen (2009) +

(I might add A Hard Day's Night also, as associational, one of the characters was reading a Mad paperback)

I forget the name of the movie,( but it was the prequel to Hunt For Red October starring Denzel)

Two sailors are fighting, Denzel breaks it up and asks what it was about, one of the sailors says they were fighting over who's version of Silver Surfer was better, Kirby's or Mobius's. Denzel laughs and says " everyone knows it was Kirby's, right?"

Also, Lennon reading Jimmy Olsen comics in Help!

Coyote Ugly features a copy of ASM 129.

Lost Boys

True Romance

And I'll need to find time to watch it again but I think there are some comic references in the Quentin Tarantino segment of "Four Rooms"

I'm 30 minutes into A PERFECT GETAWAY and then they start talking about a SA MARVEL collection. Completely unexpected. Then again, they wouldn't stop mentioning NICK CAGE leading up to it.

Any other surprising comic book moments in movies out there?

I saw that a few weeks ago, that scene was hilarious re: Namor lol

I cant remember which film it was but I am sure it was Richard Gere, he was reading a copy of Silver Surfer #1 and had it folded back on itself, it really pissed me off as it was my most sought title at the time and to see a copy mistreated really burned me up.

I cant remember which film it was but I am sure it was Richard Gere, he was reading a copy of Silver Surfer #1 and had it folded back on itself, it really pissed me off as it was my most sought title at the time and to see a copy mistreated really burned me up.

Breathless (thumbs u

I liked that one less for surfer and more for Valérie Kaprisky naked :luhv:

Not a movie, but episode 3x17 of LOST "Catch 22", a discussion about who would win in a race between Superman and the Flash features heavily in the episode.

Lost also features Hurley reading a Spanish version of Y The Last Man, and the little kid whose name I forget reading a comic with GL and the Flash fighting a monster Polar Bear.

I am such a nerd. :facepalm:

Not a movie, but episode 3x17 of LOST "Catch 22", a discussion about who would win in a race between Superman and the Flash features heavily in the episode.

Lost also features Hurley reading a Spanish version of Y The Last Man, and the little kid whose name I forget reading a comic with GL and the Flash fighting a monster Polar Bear.

Walt :)

The comic was Green Lantern/Flash: Faster Friends 1

Walt :)

The comic was Green Lantern/Flash: Faster Friends 1

And there was also Mystery Tales 40....

Not a movie... but loved the Simpsons episode where Mr Burns gives Homer the money to buy Amazing Spider-Man #1?

Homer then puts it through a shredder.

If memory serves lol ... was a while since I've seen it.

Not a movie... but loved the Simpsons episode where Mr Burns gives Homer the money to buy Amazing Spider-Man #1?

There was also the Simpsons episode where Homer goes to a garage sale and rifles through a box, calling everything he finds (including an Action 1) "junk".

There was also the Simpsons episode where Homer goes to a garage sale and rifles through a box, calling everything he finds (including an Action 1) "junk".

He was right :insane:

Also not a movie, but there was an episode of NCIS where McGee was reading an Iron Fist #14 (First Sabertooth) at his desk in the beginning of the episode and Tony makes fun of him and keeps trying to grab it from him. Kept cringing every time he made a grab for it and crinkling it!