• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Unprofessional Sales Practice at a Comic Con

60 posts in this topic

I can't wait for NYCC...

This place isn't San Diego. That wouldn't fly with me.

1 - Don't ask what the price is.

2 - Hand him all three books and a ten dollar bill

3 - If he does not take it then say fine, I will take the one marked for $3 only

4 - That does not work and he does not sell them to you... WALK AWAY and spend your money elsewhere.

5 - If you have the testicular fortitude to do so, loudly (but not yelling) proclaim what type of individual that person is and try to egg the guy on to go absolutely nuts.

I guess but why not just help him out and say sure you can use it quickly, but it would be nice if you could give me a bit of a deal on the books afterwards. I dont think it should've been an issue. Just my 2c(shrug)

:hi:

I don't think the dealer acted well and yes, he should have his own Overstreet but telling him he can't use yours escalates the situation and is a clear and unnecessary middle finger.

But isn't it just a return of the initial middle finger offered by the dealer? If they know their stock is incorrectly priced, why put it out to begin with? And if they know it's priced incorrectly and intend to mark it up, why not have their own OPG handy? It's just sloppy and poor salesmanship.

I agree it is sloppy but sometimes mess happens and you forget to reprice certain books because you've been busy or for whatever reason. I've been at shows and asked to borrow dealers ospg because I had forgotten mine at home and have usually had the dealer say sure no problem.

I just think it would be more positive for everyone if people were more willing to help each other out rather than always trying to get the easy deal to save a few bucks.

I was annoyed by Mile High Comics booth at San Diego. One was because they had signs that said "50% off Today Only" which actually worked on me thinking - better go through them today. Then of course the signs were up the entire convention. I thought it was really cool that they had grade stickers on them too...just wished I would of actually looked at the books to see if it they were even close to what the sticker said. Then to top it off they must of been priced when the market was stronger. Stupid me for not having my price guide with me because even with the 50% off I was still paying premium.

To sum up though, this is just my experience and I don't mean any disrespect to them. If I would of payed more attention to the actual condition and not the sticker and also checked the prices before buying I would of been playing it safe and only picked up a few books. As it was I was pumped to hit the con floor with all my cash screaming to be spent. Dropped about 200 bucks and will not buy from them again in any form.

What you're describing is standard practice for milehighcomics.com and not a convention special offer, unfortunately. (shrug)

I guess but why not just help him out and say sure you can use it quickly, but it would be nice if you could give me a bit of a deal on the books afterwards. I dont think it should've been an issue. Just my 2c(shrug)

I don't think the dealer acted well and yes, he should have his own Overstreet but telling him he can't use yours escalates the situation and is a clear and unnecessary middle finger.

But isn't it just a return of the initial middle finger offered by the dealer? If they know their stock is incorrectly priced, why put it out to begin with? And if they know it's priced incorrectly and intend to mark it up, why not have their own OPG handy? It's just sloppy and poor salesmanship.

+1

I have several dealers on my "do not buy from" list due to this practice - if a book has been priced, the prospective buyer should be safe to assume that that's what they'll be expected to pay.

I was set up a show recently and a guy fished out a very nice copy of New X-Men #128 from one of my $1 boxes - was I kicking myself because I'd forgotten to reprice this book, sure, but there was no way in hell I was going to tell him he couldn't buy the book for the listed price. He ended up spending another $100 at my booth and walked away happy about his "find".

I agree it is sloppy but sometimes mess happens and you forget to reprice certain books because you've been busy or for whatever reason. I've been at shows and asked to borrow dealers ospg because I had forgotten mine at home and have usually had the dealer say sure no problem.

I just think it would be more positive for everyone if people were more willing to help each other out rather than always trying to get the easy deal to save a few bucks.

Yeah, because a dealer bumping the price upwards on a book that he had priced too low is a clear sign of him trying to "help you out" :screwy:

Yeah, because a dealer bumping the price upwards on a book that he had priced too low is a clear sign of him trying to "help you out" :screwy:

I don't think the books were priced at all except for that one 3 dollar comic. So if there is no price on it, isn't it up to him to price it however he wants? (shrug) btw you miss quoted me. :foryou:

Happened to me too often.  I would've lost interest in the items and walked away.  Books you can get anywhere.

I can't wait for NYCC...

This place isn't San Diego. That wouldn't fly with me.

1 - Don't ask what the price is.

2 - Hand him all three books and a ten dollar bill

3 - If he does not take it then say fine, I will take the one marked for $3 only

4 - That does not work and he does not sell them to you... WALK AWAY and spend your money elsewhere.

5 - If you have the testicular fortitude to do so, loudly (but not yelling) proclaim what type of individual that person is and try to egg the guy on to go absolutely nuts.

I like this. (thumbs u

Some times people just say stupid things then refuse to back track leaving a bad impresion ? what the man should have done is just smile say sorry for stupid coment make a friend of you and share good storys as you spend all your money with him !

:)

Some times people just say stupid things then refuse to back track leaving a bad impresion ? what the man should have done is just smile say sorry for stupid coment make a friend of you and share good storys as you spend all your money with him !

:)

^^

I'm unclear as to why you refused to let him use your overstreet?

If that dealer was going to use Overstreet as a method of pricing, he should probably own one himself.

Maybe he forgot to bring it. Sounds like a big joke all the way around...

If dealer was going to sell it for $3 how ever many moons ago, and nobody bought it, why the big rush to increase prices now, because someone wants it?

I used to set up at baseball card shows. I had an 87 fleer baseball set that I had broken into teams sets. This was before Bonds got hot. The Pirates team set I priced at a couple of dollars. Nobody bought it for many shows. Some kid found it when it was going for $20 or more? He screamed giddily as he showed it to his bud. I was distraught, but no way in hell was I not going to honor the price.

Oh, I bought the whole 1987 Fleer baseball set and the update today, at a flea market in pages and a ,binder for $7 sans screaming giddily.

I was annoyed by Mile High Comics booth at San Diego. One was because they had signs that said "50% off Today Only" which actually worked on me thinking - better go through them today. Then of course the signs were up the entire convention. I thought it was really cool that they had grade stickers on them too...just wished I would of actually looked at the books to see if it they were even close to what the sticker said. Then to top it off they must of been priced when the market was stronger. Stupid me for not having my price guide with me because even with the 50% off I was still paying premium.

To sum up though, this is just my experience and I don't mean any disrespect to them. If I would of payed more attention to the actual condition and not the sticker and also checked the prices before buying I would of been playing it safe and only picked up a few books. As it was I was pumped to hit the con floor with all my cash screaming to be spent. Dropped about 200 bucks and will not buy from them again in any form.

Chuck uses his own guide that he made after smoking some of his, ahem, investments in "pots".

Chuck uses his own guide that he made after smoking some of his, ahem, investments in "pots".

Ahhh smoking the proverbial peruvian powder is he now?

If I read the situation correctly the dealer was gonna sell the priced book at sticker and was gonna look up the other two to see what they guide at. Yes, a dealer should have prices on his book but he's hardly alone in that. And yes a dealer should have a Overstreet handy, perhaps he forgot it or loaned it our.

And if the OP is reasonable on calling out the dealer's behavior as poor then it seems reasonable to suggest the OP's behavior was equally poor?