• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

Take a moment and step away and relax. It's just a book.

And the book is quite good. Digging the schizo nature of the character.

Agreed, I know people's strong viewpoints have a lot to do with their possible financial investment in the title but this is getting somewhat silly.

Vote with your wallet. I was initially looking forward to collecting the run, but now will be picking the title up (digitally or otherwise) monthly and will enjoy it that way.

FINALLY - only took some of you a month.

Stop buying this dross - King Larry goes away.

You all ruined Bedlam - try not to screw up another - theres good chaps.

Like I said - image are furious - there are too many extra variants which has threatened to kill off their 'best 2013' book.

Congrats to those who lined Larrys pocket at the expense of a good book.

Wow how patronizing do you want to be :facepalm:

I don't know about us ruining Bedlam but you're ruining this thread with your constant bickering with Larry and simple rudeness towards other board members (shrug)

Seriously Andy, get a grip. Your posts are increasingly unstable, your personal attacks are rude and improper and your analysis is anything but rational. As others have suggested, go start another thread and cry and complain in it and leave this one alone. You are only harming dialogue and discouraging members from reading this tread so that they can avoid your nonsense.

You don't like variants...? Great. Don't buy them. End of story.

I agree 100%

I simply dont understand why people complain about variants.... See attached quote.

Personally I like variants as it makes the collecting aspect more fun for me and certainly doesnt take away from a good story. If I dont like something then I dont buy it. Seems pretty simple to me

I agree 100%

I simply dont understand why people complain about variants.... See attached quote.

Personally I like variants as it makes the collecting aspect more fun for me and certainly doesnt take away from a good story. If I dont like something then I dont buy it. Seems pretty simple to me

Nail on the head.

Oh - and lastly.

There is a bloody good sales thread being held for the family of a deceased boardie.

Just like the ASM 129 cancer appeal, the cinema massacre and this, there are never many names from this forum.

Instead of getting wanky with me,why not donate a book or two, to the family who are in need.

Especially the wealthy on here.

$20 makes a difference to a family with no father and negligable life insurance.

Just a thought Gentlemen.

Thats 1 raw revival/saga/chew...

Be a great gesture chaps....

I agree 100%

Nail on the head.

I'm not speaking for anyone in particular but from reading the threads in modern forum in general the impression I get is that people either:

a) Complain about many variants because they can dilute the perceived value of a book... maybe it's a speculation thing. Fair enough, but a large chunk of the market (market potential) is being reclaimed by retailers right now... and fair play to them because it's what they should be doing while it is so buoyant. Also it shouldn't really affect anything with a low print run or high enough interest. If I was speculating on something I would probably be worried about Retailer X putting half their stock of Cover A in the shop and the other half marked up on ebay from the get go.... not the variants.

b) It has reached saturation point in their collection / pull list and they are fed up with them. Why do they complain? They are just voicing an opinion which they are fully entitled to do. (Playing Devil's advocate) If you flip that then you could say "I have no idea why people are getting so excited about variants, they certainly don't add anything to the story. If they like them then they should just buy them. Seems pretty simple to me."

2c

sorry for the derail... your normal Bedlam service will be resumed in 2 days time :D

I don't think too many of the people here are planning on getting all the variants. There are three reasons I get a slabbed book.

1.) The book is a good read...DUH

2.) I like the cover

3.) Potential for value

If it doesn't have all three of those traits, I don't own it(save a few for sentimental value).

I only have 3 variants slabbed of issue 1. I like the Phantom cover but see no future value in it. Besides the standard issue, I think its going to be the most available.

To each their own

I agree 100%

Nail on the head.

I'm not speaking for anyone in particular but from reading the threads in modern forum in general the impression I get is that people either:

a) Complain about many variants because they can dilute the perceived value of a book... maybe it's a speculation thing. Fair enough, but a large chunk of the market (market potential) is being reclaimed by retailers right now... and fair play to them because it's what they should be doing while it is so buoyant. Also it shouldn't really affect anything with a low print run or high enough interest. If I was speculating on something I would probably be worried about Retailer X putting half their stock of Cover A in the shop and the other half marked up on ebay from the get go.... not the variants.

b) It has reached saturation point in their collection / pull list and they are fed up with them. Why do they complain? They are just voicing an opinion which they are fully entitled to do. (Playing Devil's advocate) If you flip that then you could say "I have no idea why people are getting so excited about variants, they certainly don't add anything to the story. If they like them then they should just buy them. Seems pretty simple to me."

2c

sorry for the derail... your normal Bedlam service will be resumed in 2 days time :D

The thing that always concerns me about the flood of variants is that it reminds me of the 90's bubble too much, though maybe with a slightly different twist. The comparison from both eras, as it seems to me, is that there is a ton of hype/money on the books coming out now (or about to come out) that quickly dissipates and the once hot book becomes forgotten very quickly. I see this happening with a ton of variants. To me, it seems as though publishers (and/or other independant variant creators) see the present as their opportunity to make money with little/no emphasis on the future (after all, they can only focus on driving sales today, not next month or next year). This can drive the cash grab of producing a million variants for a book that has barely had its first issue. How many folks buying up these variants now will care nearly as much in 6 months? There already seems to be variant fatigue hitting on a few titles (WD #100 or Bedlam, to name a couple), and to me this seems like the shark being jumped. That may just be me. Once the music stops, it can get ugly fast (see the aforementioned 90s).

The fact that this thread got to like 160 pages before the first issue even came out seems like nearly absurd hype to me, especially when seemingly the majority of the thread was about how many copies folks were buying to lay up and how many of each type of variant they were pursuing. This also smacks of the 90's bubble.

I am intrigued by the story, and I only need one copy of the regular cover to read that. If you are getting tired of the variants you might ask yourself why you are collecting in the first place. If you just want to read the story and enjoy it, there is a very easy and inexpensive way to do that. Not trying to tell anyone how to collect, but rule #1 of a hobby should be enjoying what you are doing whatever that may be.

^^

Ain't just me folks.

And I was serious about the charity thread.

Really, please, some of you,help out a boardie family in need.

Andy, the film reference is 'Get Carter' and mate if you don't calm it down a bit I can see you going for a stroll on the beach, with the mods. An opinion is one thing, outright venom and personal attacks - no need...

(gap left for you to insert some form of bilious reference to me)

Andy, the film reference is 'Get Carter' and mate if you don't calm it down a bit I can see you going for a stroll on the beach, with the mods. An opinion is one thing, outright venom and personal attacks - no need...

(gap left for you to insert some form of bilious reference to me)

QFT.

Hard to take your opinions seriously when couched in so much venom and hate. You just come off as a sad, angry little troll.

Gosh people complain on here a lot. Variants are good for the hobby as they allow other artists to make their worthy contributions. Also, variants are there simply to be an alternate to the normal cover, so if they are too much; then just keep on walking by them.

A thread devoted to the bashing of variants, wow! Plus 60.00 for a variant is cheap as I have paid about 125 for a variant before, but that was out of me wanting it.

People like something; they pay for it, easy to understand.

G