• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does Dark Knight Rises vs Amazing Spider-man

134 posts in this topic

In all fairness over the years even the comic books themselves frequently re-tell origin stories. At the very least they have flashbacks of origin material much like the Captain America scenes in The Avengers.

I have absolutely zero problem with the retelling / recapping of origins. I go back to something Jim Shooter was known to say around the Marvel bullpen, " every issue is the first issue for someone".

(thumbs u

This is so important. Marvel CA books did this so well.

This is one of the reasons I found it so hard to bust into the DCU.

I think it's very important as well. I feel a lot of people have short memories and forget when superhero comics were not written for or pandering to the over 30 crowd and they counted on fresh batches of new readers every 3-5 years. Readers who didn't have the past several years worth of stories committed to memory. Readers who wouldn't moan and groan about seeing Kraven the Hunter fight Spider-Man for the umpteenth time.

And yes, it will not come close to touching the Avengers (thumbs u

Your right it won't..... it'll be better. :popcorn:

A) I meant in box office, it won't touch what the Avengers grossed

B) No, it won't in quality either. don't get me started on the "Batjet" or whatever the hell that's supposed to be. When we saw the trailer at ASM this weekend, even my 7 year old was like "huh?!? That's stupid!" lol

B) No, it won't in quality either. don't get me started on the "Batjet" or whatever the hell that's supposed to be. When we saw the trailer at ASM this weekend, even my 7 year old was like "huh?!? That's stupid!" lol

It won't beat the Avengers box office gross, the fact that it doesn't have the added $ benefit of 3D ticket prices means it will be pretty near impossible. I am sure if it clears the low 1B range WB will be more then happy with the results.

Quality for you I'm sure it won't, then again the Avengers and DKR are 2 very different types of movies. The Avengers a great summer popcorn flick that provides great entertainment, DKR a dark realistic crime movie with "superheroes" in it.

Listen I get the fanboy mentality and the DC vs Marvel thing but as a comic fan I am ecstatic every time a comic book movie is well produced. I also go to watch these movies expecting different things and if DKR is as good as people are saying right now I'm not sure how everyone here shouldn't be excited if it somehow gets an Oscar nomination for Best Picture (like the Dark Knight should have). The more success comic movies have and respect given towards the different kinds of films that can be made with comic book characters the better quality movies we'll have in the future.

It won't beat the Avengers box office gross, the fact that it doesn't have the added $ benefit of 3D ticket prices means it will pretty near impossible. I am sure if it clears the low 1B range WB will be more then happy with the results.

Quality for you I'm sure it won't, then again the Avengers and DKR are 2 very different types of movies. The Avengers a great summer popcorn flick that provides great entertainment, DKR a dark realistic crime movie with "superheroes" in it.

Listen I get the fanboy mentality and the DC vs Marvel thing but as a comic fan I am ecstatic every time a comic book movie is well produced. I also go to watch these movies expecting different things and if DKR is as good as people are saying right now I'm not sure how everyone here shouldn't be excited if it somehow gets an Oscar nomination for Best Picture (like the Dark Knight should have). The more success comic movies have and respect given towards the different kinds of films that can be made with comic book characters the better quality movies we'll have in the future.

While DKR won't have a 3D bump, it'll have a much higher IMAX bump since people will want to see the expanded IMAX footage.

It won't beat the Avengers box office gross, the fact that it doesn't have the added $ benefit of 3D ticket prices means it will pretty near impossible. I am sure if it clears the low 1B range WB will be more then happy with the results.

Best picture nomination? doh!

As much as I tried to avoid it, and had preconcieved notions about Slumdog Millionaire, by the time I finally sat down to watch it, it truly was an amazing movie and deserved the top honor.

The other films in that catagory that year were also excellent. I contend that the ONLY reason Ledger won and/or was even nominated was because of his death.

I take it you dont now much about Batman. The "batjet" debuted in Detective comics 31 i beleive. So its not something they just invented. I think it was called a bat plane and this is some variant of it, but it came out in 1939 so.....

I have never been more exited for a movie to come out in my life. I personally would think it would do much better than Avengers, but thats just my opinion. I obviously havent seen it, but I can already tell i feel it will be better than avengers lol

:baiting:

:whistle:

As much as I tried to avoid it, and had preconcieved notions about Slumdog Millionaire, by the time I finally sat down to watch it, it truly was an amazing movie and deserved the top honor.

