• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about the book once it's in the slab

14 posts in this topic

I just received a slabbed comic through the mail that I'd won off of eBay. The book in hand has no damage what so ever and almost everything about the book is identical to the pictures shown online. The "almost" part being that, in the pics online, the book is perfectly centered, yet it isn't in the one I have in hand.

The question I have is: is it possible for a book to slide in the slab when it is being moved/shipped?

Yes, sometimes books move inside the slab. Sometimes they can even be damaged in the slab (know as 'shaken comic syndrome').

This is especially true of the old red labels! I have an old 9.6 that is at least a 9.4 now if not lower due to blunted corners and cover starting to come away from the top staple. This was less of a problem with the older blue (or other color) labels, and I have never had problems with the new labels given how the inner chamber is attached now.

Edit:

Actually I misspoke in the last sentence. I have an x-men 25 in the "thick" case that will move around slightly, but not in the regular style cases.

I just received a slabbed comic through the mail that I'd won off of eBay. The book in hand has no damage what so ever and almost everything about the book is identical to the pictures shown online. The "almost" part being that, in the pics online, the book is perfectly centered, yet it isn't in the one I have in hand.

The question I have is: is it possible for a book to slide in the slab when it is being moved/shipped?

No offense, but . . . this is about the dumbest question I've seen posted in a while . . . :grin:

No offense, but . . . this is about the dumbest question I've seen posted in a while . . . :grin:

No offense taken. I'm still pretty new to this and have only bought 3 books outside of the few I've submitted. I wasn't sure if they were completely stationary in the slabs or not. I just know when I saw that, I was a bit concerned that I'd either been ripped off or shipped the wrong book.

Thank you for the responses and answers, guys.

Yes, SCS(Shaken Comic Syndrome) unfortunately happens. This is why I prefer a book that has a wedge in the inner well to hold the book in place. CGC seems to be better at getting the book snug in the inner well nowadays but the old labels had a lot of SCS going on.

BTW, it was NOT a dumb question.

There are no dumb questions. Only dumb answers. :grin:

I wasn't sure if they were completely stationary in the slabs or not. I just know when I saw that, I was a bit concerned that I'd either been ripped off or shipped the wrong book.

If you are new to CGC and slabs it is a perfectly reasonable question. Why should you, being new to the slabs, know how the books are encased?

I learned about the slabs earlier than most people here as I met Steve Borock (former CGC Big Wig at the Boston Show (David Cummings' Primate Productions as I recall) while he was soliciting books form dealers for CGC to slab. This was before they went "live". We talked a fair bit aboiut CGC, the concept and comics in general.

Actually I have to respect your attention to detail in observing that the placement was different and that made you consider a different book than you bid on may have been shipped.

A tip - the numbers above the bar code is unique to the book. If you can read those numbers in the seller's photos, you can compare to the book you got.

Of course such things can be "photoshopped" but it is a good starting point.

As the others have said, it probably just shifted during shipping.

However, if you think you were sent a different book than the one you won, check the serial number in the auction photo versus the one on your book. If they do not match, I would complain to the seller.

There are some sellers that do not always use a photo of the actual book they are selling in their auction, especially if they have more than one copy of the same book.

Here is the item as I received it:

HarleyQuinn198F.jpg

Harley3.jpg

Here is how the pictures of the item looked online:

harley2.jpg

Harley-1.jpg

After reading everyone's comments, I have a feeling I just got unlucky during shipping. The serial number above the barcode was the first thing I checked when I got it out of the box and the slab is great shape. Overall, I'm not too upset with it as it's still a beautiful book and was a decent price too.

Thanks again for all the comments.

If you'll take the palm of your hand and lightly tap the right side of the slab it will slide back over to the center.

Go on. Try it.

If you'll take the palm of your hand and lightly tap the right side of the slab it will slide back over to the center.

Go on. Try it.

This is why I'm glad there is a community for this hobby. I'd never had thought to do that because I'd be too worried about cracking it. I did and it did the trick. It looks a lot better. Thank you!