• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Goodbye Mr. Goodbar

117 posts in this topic

Damn! I thought we were boyz.

I didn't go of my own free will. I had to go. I didn't pay for the tickets, although I did pay for the parking.

No. sir. No.

You take back that apology.

Bad Chris.

Own your love.

And you all thought my comment was the inappropriate one. :screwy:

I just went through your last half dozen posts. Nothing inappropriate I see. All perfectly reasonable.

That's because the posts were deleted along with Trippy after I called him out. It was me calling him out that several seemed to think was "inappropriate".

I can't help but not be compelled to say something about this situation.

I know there is no predictive approach to weed out this insanity, but perhaps its time for the boards to clamp down and institute some measures to ensure when more extreme activity occurs, the authorities have more to go by than just a faked identity.

I don't need to know what happened in every detail, but based on Roy's reaction, I'm pretty sure it involves being targeted. The worst part is that at the core of this community is discussion centered around the kinds of things we share in common.

When POS, commode scum, decide to target other members, and invade on that common thread that connects us all as members, it violates the entire community and not just that member being targeted.

More to the point, as a long-standing member here, I shouldn't have to worry that the information I've shared about myself will somehow be used against me by some unstable, lurking malcontent.

Unless the mods address this lunacy in a manner that sends a stern message of zero tolerance, and can assist in extreme situations by providing an accurate string of information on who these people are that frequent these message boards, I'm pretty much done here.

I brought this up months ago but the status quo reigns. Expect nothing to be done.

I am not sure that is fair. This community is no different than any other. If there is a mentally ill person in your neighborhood, or a criminal, all the mental health community or the police can do is respond to informational reports from the other community members. And based upon that information they can act.

As such, it behooves us to be proactive and alert the mods when people behave erratically, target other members, and consistently act like whack jobs.

The governance level of "care" here is shallow.

When Craig Newmark started hearing about all the fraud, scams and crime being perpetrated by malcontents using Craigslist, he immediately made changes to the way people could post ads.

Why? Primarily because he cared about his site, and what people were saying about it.

Now anyone who's ever sold a microwave, lamp, kitchen appliance, table, car or comic book on Craigslist knows the only way you can post something on the site is to authenticate via phone/text.

If new members can't take a minute to authenticate using a phone, and have their privacy wall too high for their eyes to see the reasons far outweigh their wallowing listlessness, then this place probably isn't for them.

Not to digress too much, but you give CraigsList way too much credit. Most of what they have done to "clean up" their marketplace has been in response to a machine gun pace of lawsuits filed against them over the years. The frivolous ones they fought and mostly won. The lawsuits with serious issues they mostly ducked by entering into consent agreements where they made improvements.

They and other recent internet phenoms (like eBay) have tried to maintain they are just a medium and not responsible for content. Over the course of years the courts have pushed back, ruling they are in fact responsible to at least some degree for the content they publish.

Things have gotten better - but not 'cause they are such great people...

I have never met Craig Newmark personally, but based on the conversations I've had with people that know him personally, he put in place the safeguards because he cared about what people where saying about the site.

The people running CGC might learn from the measures used on Craigslist, and own up to the fact that there is a negative trickle effect on their reputation when they overlook the need to be more vigilante in preventing banned boardies, shills and malcontents from gaining any access to this site.

I am publicly calling for Chrisco to get a strike for liking Coldplay and actually attending a concert of his own free will.

Make it come true, Arch. :wishluck:

Did he macrame himself a pair of jean shorts? hm

I just went through your last half dozen posts. Nothing inappropriate I see. All perfectly reasonable.

That's because the posts were deleted along with Trippy after I called him out. It was me calling him out that several seemed to think was "inappropriate".

And that is why self-moderation doesn't work. It's not only on these boards. The issue is that the really crafty shills and malcontents know how to gain kinship in a pinch, and start working the rifts, feuding, and insulate themselves working the whole "taking sides" and clashing views angles to help them fly under the radar of the mods.

And that is why self-moderation doesn't work. It's not only on these boards. The issue is that the really crafty shills and malcontents know how to gain kinship in a pinch, and start working the rifts, feuding, and insulate themselves working the whole "taking sides" and clashing views angles to help them fly under the radar of the mods.

Self-moderation has its place, Joesph. For example, I would make you a peer moderator in a heartbeat, if I had the power to do so.

Self-moderation could be a portion of the overall moderation picture.

For anyone interested, here's the video he sent me last night and then proceeded to tell me I could buy the guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgkFNR5pO2o

I can't embed because I'm on my iPad andi opens my app.

Judging from the stains that his right armpit and right moob have left on the top of the guitar....I detect some nude, seated guitar play :eek: (a lot of it) :eek::eek: . I would pass on that axe, and I shudder to think what the back of that guitar looks like. :sick:

As such, it behooves us to be proactive and alert the mods when people behave erratically, target other members, and consistently act like whack jobs.

Wow - to me, you've just described about 50% of the members here.

:popcorn:

Self-moderation has its place, Joesph. For example, I would make you a peer moderator in a heartbeat, if I had the power to do so.

Self-moderation could be a portion of the overall moderation picture.

Thanks. And I don't disagree with the premise as a whole, as it has its merits in certain situations. But some of the guys with a long list of shills and a history know how to incite in-fighting and put up smoke screens. I've seen it over and over again and its frustrating when you see them making a return under a different alias.

I want to turn into Transplant and feel the unbridled power of boundless rage.

You want me on that wall.

You need me on that wall.

We don't have the guts to be what we wanna be. We need people like you. We need people like you so we can point our *spoon* fingers and say, "There's the bad guy!".

:grin:

You know what I've always wondered... and fully believe is going on right now?

That guys like Trippy are probably so entrenched in the boards under two or three other board names originating from their mom's (or grandmom's) computer... that he's probably joining in on his own bashing right now and we don't even know it.

hm

I want to turn into Transplant and feel the unbridled power of boundless rage.

You want me on that wall.

You need me on that wall.

We don't have the guts to be what we wanna be. We need people like you. We need people like you so we can point our *spoon* fingers and say, "There's the bad guy!".

:grin:

:popcorn: