• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

raw versus graded?

22 posts in this topic

is there any reason why a raw comic would be valued less than a graded in a price guide?

have seen several examples of this in comicpriceguide.com when i was looking at values for golden age superman comics (superman #5 and #6)

it shows graded valued higher than raw from 10-9.4, 9.2 and 9.0 equal for both,

then when you get to 8.5, graded is worth LESS than raw.

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/p-indiv.aspx?oiAipQqXBH84pKTUH5moY6XjhNwlTMo%2bcmP%2bRbP%2bYGGfhpclO8EY4blg%2b5cd2TWl5TUiLT%2bO63hVhlcNHEYNLw%3d%3d

a similar question was raised by someone on their forum, but with no answer

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/boards/174021/raw-vs.-graded-values?PageIndex=1

is this a real phenomenon, or just an error on that price guide?

any explanation would be appreciated.

It may be as simple as folks don't desire the book in question graded at 8.5. Market for CGC books are pretty fickle at some grade points, unless they are blockbuster keys that can justify it.

That being said...comicspriceguide..?!? I think we chuckle at that site from time to time.

is there any reason why a raw comic would be valued less than a graded in a price guide?

have seen several examples of this in comicpriceguide.com when i was looking at values for golden age superman comics (superman #5 and #6)

it shows graded valued higher than raw from 10-9.4, 9.2 and 9.0 equal for both,

then when you get to 8.5, graded is worth LESS than raw.

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/p-indiv.aspx?oiAipQqXBH84pKTUH5moY6XjhNwlTMo%2bcmP%2bRbP%2bYGGfhpclO8EY4blg%2b5cd2TWl5TUiLT%2bO63hVhlcNHEYNLw%3d%3d

a similar question was raised by someone on their forum, but with no answer

http://www.comicspriceguide.com/boards/174021/raw-vs.-graded-values?PageIndex=1

is this a real phenomenon, or just an error on that price guide?

any explanation would be appreciated.

There's your problem right there. :/

thanks for the info, can you recommend any other (free) online comic price guides.

could be a newbie mistake, but ive been using that price guide as the price point for my purchases.

ebay past sales, GPA (I think it's like $20 or something, and so worth it), OSPG, HA completed lots, sales and advice here on the boards ( :luhv: )...

As for your initial question:

There are a few reasons. The main one is that CGC has successfully turned their product into a commodity apart from the comic inside it, that commodity sells for a premium, and the price guide is acknowledging this fact.

Another reason thrown around is that with a CGC graded comic you take away the grade guessing game. This of course is only true if the first point is true, and you buy the notion that a CGC 8.5 is an 8.5 just because it says so on the case. Otherwise you as a buyer have all the same responsibilities to yourself to check out the comic and make sure you like what you're about to buy.

A third reason CGC comic bring a premium is the resto check. This is what the "guarantee" is all about, as far as the guarantee goes.

I have a question for you! Are you going to ask this same question in any more threads than the two you already have? Really kind of senseless to do brother. :taptaptap:

:idea: Now you can put this in the "whats the noobest thing you ever done" thread. (thumbs u

I have a question for you! Are you going to ask this same question in any more threads than the two you already have? Really kind of senseless to do brother. :taptaptap:

:idea: Now you can put this in the "whats the noobest thing you ever done" thread. (thumbs u

He's not your brother, friend! lol

He's not your brother, friend! lol

You my friend are my brother,comrade,compadre in our comic book love. :foryou:

thanks for the info, can you recommend any other (free) online comic price guides.

could be a newbie mistake, but ive been using that price guide as the price point for my purchases.

'Google' GP Analysis. This is the best resource overall; to find pricing information for graded (i.e. CGC) comic books. It costs about $10.95 a month or $119 (I think) a year. Well worth it!

Another resource for collectibles in general is 'worth point.' That can be of great assistance as well.

Kind Regards,

'mint'

A third reason CGC comic bring a premium is the resto check. This is what the "guarantee" is all about, as far as the guarantee goes.

Actually CGC doesn't guarantee their resto check or the grade. They do guarantee the book is genuine, not fake or replica, and guarantee a defect-free holder.

Just to clarify. :)

Actually CGC doesn't guarantee their resto check or the grade. They do guarantee the book is genuine, not fake or replica, and guarantee a defect-free holder.

Oops, shows what you get for listening to me! I thought part of the guarantee was that it had been checked for resto, and they hadn't found any. No?

Oops, shows what you get for listening to me! I thought part of the guarantee was that it had been checked for resto, and they hadn't found any. No?

With a name "Certified Guaranty Company" one would think. Right? :grin:

They guarantee a process takes place, just not the results. Here's the official wording: CLICK

"Due to the fragile nature of comic books, CGC does not offer a grading guarantee. However, CGC does offer the following guarantee: a) CGC guarantees that two or more comic professionals will review every comic book submitted for grading. b) CGC guarantees its holder to be free of defects. Defective holders will be replaced at no charge, except when it is determined (at CGC's sole discretion) that the holder was subjected to abuse, or if damage is the result of storage in a hazardous environment. c) CGC guarantees that all books it certifies are authentic, as described on the CGC grading label. "

How does one become a 'comic profesional'?

I heard it involves a hottie and a sword. But that could just be rumor. :insane:

knighted.jpg

He's getting a trim so she can get a press later.