• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I think this SDCC announced product will tank...

44 posts in this topic

I just don't imagine there will be a demand for this product:

Trading card giant announced “Marvel Premier” is coming

at Comic-Con with a suggested retail price of $200 per pack!

Carlsbad, CA (July 13, 2012) – For years the Upper Deck Entertainment team has produced some of the most compelling and collectible Marvel trading cards in the industry. And now Upper Deck has decided to raise the bar in terms of what collectors can expect in a pack of Marvel trading cards announcing today at Comic-Con the company will release Marvel Premier on October 2, 2012. It will be the most premium comic trading card release of all-time with packs carrying a $200 suggested retail price tag.

So what comes in a $200 pack of Marvel trading cards? There are just four cards in each pack, but they all really pack a punch! First fans will receive a premium base card on thick card stock from the 50-card base set numbered to just 99 copies. Next they will receive a one-of-one sketch card from top Marvel artists. The third card is an industry first where collectors will find a dual, triple or quadruple hinged sketch card. These are really remarkable trading cards and we will be releasing images of them soon. The fourth card will be either a “Classic Corners” card, a Shadowbox card or an “Emotion” booklet card by Jason Adams and NAR!

“For years we’ve seen die-hard Marvel fans pay big bucks for some of the premium inserts in our Marvel trading card lines,” said Jason Brenner, Upper Deck’s Marvel brand manager. “This is our first opportunity to provide them with a set of Marvel cards that are all high-end insert quality. This is certainly not a product for everyone which is why we are not making very much of it, but the fans it is targeted for are going to love it!”

Upper Deck’s 2012 Marvel Premier really is about the artists and the company has employed some of the best for this project including Cruddie Torrain, Jason Adams and Nar! Additionally there are new innovations besides the hinged sketch cards with Upper Deck’s Shadowbox cards making their debut in the entertainment realm. The “Classic Corners” subset is another one that comic fans will be sure to love that pays homage to some of the greatest Marvel comic corners of all-time in a premium patch card.

So get ready Marvel fans. Upper Deck is about to change Marvel trading cards as you know them for the better!

people will sell those for ridiculous prices on eBay, $200 a pack is still alot to buy something that you cant see until its opened, how annoying would it be to get a Rob Liefeld sketch card of hand and feet?

people will sell those for ridiculous prices on eBay, $200 a pack is still alot to buy something that you cant see until its opened, how annoying would it be to get a Rob Liefeld sketch card of hand and feet?
lol

Upper Deck might have been wise to gauge and consult with alumni collectors of its sports card introductions in baseball, hockey and football.

Especially how these collectors might have felt when they were buying packs at from $2-$5 in hopes of assembling a set, only to have Upper Deck re-release complete sets a year later at a fraction of what it cost to buy packs or boxes to complete one.

They were nice looking cards, and I bought into the craze hook-line-and-sinker when the hockey sets came out. However, with this experience of mass producing "collectibles" as a reference, and having come full circle with my hobby interests in vintage comics and toys, I'm not even slightly interested in what this product appears to be offering.

I gave up on trading cards once they started to put thousands of specials and inserts in the sets.. The amount of money you had to trow at it to complete a set was getting redicilous. 200 per pack? Won't even look at them. I rather buy more books for that kind of money

What feet?

I would rather buy some boxes of the Marvel Silver Age cards. They had sketch cards from real legends in them. I pulled a Stan Lee and a Tom Palmer out of the same box. lol

It seems like the artists they are using aren't even regular Marvel artists, which in my mind seems ridiculous.

If there were redemptions for mint condition Golden Age or Silver Age keys randomly inserted into the packs, then I "might" be tempted to buy a pack, but even then, I would want well known artist sketch cards - not no namers.

Several artists from my site are working on these cards, so I am looking forward to seeing what they will do. But, when I heard $200/pack I think this will be a very tough sell. Unless people start posting, "I just pulled a Jim Lee card from my pack." to get some lotto mentality going.

One of the ironic aspects is getting current Marvel artists to do these. Those guys already have a monthly book(or more) to do. So, they have limited time. So, then the guys that do have time to take on this project are lesser known artists without a monthly gig.

$200 a pack? lol

I can't wait until they come out with the $500 a pack, limited edition Pogs.

Did I wake up in 1993? :whee:

$200 a pack? lol

Welcome back. Your nude variant Grimm Fairy Tale books are that way, sir. They're collectible because we only made 50 of them. Enjoy.

Hey c'mon guys... they're doing this for the fans!

The fans that are willing to fork over $200 a pack for them! Might be 3 fans

Forget about the fans for a second. What retailer is going to order a box of these?

AND... if there are only 99 of each base card that means that there are only 99 possible sets of these. You will never be able to complete a set by purchasing a box of cards.

Suppose each box contains even 10 packs. What, each box of cards costs $2,000? What LCS is going to throw that on the diamond order?

Suppose you are lucky enough never draw a duplicate and you attempt a set? You just spent $19,800. Me? I would rather buy a cover from an issue of Amazing Spider-man than try to put together a modern set of cards.

We talk about the music industry never getting it.

$200 a pack? lol

Welcome back. Your nude variant Grimm Fairy Tale books are that way, sir. They're collectible because we only made 50 of them. Enjoy.

I didn't buy any of them. :makepoint: