• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who can send me some samples of Mylite2 and half-backs ?

33 posts in this topic

Hi !

I'd like to start bagging and boarding my Golden Age books with Mylites2 and half-backs, so that the books are stored in the best way (in my opinion).

Unfortunately I live outside America and do not have an easy access to these bags and boards. Additionally, I never had one of these bags and boards in my hands, and I'm the guy who needs to grab it first, and then decide if it's the stuff I want or the size I want.

I asked Hotflips if they can send me some samples and got a very nice response that they only sell them 50 per pack.

So, who wants to help a fellow collector and send him some samples (one of each) of the following products:

Mylites2 - 775M2 - 7,75x10,5 (19,7x26,7) - silver/gold size

Mylites2 - 800M2 - 8x10,5 (20,3x26,7) - golden size

Mylites2 - 825M2 - 8,25x10,5 (21x26,7) - super golden size

750HB 7 1/2 x 10 1/2 (19,0x26,7) Silver/Golden Comics - fits 775

758HB 7 5/8 x 10 1/2 (19,4x26,7) Golden Age Comics - fits 800

778HB 7 7/8 x 10 1/2 (20.0x26,7) Super Golden Age Comics - fits 825

I’ll pay for these samples and also for shipping and additional costs.

Best regards,

archi

On my good SA books (those worth $50+) I use Mylite2 and fullbacks.

I recommend fullbacks.

If the books are worth using the best archival protection fullbacks are twice as strong as halfbacks.

In my experience these products are available outside of america.

ask your local comic book store and I'm sure they can help you with ordering Mylites.

I live in canada and know of several stores that supply them but that could be a north america thing.

Jimmy, thank you for posting, but that may really be only a north america thing.

I tried every store in my country, even those who import any stuff from the U. S., but none of them had Mylites. May be a licencing thing, I don't know.

Hi !

I'd like to start bagging and boarding my Golden Age books with Mylites2 and half-backs, so that the books are stored in the best way (in my opinion).

Unfortunately I live outside America and do not have an easy access to these bags and boards. Additionally, I never had one of these bags and boards in my hands, and I'm the guy who needs to grab it first, and then decide if it's the stuff I want or the size I want.

I asked Hotflips if they can send me some samples and got a very nice response that they only sell them 50 per pack.

So, who wants to help a fellow collector and send him some samples (one of each) of the following products:

Best regards,

archi

archi,

If you are serious, just call E. Gerber (Outside US: 1-410-944-4200) E. Gerber Mylar and order them all. I'm sure they ship to wherever you are. The M2's are excellent, but as others have said, go with the fullbacks (unless you are just reselling.). It won't be cheap, but it's cheaper than hotflips and better product than whats-his-name, bill cole. If you have a GA/SA collection you will use all of these sizes.

cheers,

david

Hi !

Best regards,

archi

archi,

If you are serious, just call E. Gerber (Outside US: 1-410-944-4200) E. Gerber Mylar and order them all. I'm sure they ship to wherever you are. The M2's are excellent, but as others have said, go with the fullbacks (unless you are just reselling.). It won't be cheap, but it's cheaper than hotflips and better product than whats-his-name, bill cole. If you have a GA/SA collection you will use all of these sizes.

cheers,

david

Yeah, you should do that. Because, for the uninformed, EGerber sends all international orders to us, because we dont mind going to the post office. But, you can try, thanks.

Jimmy, thank you for posting, but that may really be only a north america thing.

I tried every store in my country, even those who import any stuff from the U. S., but none of them had Mylites. May be a licencing thing, I don't know.

My local comic shop here in Australia has no trouble ordering mylites. If your local shop orders new comics through the US distribution system, they should be able to as well.

Divad, thank you very much for your answer.

Unfortunately, the first e-Mail I wrote was to Gerber and they told me strictly "We don't ship outside the U. S., please write to Hotflips".

And I don’t want to resell the books, I plan to keep them forever :)

Regarding your last sentence: I haven’t decided yet what to do with the silver age books. Most of them are already bagged and boarded (I bought a huge collection from the same guy, and he told me that he used expensive bags and boards), and they look different from the ones I bought from conventions or online. Maybe these are the M2’s – I will know when I have the samples in my hands.

Zarduzi, thank you for posting the link here.

I studied the work of mschmidt very thoroughly before I posted here, but I can’t see in these pictures how the bags look like. I just recognize the archives, these are the ones I hate absolutely. They cut the fingers when you try to take the books out (I’m the guy who reads the old books, although I have the reprints – don’t know why but to me it is more fun).

And regarding the size of the boards: The width of the old comic books changed very much over the time (the Detective Comics around #455 are the smallest silver agers I think). I measured my Golden Age Batmans and was surprised how they differed in size, so I need to take the board samples and hold them near the books to decide what to order for my collection.

