• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man cartoon : The '67 Collection on DVD

33 posts in this topic

120x600_67classics.gif893applaud-thumb.gif Anyone getting this...I know I am...I remember watching these as a kid and I loved them! Amen for DVDs cloud9.gif

" Spider-Man: The '67 Collection

(DVD)

Here they are -- all 52 episodes of Spider-Man™'s original 1967 classic television series, now completely restored in full color and bursting with spectacular Spidey™ action! Experience every amazing moment of Spider-Man's first appearance on TV in the animated series that electrified Saturday morning audiences from 1967-1970. Featuring the Web-Slinger's greatest foes, including Dr. Octopus™, The Green Goblin™, Mysterio™, The Rhino™, Dr. Magneto™, and so many more. " popcorn.gif

Spider-Man, Spider-Man,...does whatever a spider can,...spins a web any size,..catches crooks just like flies,..watch out!,...here comes the Spider-Man.... grin.gif

I also have fond memories of this one-- my only real exposure to Marvel as a little kid. I recall the Spidey cartoon being pretty great when I saw it as a 6 or 7 year old (which would be a few years later than '67). Definitely have the theme song permanently planted in long-term memory!

But I've since read lots of commentary about the lame 1960s Marvel animation, where they simply photographed pages of the comics, with little if any motion involved (I think I remember someone saying Fantastic Four was done in this way).

Anyone remember this for certain: are these particular Spidey cartoons "full animation" (at least as compared to the other Saturday morning cartoons of the day?)

Looks cool, never seen a single episode though...were never aired over here...

And DVD will prolly be only available in the US and Region 1 exclusively 893frustrated.gif

I also have fond memories of this one-- my only real exposure to Marvel as a little kid. I recall the Spidey cartoon being pretty great when I saw it as a 6 or 7 year old (which would be a few years later than '67). Definitely have the theme song permanently planted in long-term memory!

But I've since read lots of commentary about the lame 1960s Marvel animation, where they simply photographed pages of the comics, with little if any motion involved (I think I remember someone saying Fantastic Four was done in this way).

Anyone remember this for certain: are these particular Spidey cartoons "full animation" (at least as compared to the other Saturday morning cartoons of the day?)

I just watched an episode "Spiderman: the origin" which I had downloaded from Kazaa gossip.gif..and while the animation is not great..it is there. It is not simply a photographed page with voice overs. It looks decent considering the time period. thumbsup2.gif

You're talking about the Marvel Superheroes cartoon featuring Sub-Mariner, Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man (maybe the Hulk as well?). The animation was nothing but cut-outs from the comics that were moved around. Very bad....even for limited animation. I can't watch 'em.....

Fantastic Four was a bit better. Think about those poorly animated Hanna Barbera/Filmation late-60s-early 70s cartoons (Scooby-Do excluded - they at least put a little effort in that one) such as Wacky Races, Josie, or Jawberwocky and it was about the same. The great thing about the FF were the stories were taken directly from the comics, such as #48-50.

Spider-Man was a step better than these in my opinion. While not Disney quality fluid, the limited animation wasn't so bad that it was noticable at the expense of story.

This will be a nice DVD set to own.....

Jim

Can you say 'multi-regional DVD player'? confused-smiley-013.gif

If I try hard enough.....:)

But I already own 4 players, and NOT looking for another one, besides they are illegal in Belgium; can't be sold and if customs detect one, you lose the player + get a fine. You can't even rent or buy any Region 1 DVDs over here... mad.gif

But I already own 4 players, and NOT looking for another one, besides they are illegal in Belgium; can't be sold and if customs detect one, you lose the player + get a fine. You can't even rent or buy any Region 1 DVDs over here... mad.gif

Just drive over the border and get one.....

Jim

FYI - They play Spidey cartoons on the ABC Family channel every weekend. Usuallu on Sat & Sun at 10am. I think this Sunday is "Spideyology" and they are showing HOURS of Spidey cartoons that range from the ones from the '67 series, the Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, the Spidey from the 90's and even the crappy Spider-Man Unlmited.

Thank you Tivo...

Spider-Man, Spider-Man,...does whatever a spider can,...spins a web any size,..catches crooks just like flies,..watch out!,...here comes the Spider-Man.... grin.gif

Catches thieves just like flies. smile.gif

You're talking about the Marvel Superheroes cartoon featuring Sub-Mariner, Thor, Captain America, and Iron Man (maybe the Hulk as well?). The animation was nothing but cut-outs from the comics that were moved around. Very bad....even for limited animation. I can't watch 'em.....

Fantastic Four was a bit better. Think about those poorly animated Hanna Barbera/Filmation late-60s-early 70s cartoons (Scooby-Do excluded - they at least put a little effort in that one) such as Wacky Races, Josie, or Jawberwocky and it was about the same. The great thing about the FF were the stories were taken directly from the comics, such as #48-50.

I agree, this set will definitely be nice to own. And it's about time they put them out! smile.gif I've got all the episodes of the old Marvel Superheroes cartoons featuring Iron Man, Captain America, and the Hulk, and BOY have we come a long with animation. Nice to have for nostalgia's sake, but MAN they're bad from a technical point of view.

I also have all the episodes of the Fantastic Four cartoon, and it was LIGHT years better than the other stuff. And I agree, the stories were fantastic (no pun intended, but if the shoe fits...). Great, great cartoon.

Yes, the late 60's Fantastic Four cartoons are great. I have even gotten my wife into them! When I first got a set on DVD, we'd watch an episode a night together. I love bonding with super-heroes... cloud9.gif

If you ever want a region 1 DVD just buy it and ship it to me. I'll copy it and make it region free then send you the original and the copy.

They still replay those Spidey toons late at night but I love them. Now I'll have that music in my head all day. They should use bits of the original song in the new movie, the crowd would go bananas.

I haven't seen the old FF cartoons in over 20 years, why is that? Something about they way they did those sound effects that were just so cool. It use to also run on the french channel (Canada) back in the day and I'll never forget how Johnny use to say "flame on", "Fleur de volante(sp?)". 893applaud-thumb.gif