• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Where are we going with this...Superman storyline

27 posts in this topic

Is anyone else confused by the Superman storyline so far? I thought it would be a good read, you know with the cool Jim Lee art. I've never read anything from Brian Azzarello but what gives. I can't seem to following where this story is going. Does anyone have the cliff notes version I can borrow?

I love Azzarello's work, but I gave up on the Superman story after two issues. IMHO, Azzarello needs to stay away from superheros. His stuff works best when it covers gritty human characters. His Batman story was also ho-hum. 100 Bullets kicks major [!@#%^&^] and I recommend checking out the TPBs from the start of the series.

I think he's going for an allegory to the Iraq war, with the disappearance of Lois Lane and the rest subbing for 9/11, and with Supes himself as a stand-in for the US of A.

But Jeeze Louise, what a sloowww start...

Is anyone else confused by the Superman storyline so far?

I just read 204 - 206 earlier today. I have to admit, I really thought I missed a few issues in between these three. Count me in the "confused" column.

Since this isn't a title I collect (I occasionally read my girl-friend Ricki's books), I can't figure that anyone is going to care about it by the time issue 208 hits the stands.

So much for the hype! It really is beginning to look a lot like the 1990's all over again.

Larry

What is Equus? confused-smiley-013.gif It's all about Superman and his "confessions" to a priest with no faith and also the priest's heasrt-to-heart with Supes... al ot of 893blahblah.gifand very little action until this last issue...

It doesn't help that I don't know what they are talking about. I have no idea what happened with this "disappearance" nor do I know who Equus is. Can anyone explain what are the events that led up to this arc? I also found this latest issue somewhat lacking in regards to Jim Lee's artwork, definitely not his best.

What is Equus? confused-smiley-013.gif It's all about Superman and his "confessions" to a priest with no faith and also the priest's heasrt-to-heart with Supes... al ot of 893blahblah.gifand very little action until this last issue...

It doesn't help that I don't know what they are talking about. I have no idea what happened with this "disappearance" nor do I know who Equus is. Can anyone explain what are the events that led up to this arc? I also found this latest issue somewhat lacking in regards to Jim Lee's artwork, definitely not his best.

Actually, this is one of the things I like about the arc: We're all in the same boat here, no one knows what the disappearance is or who Equus is. The trick is, will the payoff to the mystery be worth the wait? So far, it's not looking particularly good. frown.gif

Does this tie into what is going on in the current Adventures of Superman storyline where Lois is sent to the front lines in the Middel East for war coverage, while Clark is back home demoted to reporting the Metropolis SCU (special ops team of cops assigned to super-crimes?) beat and Supes is getting hit on by the hottie of a leader?

Each of the Superman titles takes place in a different timeline.

At least one is very similar to the regular DCU (Action, I believe)- others like Azzarello/Lee's Superman are radically different. I remember reading that at some point they will converge.

Actually, this is one of the things I like about the arc: We're all in the same boat here, no one knows what the disappearance is or who Equus is. The trick is, will the payoff to the mystery be worth the wait? So far, it's not looking particularly good. frown.gif

confused.gifconfused.gif So the current storyline doesn't tie in with ANYTHING? Hmmm...okay.

Azz's superhero efforts have been... well, terrible. I would have loved to have seen Geoff Johns tackle one of the major front line characters like Superman to see what he would have done.

Johns on Superman would be really good.

I'm actually going to pick up GL to see his take on the character.

OK....I finally read #206. What's the problem? So far, I think the story is pretty good. Typical Azzarello pace (ie. slow). I agree that he is better on non super-heroes, but I don't see how anyone would drop it at this point. It's a 12-part story (I've heard). Still a long way to go.

And if none of the Superman contuinuity is tied together anyway, who cares what happens. Treat it like an Elseworlds. At least Superman has some depth.

As for this new character, my guess is you have to have someone/thing that can physically battle Superman. Obviously a human cannot. Hence the alien "bad guy".

Each of the Superman titles takes place in a different timeline.

At least one is very similar to the regular DCU (Action, I believe)- others like Azzarello/Lee's Superman are radically different. I remember reading that at some point they will converge.

Here's the answer from the DC website :

THAT'D BE SUPER, MAN

I don't know who to send this to but here goes. Will there be any coordination between the titles featuring Superman? I don't mean stories crossing over throughout all the titles but just an acknowledgement as to what's going on? For instance, Lois is not among the missing in ACTION (that we know of) or in AOS or in S/B but is in SUPERMAN. Has Clark been demoted in all of the comics?

Is this going to be like the old SUPERMAN and ACTION COMICS and WORLD'S FINEST COMICS of the '60s and '70s when what occurred in Superman was never acknowledged in the other books? The most prominent examples, in the '70s, were the destruction of Kryptonite and the introduction of the Fourth World in SUPERMAN (and JIMMY OLSEN) but not in ACTION or WORLD'S FINEST or LOIS LANE.

Months ago, it was suggested that there were going to be three separate and distinct story lines for a year, with distinct timelines and that this was going to culminate in something at the end of the year and that, perhaps, Batman would get suspicious and investigate. Is this true or was this just groundless rumor?

—Larry M.

Okay, Larry, we're going to try to not confuse you (or ourselves!) with this answer. The continuity in the current Azzarello/Lee Superman series takes place one year AFTER the other books. That being said, there is a fairly close coordination between ACTION COMICS and ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN. For instance, the turmoil over Clark Kent's job at the Daily Planet is shown in detail in ADVENTURES (with his interaction with the other reporters in the Shack) and influences his emotional state in ACTION (where he deals with Jack Ryder seemingly taking his place at the Planet).

— Eddie Berganza, Group Editor, SUPERMAN

i was told its kind of like a"resevoir dogs"type of story.the beggining of the story is taking place in the middle,and we are being brought up to speed till we know exactly whats going on,then the story will pick up after we are all on the same page.

still pretty dan slow IMO

Okay, Larry, we're going to try to not confuse you (or ourselves!) with this answer. The continuity in the current Azzarello/Lee Superman series takes place one year AFTER the other books. That being said, there is a fairly close coordination between ACTION COMICS and ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN. For instance, the turmoil over Clark Kent's job at the Daily Planet is shown in detail in ADVENTURES (with his interaction with the other reporters in the Shack) and influences his emotional state in ACTION (where he deals with Jack Ryder seemingly taking his place at the Planet).

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

Isn't that like putting out spoilers in the form of a comic book? This kinda reminds me of the movie "21 Grams" where everything just keeps going back and forth from the past and the present and confuses the krap out of me. 893frustrated.gif