• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

See my custom CGC storage unit...

57 posts in this topic

Look at this rascal. A custom made 6-bin CGC storage unit. Each bin holds 25 CGC books comfortably. Made of white pine, very soft, light, and smells fresh. It's all one unit. The unit weighs about 25 pounds. My idea and a custom pine company made it. There's so many Bat issues in there, we named it the BAT BOX. :insane: See scans.

128200.jpg.156245fb05f2004b250629cb416a3519.jpg

128201.jpg.18b9df62db328912ce9384a6995b112d.jpg

128202.jpg.5f81e40b165125570a09873f2af8c326.jpg

128203.jpg.a5794d9c2ba0cd590945e1c84883b15e.jpg

128204.jpg.43dfa7f7cd3e5734f2623838b3f10054.jpg

I'm curious what your thinking was about the design...

1) It's low, and right now, it's sitting on the floor

2) The height is less than that of a slab so the slab sticks out

3) There doesn't seem to be a top cover

4) Your slabs aren't in resealable bags... :baiting:

5) It's not stackable due to #2 and there are no grooves to prevent slippage

6) It looks heavy so you wouldn't stack them anyway.

Is this designed for retail selling in a comic store?

I'm curious what your thinking was about the design...

1) It's low, and right now, it's sitting on the floor

2) The height is less than that of a slab so the slab sticks out

3) There doesn't seem to be a top cover

4) Your slabs aren't in resealable bags... :baiting:

5) It's not stackable due to #2 and there are no grooves to prevent slippage

6) It looks heavy so you wouldn't stack them anyway.

Is this designed for retail selling in a comic store?

1) It's easy access for me as it is beside my work desk in my office. I thought about elevating it. I may do that later.

2) Slabs stick out a little so I can grasp them for removal. Otherwise, get the needle nose pliers out as the books would be fully hidden inside the bins. It's tight side to side (each bin is 8.5 inches in width).

3) No top. I want to SEE what I spend my money on.

4) No bags here.

5) I don't plan on stacking them so no pre design for that option.

Collecting not selling. I don't see myself filling this up. Most of the books in there are high dollar so I designed it for my son and I. Nice books, nice case. My REAL books are in my safe.

Cost = $185 includes shipping. I don't sell them.

I love it. I seriously think there is a market for storage units like this.

Good job. Did you only order one ?

Special custom order, just one.

My specs.

That's not bad at all. I like the design. It can easily be changed to meet a number of parameters mentioned above if so desired. Thanks for posting.

You know what I like if you don't like bags. Mylites. They are really sharp and really fit the slab snugly.

That's not bad at all. I like the design. It can easily be changed to meet a number of parameters mentioned above if so desired. Thanks for posting.

You know what I like if you don't like bags. Mylites. They are really sharp and really fit the slab snugly.

I tried the mylites and there's too much reflection/glare for me. hm

Nice storage unit! Ever think of putting it on its side so its a cubby shelf rather than a box?

Coincidentally, it was a DVD storage cubby shelf on the guy's website (an upright shelf). I had him redesign it (bigger) on it's side and had him round the edges. (thumbs u

I like it...

I agree with a couple of points that sckao made though.

If I were to ever copy the design I think I would modify it slightly.

1 - I think it needs some type of cutaway in the sides or front to act as handles. Even if you were not going to stack it you might want to move it.

2 - The strength that the wood offers allows it to be stackable. This is something that the cardboard boxes really do not. I think I would put a few less slabs in there on my own version so that I could make it stackable.

3 - Overall I like the design. It looks like a strong design capable of taking and absorbing a few bumps.

Nice job

Looks pretty nice! This would be a reasonably simple DIY project for somebody if they wanted to make a few! I would definitely start making them and selling them for people, but I'm in Canada, so shipping them would cost more than the cost of the unit for most boar dies :(

On another note, if you seal it up with some silicone you could possibly have a little comic book arc in case of a flood! It might be a little too heavy, but that's nothing a little foam on the bottom couldn't fix ;)

Always plan for the worst and hope for the best ;)

That's awesome! I love it!

I keep mine in a regular old bookshelf so it's similar just doesn't look nearly that nice and neat. Are you going to flip it vertical though? That way you could stack at least one more on top.

Either way, love it man! (worship)