• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most noob thing you've ever done!

111 posts in this topic

Copperheads. I like that. Fond memories of the great '80s - when artists were artists and artists were writers too. You left out Simonson's Thor

I also left out Stern/Romita ASM, DeFalco/Frenz ASM, Aztec Ace, Concrete, Camelot 3000, American Splendor, Morrison's Animal Man and Doom Patrol, early issues of Sandman When The Wind Blows, Delano's Hellblazer, Nexus, Moore's Superman stories, Days Of Future Past, Elektra Assassin, Luther Arkwright, Sienkiewicz New Mutants, early Eightball, Akira, Moebius' Incal, Byrne's Alpha Flight, Wolfman/Perez Titans, 4-5 Will Eisner graphic novels and lots of other stuff I'm forgetting right now... ;)

Couldn't let this go. The final issue of Sandman 'The Tempest' is one of my favourite ever comics.

I only mentioned the early Sandman issues because I was trying to limit my suggestions to the 80s. :gossip:

Neil Gaiman's The Sandman is definitely one truly amazing series from the first issue up to the very last one! (thumbs u

Copperheads. I like that. Fond memories of the great '80s - when artists were artists and artists were writers too. You left out Simonson's Thor

I also left out Stern/Romita ASM, DeFalco/Frenz ASM, Aztec Ace, Concrete, Camelot 3000, American Splendor, Morrison's Animal Man and Doom Patrol, early issues of Sandman When The Wind Blows, Delano's Hellblazer, Nexus, Moore's Superman stories, Days Of Future Past, Elektra Assassin, Luther Arkwright, Sienkiewicz New Mutants, early Eightball, Akira, Moebius' Incal, Byrne's Alpha Flight, Wolfman/Perez Titans, 4-5 Will Eisner graphic novels and lots of other stuff I'm forgetting right now... ;)

Couldn't let this go. The final issue of Sandman 'The Tempest' is one of my favourite ever comics.

I only mentioned the early Sandman issues because I was trying to limit my suggestions to the 80s. :gossip:

Neil Gaiman's The Sandman is definitely one truly amazing series from the first issue up to the very last one! (thumbs u

All good then. (thumbs u

In the 90s my brother got a decent copy of X-Men #1 by trading a couple of video games. My brother tried to take care of the book for a while, but my childish nature eventually led me to tear the book to shreds. I was only 6 when we got the book, so I have a small excuse.

If it helps, I just got another copy of X-Men #1 CGC 2.0 for $500 last year, so the mistake doesn't haunt me that much anymore.

Buying 4-5 Valiant Gold and 0 copies for like $100-150 a piece instead of some fairly HG ASM's between 8-20 that they had just gotten in back in the early 90's meh

Ouch!

Buying any new comics after 1980.

DUDE!!!

DKR / Swamp Thing / Watchmen / Miracle Man / Born Again / Ralph Snart / early TMNT / Year One / 'Mazing Man / Love & Rockets / Ronin / God Loves, Man Kills / Groo / Ambush Bug / Maus / Windsor-Smith on Machine Man ... :shrug:

16 titles out of 32 years isn't bad, is it?

Actually, I'd say it's really good, considering how lame most comics are. And of course, my list is my own, and I stopped reading comics in about '87. So it's really 7 or 8 years.

Waitaminit.

Speedy ?

(cough )

You write all the titles completely or abbreviate the ones like DKR and TMNT which is understandable but on Amazing man you skip the letter A ????

(shrug)

:roflmao:

I'll assume you're joking here, but for others who don't know: http://www.comics.org/series/name/%27Mazing/sort/alpha/

Buying 4-5 Valiant Gold and 0 copies for like $100-150 a piece instead of some fairly HG ASM's between 8-20 that they had just gotten in back in the early 90's meh

Ouch!

DUDE!!!