And I still haven’t decided if I want to use boards that are a tiny bit wider than the books (looks better) or if I want to use boards which are much more wider so if they fall down and the edges are damaged, the book will remain unharmed.

@AJD: I asked all the bigger online stores or comic shops in my country if they could obtain my wishes – none of them could.

Unfortunately, the first e-Mail I wrote was to Gerber and they told me strictly "We don't ship outside the U. S., please write to Hotflips".

And I don’t want to resell the books, I plan to keep them forever :)

Regarding your last sentence: I haven’t decided yet what to do with the silver age books. Most of them are already bagged and boarded (I bought a huge collection from the same guy, and he told me that he used expensive bags and boards), and they look different from the ones I bought from conventions or online. Maybe these are the M2’s – I will know when I have the samples in my hands.

Zarduzi, thank you for posting the link here.

I studied the work of mschmidt very thoroughly before I posted here, but I can’t see in these pictures how the bags look like. I just recognize the archives, these are the ones I hate absolutely. They cut the fingers when you try to take the books out (I’m the guy who reads the old books, although I have the reprints – don’t know why but to me it is more fun).

And regarding the size of the boards: The width of the old comic books changed very much over the time (the Detective Comics around #455 are the smallest silver agers I think). I measured my Golden Age Batmans and was surprised how they differed in size, so I need to take the board samples and hold them near the books to decide what to order for my collection.

And I still haven’t decided if I want to use boards that are a tiny bit wider than the books (looks better) or if I want to use boards which are much more wider so if they fall down and the edges are damaged, the book will remain unharmed.

@AJD: I asked all the bigger online stores or comic shops in my country if they could obtain my wishes – none of them could.

E. Gerber products are available from Diamond. That is a fact.

If the comic shop in your area orders US comic books from Diamond (and let's face it, they probably do, because Diamond is the only game in town) there's absolutely NO REASON why they can't order mylars, mylites, m2s, half-backs, full backs or anything else available on Gerber's website.

It is quite possible that not all products will be readily available at any given time, but if the retailer orders them, they'll get there at some point in the near future. I'm in Greece and if I ask my LCS to order archival supplies for me, they do that through Diamond (actually Diamond UK) and I have them in my hands in a month or three, depending on current availability.

There is absolutely no excuse for any Diamond retailer to no do their job properly. Pressure them, if you must. :sumo:

All that said, I still order from Hotflips from time to time. Jeff and Charles are friendly, excellent professionals, the communication is great and I trust them completely. Price-wise it's more or less the same with what it costs from my LCS so when I want my supplies in a hurry, I trust the New York guys! (thumbs u

Sakaridis, that's a new information for me. I didn't know that these products are available through Diamond.

I checked the Previews catalogue after I read your posting but I couldn’t find them. Are they on a separate order sheet ?

Anyway, since I haven’t decided yet which size I want to buy or if the Mylite2 are the bags I want (read: have in mind), I don’t want to order a pack of 50 of each and then not use them. I know that postage will be huge, and maybe that’s the reason I get a “No” from every dealer I asked (also probably because I didn’t ask for a pack but rather a few samples).

Zarduzi, I wrote you a PM.

Sakaridis, that's a new information for me. I didn't know that these products are available through Diamond.

I checked the Previews catalogue after I read your posting but I couldn’t find them. Are they on a separate order sheet ?

Anyway, since I haven’t decided yet which size I want to buy or if the Mylite2 are the bags I want (read: have in mind), I don’t want to order a pack of 50 of each and then not use them. I know that postage will be huge, and maybe that’s the reason I get a “No” from every dealer I asked (also probably because I didn’t ask for a pack but rather a few samples).

Zarduzi, I wrote you a PM.

I'm pretty sure that the order forms that retailers have include them. Maybe some of the retailer boardies can confirm or give more info on that. But I do know with 100% certainty that they can be ordered through Diamond.

(In packs, though - not just a few samples. And yes, shipping will be expensive :sorry: )

As far as sizes go, you should DEFINITELY check out Michael's (mschmidt's) thread about mylar sizes (which someone else also mentioned before). It's an invaluable resource for anyone who is interested in making the switch to archival supplies. (thumbs u

This was your first mistake. Call them, they are quite accommodating. The boss replies to e-mails.

This is precisely why I stated that you will use all of the sizes you listed. Unless, of course you are so AR/OC that you need to have all of your books in the same size bag (yes, there are many here that appeals to :insane: )

btw, I think you are a tad "needy" - just do it! :makepoint:

I'm definitely "needy", I know.

I haven't thought yet about having all the books in the same sized bags. Since my order is alphabetical and not chronological, and the modern stuff won't get the "good" bags and boards, this is of no concern.

And I really can't bring myself to spend a hundred Dollars without knowing what I order. That's why I hope somebody will make the effort and send me some samples (I take all the costs).