• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is IMAX worth the drive?

Is IMAX worth a 45 minute drive?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Is IMAX worth a 45 minute drive?

22 posts in this topic

There are some that think so...

Craig's List has people selling IMAX fix for $150 a pop this weekend.

There is no way in 7 hells in would pay that for it, but little drive isn't much of an investment.

(thumbs u

Depends on if it's real IMAX or licensed IMAX. If the theater is fairly new then its chances are it's not real IMAX. Just a slightly oversized screen and bigger speakers. Check the Wikipedia list for your theater if it says 15/70mm after the name its true IMAX. Most of which are not movie theaters but Solariums and Aquariums etc. If it says Duel Projection your also good.

Oh and TDKR only had 50 minutes of full IMAX filmed footage. So twice the price for less than half the movie??

I've been there once for Avatar in 3D. Ehh, it was kinda cool but I could have done without the 3D and I'm not a huge fan of CGI heavy movies anyway, especially ones with CG characters. I prefer the regular theater out here and don't go to the 3D screenings.

I think IMax is overrated. It's too much screen to look at and I always end up with an ache in my neck.

you must be missing the best seat in the house...

#1 go there early and get the most prized seat...

#2 get that seat (the one in the very back in the dead center)

I saw the DK this way and in the Bank robbing scene where there is a

shot of the tall buildings in the city I gripped the chair because I felt the theatre

getting ready to fall into the screen.

:cloud9:

Think a lot has to do with the theater and the movie you're watching; seems to be very different versions of IMAX theaters out there including "Lie-MAXs" which don't really meet up to the standards that IMAX theaters should have, regular IMAX theaters, and 70mm IMAX screens.

Personally if I ever have a choice I'm always going to an IMAX showing if possible, the experience overall is just that much better and you feel much more immersed in the film that you're watching.

Personally if I ever have a choice I'm always going to an IMAX showing if possible, the experience overall is just that much better and you feel much more immersed in the film that you're watching.

I would agree with this 100% as long as it's not 3D...

3D Blows Chunks!

I think IMax is overrated. It's too much screen to look at and I always end up with an ache in my neck.

you must be missing the best seat in the house...

#1 go there early and get the most prized seat...

#2 get that seat (the one in the very back in the dead center)

I saw the DK this way and in the Bank robbing scene where there is a

shot of the tall buildings in the city I gripped the chair because I felt the theatre

getting ready to fall into the screen.

:cloud9:

I'll have to give it another go with this in mind.

I hate IMAX... There's only one good seat in the theatre, and it's just sensory overload... Saw Dark Knight in IMAX, and enjoyed it a WHOLE lot more a few weeks later on a regular screen.

I personally am NOT a fan of IMAX.

IMAX biggest problem is that every seat is too close to the screen, and I like to sit pretty close (usually near the back of the the first third section of the seats). I don't want to have to constantly move my head to look left and right (and up and down) during a movie. It gets tiring. This is required in virtually every seat in an IMAX theater.

Here in Texas, Cinemark has its "XD" screen which is essentially the same size as IMAX and the sound system is actually much better imho (the rear sounds are more behind you than above you like in IMAX) with the new Dolby Atmos system.

The major difference is that the seats are in a less steep incline so that there is a much bigger "sweet spot" of seating locations. IMAX has almost none of these "sweet spot" seats.

Gotta agree xD > IMAX. Better seats and sound system too.

As far as DKR, like the previous Drak Knight, only a few scenes were shot in IMAX. You can tell when the screen goes from wide-screen to full screen.

Just make sure the theatre is IMAX and not just a zoomed/expanded projection.