• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scam or no scam

23 posts in this topic

Someone is "selling" a detective comics #27, cgc 9.0 restored (mp). on looking in the cgc census, there is only one in existence.

the seller only has feedback of 8, and was also "selling" an action comics #1 with a great looking cover

could this be real?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180931735696&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

she was also selling an 1800s century chinese silver bowl and a 1700s indian antique, which both also seem rife for fraud.

i asked her about both the action and detective, she told me first off that the action wasnt restored - even though the cover looked almost new (heres the link to that one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/180931725168?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) ended up selling for about 2500.

when i asked her about the detective comics, she said it was on hold for her at auction...but i figured if a detective #27 sold and it was a 9.0, even restored, it would have been in the news.

i want to believe these and get it for 50K, but it seems too good to be true.

yeah, i figured even if it was a restored cover, a coverless action would be worth it. but this has fraud written all over it, especially since shes "selling" the highest restored grade detective #27 in existence and she says she won it in an auction recently.

she also claims she wasnt able to put a reserve price on it.

story is full of holes....

Someone is "selling" a detective comics #27, cgc 9.0 restored (mp). on looking in the cgc census, there is only one in existence.

the seller only has feedback of 8, and was also "selling" an action comics #1 with a great looking cover

could this be real?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180931735696&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

If you feel the need to start a thread asking if it's for real or a scam, then it's a scam 2c

could this be real?

If you feel the need to start a thread asking if it's for real or a scam, then it's a scam 2c

^^

i asked her about both the action and detective, she told me first off that the action wasnt restored - even though the cover looked almost new (heres the link to that one - http://www.ebay.com/itm/180931725168?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649) ended up selling for about 2500.

Just for reference the cover is not original and is from one of the 10cent cover priced reprints. You can tell by the miss-colored running boards and the lack of rock debris between the hood of the car and edge of the book (the reprints and a slightly different wrap than the original so these were edited out).

Given the positioning of the art and cut of the cover this looks to be a Famous Firsts edition with the exterior cover removed. Someone is going to be very unhappy with their purchase.

Just for reference the cover is not original and is from one of the 10cent cover priced reprints. You can tell by the miss-colored running boards and the lack of rock debris between the hood of the car and edge of the book (the reprints and a slightly different wrap than the original so these were edited out).

Exactly! They didn't have glossy cover stock like that in 1938. Here's a helpful website when it comes to Action 1 reprints

no, ive been ripped off before hoping that i was catching something special...i know the signs.

i just WANTED to believe.

plus....she says the detective comics is on hold in her name somewhere.

when i asked her about it she said

"It was, but i think that ebay members will not pay to much for the comic, im really sorry."

"Someone is going to be very unhappy with their purchase."

The winner has feedback of 8 and the underbidder -- who bid several times -- has fb of 0.

hm

Just a spilling-out of how I feel, but why are the som many arsehole ripoff merchants in this world? Scum! I had some wanker win some very expensive Naim Hi-Fi from me years ago, claim it was damaged, refused to email me pics of the damage etc etc. Luckily, Paypal came down on my side (much to the buyers infuriation).