• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What the reasoning behind using GPA pricing on raw books?

136 posts in this topic

But a CGC book is what it is. It's already been graded... no upside potential for them.

Keep telling yourself that. lol

BTW, for those of you who have been posting less than two years that "good old days" post was meant in a light-hearted, joking manner. :grin:

2 years ago you didn't have my brilliant insights on all of these "repeated" topics

Ah, the good old days :cloud9:

Tell me about it! I not only have to type out my posts, but then I also proof-read them, meaning, unlike you, I have to read them twice! And frankly, I get on my nerves.

BTW-- you're lagging behind BlowUptheMoon by 2,251 posts. You need to get cracking (though your Fresh Post Quotient is 53% to his 51%, so you've got him there).

So why do some of you reference GPA pricing when discussing raw books?

Because some of us know as much about grading as the CGC.

That being the case, do you use GPA when buying as well as when selling?

Yes, sometimes. But not all times. Sometimes I just look at a book, negotiate a price (without using any source, GPA, Overstreet, etc) and buy it. Sometimes a book just looks fair for the price.

I never tire of this discussion. What difference does it make if you quote your Uncle Fred's opinion of value or GPA or OSPG? It's not misleading anyone, if the grading is in line with what CGC will assign or what Fred would grade it at. It's just another data point.

Like I said, if I think GPA is relevant to a raw book, I use it to set my price. I just don't quote it anymore all the time

(thumbs u

Fresh Post Quotient is 53%

:acclaim:

Fresh Post Quotient is 51%,

:sorry:

You know that both of our FPQ's just dropped a point.

So why do some of you reference GPA pricing when discussing raw books?

Because some of us know as much about grading as the CGC.

You may. You also may be a tighter, more consistent grader than the CGC. But that's besides the point. GPA is a body of data on sales of books that have been slabbed by the CGC. If your book hasn't been slabbed by the CGC, that data is not very relevant. The prices on GPA reflect the sequence of bidders or the one buyer's valuation of a specific book at a specific time that was given a specific grade by the CGC.

It is relevant data to me for a like graded copy (by me), of the exact same book

People pay CGC to get their books graded so that they can fetch the graded-by-CGC price. Using graded-by-CGC pricing without actually getting the book graded by the CGC ultimately amounts to taking a short cut to maximizing profit on a book by mitigating risk, and saving time and money on the grading process.

And that is a problem, why again? Should folks increase their overhead if they don't have to? Not a path to become a captain of inudstry by any means I'm familiar with.

Do any dealers who know "as much about grading as the CGC" ever downgrade the slabs they sell because they disagree with CGC? Do any sellers ever sell their CGC 9.6 at a 'Flutie's Comics NM 9.4 price' because they, Flutie, know just as much about grading as 'the CGC' and disagree with their grade?

If they know "as much" then that would imply their grade would be the same. Correct? So, why down grade? To spite their face?

And finally, if you know as much about grading as the CGC, why refer to graded books at all? Implicit in quoting GPA prices for raw books is deference to CGC's grading, or at the very least, an acknowledgment that CGC's services often legitimate the price of a book. So the only real reason to do it is to add that "legitimacy" to your book without actually paying for it.

Because, again, it is a relevant price data point from which to derive and asking price.

And that is a problem, why again? Should folks increase their overhead if they don't have to? Not a path to become a captain of inudstry by any means I'm familiar with.

Zing.

I dunno, it just annoys me. And my screen name is ironic at this point since I failed in my last business and am licking my wounds by hiding out in school.

If they know "as much" then that would imply their grade would be the same. Correct? So, why down grade? To spite their face?

There's a distinction between knowing as much as someone else about grading comics, and actually grading comics identically, all the time. It isn't a science, and two people aren't going to agree upon a grade on every book 100% of the time. CGC graders grade books differently all the time.

Zing.

I dunno, it just annoys me. And my screen name is ironic at this point since I failed in my last business and am licking my wounds by hiding out in school.

There's a distinction between knowing as much as someone else about grading comics, and actually grading comics identically, all the time. It isn't a science, and two people aren't going to agree upon a grade on every book 100% of the time. CGC graders grade books differently all the time.

Even more reason to collect as many data points as possible :)

No one will pay for your raw books near CGC prices anyway, even if you know what you are doing, unless you are a dealer like Harley Yee. You have to CGC your 9.4's and 9.6's and sell on comic link to get the GPA price if you want it. Otherwise you are arguing with boardies over grades etc and getting 30% off an already discounted grade.

Comicconnect seems to sell lots of stuff at GPA prices no?

Tag Line for me is going to be: "if I'm buying its a 8.0, if I'm selling its a 9.2" :) haha

No one will pay for your raw books near CGC prices anyway, even if you know what you are doing, unless you are a dealer like Harley Yee. You have to CGC your 9.4's and 9.6's and sell on comic link to get the GPA price if you want it. Otherwise you are arguing with boardies over grades etc and getting 30% off an already discounted grade.

Wrong.

I sell raw at top dollar regularly, even in the 9.4/9.6 range. There are other dealers that do the same regularly.

I think the pickle here is when data points are used out of context. I'm more adverse to people, either lazily or intentionally quoting GPA in a way that erroneously skews a comics value.

On the subject of whether GPA should be used for raw books, it isn't entirely fair to pin this problem solely on sellers. The reason I say this is because when a raw book is sold, the flipper is definitely using GPA to rationalize the purchase.

To call it foul play when a seller does it, and not when a buyer is looking to make a wage is a bit hypocritical. 2c