DKR / Swamp Thing / Watchmen / Miracle Man / Born Again / Ralph Snart / early TMNT / Year One / 'Mazing Man / Love & Rockets / Ronin / God Loves, Man Kills / Groo / Ambush Bug / Maus / Windsor-Smith on Machine Man ... :shrug:

Actually, I'd say it's really good, considering how lame most comics are. And of course, my list is my own, and I stopped reading comics in about '87. So it's really 7 or 8 years.

Waitaminit.

Speedy ?

(cough )

You write all the titles completely or abbreviate the ones like DKR and TMNT which is understandable but on Amazing man you skip the letter A ????

(shrug)

I'll assume you're joking here, but for others who don't know: http://www.comics.org/series/name/%27Mazing/sort/alpha/

:facepalm:

Sorry I got confused with Animal man.

You can all throw tomatoes at me like its La tomatina festival time. :grin:

+1

I never read sandman until a couple years ago. For some reason they always turned me off and i never picked them up without knowing anything about the story. Guess i was judging a book by it's cover. I bought a reprint of #1 for a buck and bought up all the TPs probably in the next week. Great great stuff.

In the 90s my brother got a decent copy of X-Men #1 by trading a couple of video games. My brother tried to take care of the book for a while, but my childish nature eventually led me to tear the book to shreds. I was only 6 when we got the book, so I have a small excuse.

If it helps, I just got another copy of X-Men #1 CGC 2.0 for $500 last year, so the mistake doesn't haunt me that much anymore.

Yeah, but have you given that 2.0 to your brother yet??? :baiting:

When I was 13 I went on a trip to the states for my birthday. With some of my birthday money I went to mile high comics and paid $150 for a copy of ASM 15 with three holes punched through it. In such rough shape that even sans the holes it would only grade a 4.0. But I was stoked with the purchase and it is only now looking back that I realize I got gouged. So I think for the memory it was worth it.

I went to look at a collection of comics. The man told me $3 a piece, I pulled out a nearly complete run of Nick Fury Strange Tales, several TTA, TOS. Also got some silver age X-Men.

What I left behind was almost 200 copies of Wings, Planet, Blackhawk, Strange Adventures and other books I was unfamiliar with.

All books were 3.5 - 6.0 in grade.

Oh yeah, I left about 200 - 300 10-12 cent DC superheroes.

I felt like a real tool after I got home and realized what I passed up because I did not understand the significance of the comics.

I went to look at a collection of comics. The man told me $3 a piece, I pulled out a nearly complete run of Nick Fury Strange Tales, several TTA, TOS. Also got some silver age X-Men.

What I left behind was almost 200 copies of Wings, Planet, Blackhawk, Strange Adventures and other books I was unfamiliar with.

All books were 3.5 - 6.0 in grade.

Oh yeah, I left about 200 - 300 10-12 cent DC superheroes.

I felt like a real tool after I got home and realized what I passed up because I did not understand the significance of the comics.

doh!

My first (and only) raw purchase on eBay was a "9.2" ASM 129 about 9 years ago. The auction had very high res scans and looked to be spot on with the 9.2. I paid $360 at the time for the book and received a completely different book than the scan. It wasn't even close...probably a 6.5 or 7.0. I learned a valuable lesson that day, and haven't bought a raw book since.

Ouch!

DUDE!!!

Waitaminit.

Speedy ?

(cough )

(shrug)

noob

In the mid 80's I was at a flea market in Indiana and a seller had a bunch of 70's DC bulk, all he had brought out at the time was #1 issues. I came home with a full long box of nothing but Shazam #1 and Kamandi #1, maybe 30 Kamandi and the rest Shazam. But I only bought a couple of the Swamp Thing #1's he had even though I loved Wrightson at the time, and he had stacks and stacks of them. Still makes me sick thinking about it.

Selling my Batman run of 300-451, Detective run covering the same time span, ASM 129, 134-135 (because I was tired of Batman and Punisher at the time), and Showcase 24 (I had GL's first appearance after all). To the LCS. In the early 90's. For store credit. To get early 90's new issues.

Not sure if it was n00b or just plain stupid. Banking on the second one there...

