• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SA #205 TC SS Neal Adams: am i alone in being saddened by this?

44 posts in this topic

This was my beef.

Signing a pedigree book? You just don't do it!!! (tsk)

By doing it you are destroying the whole mystique and charisma of the pedigree designation in one fell swoop.

Why not get a bar of solid gold, and paint the word "Gold" on it.

Does that make it more desirable? :facepalm:

Well, ill say the same thing i said last time this came up that for some reason upset so many people ???

If someone like Fingh bought this book and SS'd it, i would have ZERO problem with it. I know he loves his books and if he wants a pedigree SS book for his collection, have at it. If you want a keeper SS Pedigree book, thats fine by me.

What i do have a problem with is someone defacing a Pedigree book SOLELY to try and squeeze a few extra dollars out of it. It's hard to tell from that horrid scan but it looks like the book was signed in April of this year and pretty much immediately put up for sale. The book was preserved for 45 years so i dont see any reason to put a sig on it SOLELY for the purpose of selling it (shrug)

It is very hard to argue with this logic.

I'm a logic machine baby!!! :acclaim:

I gotta say im a little perplexed by this book. Looking at gpa, it was bought for $1016 November 21, 2011. Then it is signed and resubbed. Now, i'm not a SS guy but i assume that had to cost like $100 or more no?

Now, its on Clink for $1100. once they take their 10%(if it sells for full price), the seller will get $990. Thats $26 less not counting what it cost to get SS'd. Doesnt seem like it was a very good idea to have it SS'd if you ask me. Especially considering a regular 9.2 goes for like $550 or half what this Pedigree sold for! What are the odds that the original underbidder who was willing to pay DOUBLE gpa for a Twin Cities copy now wants it as a SS book?

Not very good at all imo (shrug)

This was my beef.

By doing it you are destroying the whole mystique and charisma of the pedigree designation in one fell swoop.

Well, ill say the same thing i said last time this came up that for some reason upset so many people ???

If someone like Fingh bought this book and SS'd it, i would have ZERO problem with it. I know he loves his books and if he wants a pedigree SS book for his collection, have at it. If you want a keeper SS Pedigree book, thats fine by me.

What i do have a problem with is someone defacing a Pedigree book SOLELY to try and squeeze a few extra dollars out of it. It's hard to tell from that horrid scan but it looks like the book was signed in April of this year and pretty much immediately put up for sale. The book was preserved for 45 years so i dont see any reason to put a sig on it SOLELY for the purpose of selling it (shrug)

I'm a logic machine baby!!! :acclaim:

I gotta say im a little perplexed by this book. Looking at gpa, it was bought for $1016 November 21, 2011. Then it is signed and resubbed. Now, i'm not a SS guy but i assume that had to cost like $100 or more no?

Now, its on Clink for $1100. once they take their 10%(if it sells for full price), the seller will get $990. Thats $26 less not counting what it cost to get SS'd. Doesnt seem like it was a very good idea to have it SS'd if you ask me. Especially considering a regular 9.2 goes for like $550 or half what this Pedigree sold for! What are the odds that the original underbidder who was willing to pay DOUBLE gpa for a Twin Cities copy now wants it as a SS book?

Not very good at all imo (shrug)

Exactly right. Not to mention even hardcore SS guys won't want it because he didn't work on it. Complete head scratcher and, quite frankly, a shame. I am officially saddened.

Only thing I can think of is the buyer felt he over payed and wouldn't get his money back so figured if he throws a sig on it, it'll make it more valuable and he can get close to his original purchase price back (shrug)

This was my beef.

It really is...

And god knows I hate yellow labels. :whistle:

Only thing I can think of is the buyer felt he over payed and wouldn't get his money back so figured if he throws a sig on it, it'll make it more valuable and he can get close to his original purchase price back (shrug)

I guess it is too much to assume that he would maybe do some research and see that NA didn't work on SA 205 at all. :(

I guess it is too much to assume that he would maybe do some research and see that NA didn't work on SA 205 at all. :(

Yeah, that is a lot to ask! lol

I was thinking he was probably at a show and Neal Adams was there and he was like :idea: "DAMN!!! He's BIGTIME so let me just have him SS the book!". (shrug)

That's what is so crazy. Most of the times it is Stan Lee, and the theory is that he is Mr. Marvel so he can sign it all. I have seen some Al Feldstein sigs where he was the Editor. (I am pretty sure it is Feldstein, definitely EC books). Also, there are always mistakes. I have Jim Starlin on a MOKF that he didn't work on, but it was just a mistake by the witness.

This is more like the ones where Romita and Trimpe sign Wolverine books they didn't work on, with the theory being that they helped design/invent the character.

But this is worse than that even, because while Adams had a good Deadman run, he didn't create the character.

The sad thing is, the Twin Cities books are SOOOO nice!

I know a lot of the true Pedigree guys arent real happy with all the new Pedigrees like Savannah and Suscha news but pretty much EVERY single person who has bought a Twin Cities book has been VERY happy with how nice the books in that collection are. The collections story is a cool one(not that Gary died but that he had this amazing collection stashed away that really no one knew about) and the books are just out of this world for the most part. To slap a sig of a guy that didnt even work on the book for no reason whatsoever except to try and squeeze out a few more bucks from the books is sad.

Imo, it has just killed the value of the book most likely. The Twin Cities books have been getting pretty decent premiums. Hell, just look at this book in question going for nearly double gpa i can only assume because of the reputation the Twin Cities books have. He's asking $1100 for the book now on Clink. I would bet that a year from now, it will still be sitting there with a highest offer of like $700. Without the sig on it, i would also bet that this book would have sold for at least like $800+ sometime before the end of the year if not 15-20% more than that.

SSing that book (with Neal Adams no less) just made ZERO sense! ???

I have graduated from saddened to bordering upon despondent.

i am at anger. (is that closer to or further away from healing?) if you SS a ped, you should lose the ped designation (probably not but...). if you SS a ped by someone that didn't work on the book, you should receive two hard whacks from a hurley.

shock/denial...anger...depression...bargaining...ACCEPTANCE.

(Cliff's Notes - Kubler-Ross signature series edition)

I have graduated from saddened to bordering upon despondent.

i am at anger. (is that closer to or further away from healing?)

Here's a classic example of how "following the money" causes irreparable damage to historically designated books. I hope this doesn't start an epidemic with pedigree books.

i knew that was out there but couldn't find it when i started this thread. at least adams worked on the GL #76. Of course he probably didn't get paid $17k for his work but the seller's gotta eat. i wouldn't pay a nickel premium for a defaced pedigree but that's me.