• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who are you hoping gets an upcoming Artist's Edition book from IDW?

61 posts in this topic

I'm a huge fan of these Artist's Edition books that IDW is producing. The Sergio Aragonés book ought to be out any minute, and I've seen announcements for

Joe Kubert's Tarzan of the Apes: Artist's Edition

Will Eisner's The Spirit: Artist's Edition

Jack Davis' EC Stories: Artist's Edition

This got me dreaming up who I would most like to see featured in an upcoming Artist's Edition book. Here's my list (keeping in mind that I have no idea if there is enough surviving artwork to produce a book for any of these guys):

Arthur Adams

Brian Bolland

Frank Frazetta

Mike Kaluta

George Perez

Mike Ploog

Steve Rude

P. Craig Russel

Jim Steranko

Mark Shultz

Alex Toth

Charles Vess

Al Williams

Barry Windsor-Smith

If there is enough response to this thread I'll take the XX most popular nominees and put them in an official poll which we can then all vote on (and sleep easy knowing that our votes will have no real consequence or effect on anything, just like a liberal vote in Oklahoma).

In no particular order, I would like to see...

Art Adams - Longshot

Barry Windsor-Smith - Weapon X

Frank Miller - Dark Knight Returns & Ronin

Mike Zeck - Punisher (Mini Series)

John Romita Jr. - Man Without Fear

Jim Starlin - Warlock (Bronze)

John Byrne - X-Men (Dark Pheonix Saga)

Sam Kieth - The Maxx

Jill Thompson - Sandman

Jack Kirby - Thor

Steve Ditko - Dr. Strange

Chris Bachalo - Early Vertigo Work

1. wrightson swamp thing

2. wrightson dc horror collection (hom, hos etc)

3. adams ras al ghul batman collection

4. softcover versions?..im sorry, i cant afford all these beauties right now.... :sorry:

For me:

Impossible:

Swan - Legion of Super-Heroes (yeah, I know, but I can dream)

Merely implausible

Wrightson - Swamp Thing

BWS - Red Nails

Adams - Ra's al Ghul

Austin/Rogers - Detective stories

Simonson - Manhunter

Kirby - New Gods or Thor (JIM)

There are probably more, but that's a nice list. :)

Realistically, we can only choose artists who have held on to most of their art.

I'd say Terry Austin has a lot of them so it would be a possibility.

Another would be Jerry Ordway.

As to what books or stories, not sure. Maybe you guys decide.

If it were possible, I'd like to see:

-Any Gaiman Sandman story arc

-Rogers Detective

-Romita Jr ASM 225 - 250

-Paul Smith Uncanny X-Men

-Romita Sr ASM volume 2

-Wally Wood Daredevil

-Gene Colan Daredevil

-Dave Cockrum Uncanny X-Men

-Kieth Pollard Thor

-Neal Adams X-Men

-John Buscema Thor

-John Buscema Avengers

-Frank Miller Daredevil

-Mike Kaluta The Shadow

-Dale Keown Hulk :)

A whole pile of those listed above plus:

-Todd McFarlane's Spawn #1-7

The first 7 issues completely done by Todd before he started getting guest writers, etc and they provide a good cut-off point at the end of #7.

-Erik Larsen's Savage Dragon #???

The early issues don't really have a good cut-off point, so maybe one of the later storylines like "Dragon War" or "Emperor Dragon".

Both of these guys have held onto their art, so either could be done quite easily.

Batman: Year One. I believe Mazzucchelli has held on to all the originals.

Totally agree on this. I can only imagine what the original art would look like. It should be the bomb!

A Sam Kieth Maxx Artist's Edition would be awesome. Did he hang onto all of his stuff, or is that just wishful thinking?

I would also drool all over a Mazzucchelli Batman Year One, although that one is probably a ways away as he just had a book come out.

Didn't Jeff Smith keep all of his Bone artwork? We could possibly see one of those in the future, although I'm not sure how much different his cartoony style would look from the b&w original prints.

The introduction to the Wally Wood book implies that somewhere there is a vault containing all the EC art, and the fact that there is a forthcoming Jack Davis book supports this. So maybe, just maybe we will get to see an Al Williams and/or Frazetta book in the future, although I don't know if either or them actually did enough work at EC to fill an entire collected volume.

BWS Red Nails would be great, as would be Storyteller: Young Gods. Art Adams would be great as well. I agree with Longshot but maybe the X-Babies stuff as well. P Craig Russell, maybe a collection of non-Opera stuff, e.g. Hothouse, Dr Strange, Elric. The Maxx would be awesome I think. Steranko. Alex Raymond strips, 2 per page.

Seth Fisher. Wednesday Comics. Frank Miller DKR, Elektra GN. Watchmen. Paul Smith, X-Men of course, but perhaps The Golden Age or even Leave it to Chance. Wrightson needs one, somehow someway. And not The Cult.

Yes, supposedly Kieth has all of the Maxx art besides the cover to Darker Image 1, but based on his blog, it's perfectly reasonable to assume some may be damaged. (I remember him tossing some moldy paintings in one entry, though they weren't Maxx related.) Obviously, I would love to see a Kieth book (or ten), I would also love to see Kaluta, Aparo, Toth, Cooke, and JH Williams III (though I'm not sure that his process would lend itself well to this).

[shameless plug alert] and if anyone here is looking for a sealed 1st printing Wally Wood... http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5841114#Post5841114 [/end shameless plug]

So who's coming to the AE panel tomorrow? Three announcements!

I'll be scouring the internet for those announcements. I'm hoping they announce more than the Spirit, Tarzan, and Johnny Craig books.

I thought about Darrow but it seems weird because the format is to show off the art as drawn, and Darrow draws on smaller slip and then assembles them for the printed page, right? The work certainly deserves it though.

Here's the poop:

EXCLUSIVE: IDW Publishing's Artist's Editions of Gil Kane's Spider-Man and Mark Schultz's 'Xenozoic Tales' [sDCC]

I've bought them all so far and anxiously await the Kubert Tarzan and Aragones Groo.

Now, I have to figure out how to buy a Harris, a Kane, and a Schultz.

I'm spending far more money with IDW than I ever expected. :)