Had most of the best slabbing candidate books in the Sid's Luncheonette Collection sent off to CGC without getting them pressed... :cry:

The Pressing debates were starting to fire up big time about 8 years ago and it was mightily frowned upon. My how things have changed...

Ouch!

DUDE!!!

Waitaminit.

Speedy ?

(cough )

(shrug)

noob

So i guess i figured out the point of this thread ?

:eyeroll:

I like this thread. It makes me feel better reading that others have made mistakes in their collecting past.

My biggest mistake was selling Amazing Fantasy #15 CGC 2.5 for $1,900 back in 2005.

The other biggest regrets but not really "noob" worthy as this is all in hindsight:

1) Stopped collecting comic books in 1993 around the time the market burst from over speculation.

2) Never collected GA or SA books until I started in 2000 when CGC just came on board.

3) Buying Avengers #57 from Comic Keys (eBay seller) and finding out it was trimmed, colour touch.

4) Buying from 1,000,000 Comix in Toronto who are notorious for selling restored books from different consignors.

5) Letting my brother convince me not to buy an ASM #129 NM+ (raw) in 2000 at a convention for $325 and subsequently having him convince me not to buy a Daredevil #1 in 9.0 (raw) for $2,500 back in 2006 at two separate conventions from reputable dealers. Needless to say my brother stops giving me advice on not spending big bucks on comics as I have shown him his error in judgement.

If there is one thing I have learned from the early 1990’s to now when I first saw those expensive books on dealer walls at conventions is that quality is always better than quantity. Stop speculating on lots of books hoping it will become a speculative winner and focus on the blue chip books that have a chance.

Of course I am not only an investor in comics, but I am finding my tastes expanding to DC titles that are not as popular with mainstream like Adventure Comics, over some of the more known marvel titles/characters that are gaining strength in the mainstream. Having a combination of both DC and Marvel is a good thing. Now to figure out what to do with Golden Age as a new option. :ohnoez:

5) Letting my brother convince me not to buy an ASM #129 NM+ (raw) in 2000 at a convention for $325 and subsequently having him convince me not to buy a Daredevil #1 in 9.0 (raw) for $2,500 back in 2006 at two separate conventions from reputable dealers. Needless to say my brother stops giving me advice on not spending big bucks on comics as I have shown him his error in judgement.

sounds like you need to get a new brother... :grin:

Just moved across town last month and had staged my collection (12 long boxes of raw and 9 boxes of slabs) at my folks' house during the move. No movers were going to lay their hand on my comics :sumo:

In the midst of the move I fell and broke my left upper radial head and had my arm in a sling when the junk removal company I hired to clean out the old house came to do the job. I had ONE longbox with books I had yet to catalog left at the house. This box had mostly limited series and "B-List" character books.

With a fresh broken arm there was no way I was going to lift a packed-to-the-gills longbox, so when the junk removal guys were done dredging my crawlspace and unwanted furniture into their truck I asked a 20 year old kid if he was interested in taking the longbox. He was happy and excited to have all those books, all shiny and bagged and boarded.

What I didn't realize until about 10 minutes ago is that I had a complete run of Guardians of the Galaxy (2008) tucked into that box. :makepoint:

While I may (or may NOT) have missed out on a little windfall with the announcement of the movie, I'm happy that the kid I gave them to looked genuinely enthused to take ownership. I hope he enjoys reading them as much as I did (even if he makes a mint on those Guardian books).

I had lots of disposable cash when I first got back into collecting. With little knowledge of where to go to get the books I wanted. I had purchased a super awesome poster and when I noticed a DC logo at the bottom I was like "Whoa these are characters from a comic book I gotta buy some" So I find a few here and there but they were at the time "hot" so I find the #1 and spend like $90 on it.

I take it to work with me along with a few other books in the $5-20 range and some TPBs. I was the supervisor at my job.

I sat the bag of comics by my desk and an employee comes up and shoves three partially filled cups of old coffee into the dang bag. I rush to salvage the books and she says "Well at least it wasn't anything important" and then looked at me as if I were insane when I explain there was $200 + dollars worth in that bag.