The other films in that catagory that year were also excellent. I contend that the ONLY reason Ledger won and/or was even nominated was because of his death.

I get it, you think the film was overrated and so was Ledger's performance, no harm in that everyone deserves to have their own opinion. Doesn't change the fact they modified the amount of nominees for the Best Picture category because the Dark Knight wasn't included nor that most other people including movie critics disagreed with you about Ledger and the movie. If you really think all of that was solely because he died well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

I get it, you think the film was overrated and so was Ledger's performance, no harm in that everyone deserves to have their own opinion. Doesn't change the fact they modified the amount of nominees for the Best Picture category because the Dark Knight wasn't included nor that most other people including movie critics disagreed with you about Ledger and the movie. If you really think all of that was solely because he died well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

This new movie is only a few weeks away from release and everyone I know outside of the comic collecting "world" has no idea about anything about it or when it will be released.

If these movies are so "great" why aren't we seeing the mega-hype we saw with the last one? Oh, I know, because the studio can't parade around a corpse this time.

History will not be kind to these films.

This new movie is only a few weeks away from release and everyone I know outside of the comic collecting "world" has no idea about anything about it or when it will be released.

If these movies are so "great" why aren't we seeing the mega-hype we saw with the last one? Oh, I know, because the studio can't parade around a corpse this time.

4 years after the fact do you hear people saying Dark Knight or Iron Man wasn't the movie that people thought it was say like Avatar ? I sure haven't.

Not sure what you mean about mega hype, there seems to be enough going on right now. If you're talking about opening weekend box office numbers right now tracking for Dark Knight Rises is very similar to what the Avengers was 2 weeks before that one came out, the expectation right now is that it's pretty much guaranteed to finish higher then the Dark Knight did in it's opening weekend. If your friends don't know when it's coming out not sure what to say except they don't like comic movies, Nolan movies, or Batman.

4 years after the fact do you hear people saying Dark Knight or Iron Man wasn't the movie that people thought it was say like Avatar ? I sure haven't.

Not sure what you mean about mega hype, there seems to be enough going on right now. If you're talking about opening weekend box office numbers right now tracking for Dark Knight Rises is very similar to what the Avengers was 2 weeks before that one came out, the expectation right now is that it's pretty much guaranteed to finish higher then the Dark Knight did in it's opening weekend. If your friends don't know when it's coming out not sure what to say except they don't like comic movies, Nolan movies, or Batman.

It's not so much that people I know and work with don't like these types of movies, only that most of them would not be able to tell you when the new one is being released. You're twisting things around, either intentionally or not, I do not know.

And yes, there are plenty of people now stating that TDK was overrated.

If you truly do have the comic-blinders on about how much hype the last movie received over this one then I don't know what to say for you.

You do realize that TDK does not rank in the top ten of Worldwide gross don't you?

You do realize also that the -tacular Alice in Wonderland and Star Wars: The Phantom Menace both made more money then TDK?

How about this? Adjusted for inflation the domestic gross of Grease (among 27 other movies) is higher then TDK.

Everyone, even non-comic fans knows who The Joker is. No one other then comic fans knows who Bane is, and probably a large portion of those couldn't tell you anything about the character.

So, I will stand by my statement that had it of not been for Ledger's death, the last film would not have done nearly as well as it did. Anyone who doesn't believe that really shouldn't be talking about movies. Even if only 2 people in the entire world saw the movie because Heath killed himself then my statement is true.

I haven't even begun to get into the plot-holes and pretentious nature of the -script, and never have on here, because frankly, this is a comic forum and not a screenwriting one and opinions will be biased simply because it's a comic movie whether anyone likes to admit it or not.

lol... its just a movie? (shrug)

Exactly...the only thing I care about is if it's good and I enjoy it. The only reason I would care if it does well financially is so there can be justification to produce more of what I like. The way some people here get all into it you would think they have back end points or something :)

Exactly...the only thing I care about is if it's good and I enjoy it. The only reason I would care if it does well financially is so there can be justification to produce more of what I like. The way some people here get all into it you would think they have back end points or something :)

+1

I just fear that this next one may be drek simply because it might not have been made if it weren't due to the hype of the last one.

I like well written movies much moreso then any other type. If the movie is poorly written I have a hard time getting past anything else in it. This describes 95% of James Cameron's movies.

Likewise, if a movie is written wonderfully, I could care less about the scenery.