• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Dark Knight Rises took in $160.8 Million over the weekend

31 posts in this topic

Some random thoughts:

1)Yes no 3-D hurt the revenues.

2)The horrific incident in Col, being so recent, might have put a damper on viewership.

I wonder if the numbers might show up better for the second weekend versus the usual drop off as the bad publicity dies down? As people hear about the film from those who saw it, will the numbers grow?

3)Is this a movie young children would be tempted to see? The Avengers, being the popcorn action film might have a somewhat wider appeal?

I can't answer these questions since I have yet to see the movie.

I think almost 3 hours running time is a factor as well. One of my friends thought about going then he realized he be getting out at 1 am,so the late time and recent tragedy turned him off.He said he will blu-ray it in the safety of his house. :o

Some random thoughts:

2)The horrific incident in Col, being so recent, might have put a damper on viewership.

I wonder if the numbers might show up better for the second weekend versus the usual drop off as the bad publicity dies down? As people hear about the film from those who saw it, will the numbers grow?

3)Is this a movie young children would be tempted to see? The Avengers, being the popcorn action film might have a somewhat wider appeal?

they might be tempted but they shouldn't be allowed. honestly, just saw this w/ my 14 year old; there was a 2 and 4 year old in the audience. the parents should be flogged.

lots of people wouldn't go first week because of the tragedy. 2 friends of mine were going to join me and my GF, and after that, they said they were gonna wait a week or so.

I think it is safe to say that a small but noticeable number of people will never go to see this movie in the theater after recent events. A few out of fear but likely more out of respect for those who died.

lots of people wouldn't go first week because of the tragedy. 2 friends of mine were going to join me and my GF, and after that, they said they were gonna wait a week or so.

I think it is safe to say that a small but noticeable number of people will never go to see this movie in the theater after recent events. A few out of fear but likely more out of respect for those who died.

i dont think boycotting this particular film is showing any respect? i think its mostly fear

absolutely. esp since dvd/blu ray doesn't take long anymore (i still can't get over the fact that it doesn't 2 years anymore...lol)

Some random thoughts:

they might be tempted but they shouldn't be allowed. honestly, just saw this w/ my 14 year old; there was a 2 and 4 year old in the audience. the parents should be flogged.

When I went to see Watchmen there was a family on the row in front of me with 8, 6, and 5 year old boys and a 3 year old girl.

It was very awkward for me but the parents didn't seem to bat an eye about anything the kids were watching.

That's just not how I was raised. It bothered me and I wasn't their parent.

Sadly it did.

But i think that once the initial shock and mourning passes, people will eventually go so it will hold stronger that it otherwise would have. I don't think it has any competition either over the coming weeks.

Spidey though, what a horrible drop :eek:

Almost 70% drop off :P

I think people weren't ready for a Spider-Man reboot.

Plus,The Dark Knight Rises was a better movie than ASM.

And you call youself Marvelfangirl. Pshhhhh :makepoint:

lol

I am a Marvel fan,but ASM didn't have that replay value like The Avengers did.

+1

The Avengers was a fun movie beginning to end. I've seen it three times. I'll go see it again when it hits the cheap (2nd run) theater

ASM. Lots has been said. The fans on the boards here seem pretty evenly divided. I'm an older collector and while I don't regret going to the theater to watch it, I was overall disatisfied with the movie and seeing it once was enough.

The Dark Knight Rises. A great movie. A much "deeper" movie than the Avengers. But it's no coke and popcorn movie, it's longer and again, once is enough.

No way DKR matches the Avengers numbers at the box office. Lack of 3D. It's longer. It's darker. But it will do very well, should generate bigger numbers than ASM.

The real suprise of the summer is Ted. $50 million to make, almost $180 million to date at the USA box office.