• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

This series never really grabbed my interest. I ended up giving a copy away as a secret santa gift along with 9 other comics and this is the one sereis (as well as 'Lookouts') that my recipient said he really liked and would like to keep reading.

The comic is great - will it make any of us SA key profits?

At the moment - its 50/50

Issue #3 swung it for me - brilliance in a graphic novel.

As I said before - if the creators stop screwing up and get it out as advertised then people can 'grow into' the story.

Because the story,with Bedlam is what it is all about.

As for store variants - where Eric Stephenson comes on here and basically says - "we won't be doing the phantom stuff again" - read between the lines guys - its there for all to see - then Image realise that it was a bad call to leave the future of a terrific story in the hands of Loose-Lipped Larry.

And they regret it.

Image will be doing all they can to ensure that Bedlam runs like clockwork from now on.

And,as long as the story carries on like it has,this will be the biggest selling comic in 2013.

But - what or who is the first??

Anyone got a clue?

An abundance of variants doesn't seem to be healthy for books. One or two variants can be great but no more (look at ToT or Saga). When there are 4 or more covers to a #1 its a turn off for me to collect them.

Andy, I think it's too much of a coincidence in the use of the title Bedlam and the character, the First, as I'm sure you're aware bedlam was a popular name for 'the first' mental asylum - St. Mary's of Bethlehem in London.

With Nick Spencer being British he could be aware of this or researched it, so as you speculated before I think 'the First' was the first patient/serial killer to be treated by the doctor.. There is always a chance that he could be related to Filmore or Filmore could have been a disciple or acolyte of 'the First' before his conversion - thoughts?

As I said before - if the creators stop screwing up and get it out as advertised then people can 'grow into' the story.

As for store variants - where Eric Stephenson comes on here and basically says - "we won't be doing the phantom stuff again" - read between the lines guys - its there for all to see - then Image realise that it was a bad call to leave the future of a terrific story in the hands of Loose-Lipped Larry.

And they regret it.

Image will be doing all they can to ensure that Bedlam runs like clockwork from now on.

And,as long as the story carries on like it has,this will be the biggest selling comic in 2013.

Anyone got a clue?

Serious question: how did Image leave the future of the story with Larry? I might have missed it somewhere as I'm not a close follower of Bedlam.

On release dates - don't forget that Planetary took 11 years to release 27 issues and it's still a fantastic read. Not great for the people who are trying to follow it in monthly form and/or speculate on early issues - but long release dates won't necessarily detract from the longevity of the title.

Some stuff is just better read in trade anyway, even if it is released on time - Morning Glories, Manhattan Projects, Walking Dead (if we're talking Image titles). At the moment, the only three titles I'm reading where I feel I've got my money's worth from just reading one book a month are Batman, Batman Inc. and Saga.

Andy, I think it's too much of a coincidence in the use of the title Bedlam and the character, the First, as I'm sure you're aware bedlam was a popular name for 'the first' mental asylum - St. Mary's of Bethlehem in London.

With Nick Spencer being British he could be aware of this or researched it, so as you speculated before I think 'the First' was the first patient/serial killer to be treated by the doctor.. There is always a chance that he could be related to Filmore or Filmore could have been a disciple or acolyte of 'the First' before his conversion - thoughts?

I think thats a superb hypothesis tbh.

Bethlem and Maudsley I believe it became later in life - yes?

And no, despite having a very good friend who worked in seclusion there - no, that just flew past me!

Then again most stuff does lol

I hope you are right - as that brings the mad/bad debate firmly into focus,as suggested by the comics byline.

By Jove Sir,I think you've cracked it! (thumbs u

And they regret it.

Anyone got a clue?

Serious question: how did Image leave the future of the story with Larry? I might have missed it somewhere as I'm not a close follower of Bedlam.

On release dates - don't forget that Planetary took 11 years to release 27 issues and it's still a fantastic read. Not great for the people who are trying to follow it in monthly form and/or speculate on early issues - but long release dates won't necessarily detract from the longevity of the title.

Some stuff is just better read in trade anyway, even if it is released on time - Morning Glories, Manhattan Projects, Walking Dead (if we're talking Image titles). At the moment, the only three titles I'm reading where I feel I've got my money's worth from just reading one book a month are Batman, Batman Inc. and Saga.

Adam, Eric Stephenson was on here earlier, and when questioned about the Phantom "deal", said the following.

I'm paraphrasing of course.

1) All the Phantom Bedlam work was approved by Image.

2) Yes the group was formed as a result of being rejected by Images first LCS group - The Ghost guys.

3) Eric clearly stated that the issue of variants by LCS groups was not in the long term benefit of Image or their product, and as such would not be encouraged in the future.

The future sales being directly influenced by the number of variants on the market - for example #1 - #6 phantom issues - but as Image could not cancel the existing contract - then it is the LCS (Larry) responsiblility to be sensible with print numbers.

4) Eric also 'alluded' - (and yes,I could be biased in this Adam), that the LCS products had damaged their brand,as Eric referred to the NYCC variant by name as being "helpfull" - suggesting that the others were not.

Regarless - Eric Stephenson made it 100% clear that this variant saturation will end as of now.

I hope its the real head of Image - but who knows.

I guess it could be anyone - but he did give away some pretty cool expensive Image exclusive stuff!

See, you were right.

We can converse politely. (thumbs u

And they regret it.

Anyone got a clue?

Adam, Eric Stephenson was on here earlier, and when questioned about the Phantom "deal", said the following.

2) Yes the group was formed as a result of being rejected by Images first LCS group - The Ghost guys.

3) Eric clearly stated that the issue of variants by LCS groups was not in the long term benefit of Image or their product, and as such would not be encouraged in the future.

The future sales being directly influenced by the number of variants on the market - for example #1 - #6 phantom issues - but as Image could not cancel the existing contract - then it is the LCS (Larry) responsiblility to be sensible with print numbers.

4) Eric also 'alluded' - (and yes,I could be biased in this Adam), that the LCS products had damaged their brand,as Eric referred to the NYCC variant by name as being "helpfull" - suggesting that the others were not.

Regarless - Eric Stephenson made it 100% clear that this variant saturation will end as of now.

I guess it could be anyone - but he did give away some pretty cool expensive Image exclusive stuff!

See, you were right.

I think "rejected" is a rather harsh term. The Ghost Variant group was set up by a specific group of guys who wanted to do something together.

The other variants are all authorized. They all went through this office. I think some of the retailers not invited to participate in the Ghost Variant group were a little miffed and just figured, we'll do our own exclusives. If they feel there's a market for it on their ends and the individual creators want to participate, I don't have have a problem with it. I'm all for whatever helps individual stores grow their business.

Do I think that sort of things is sustainable over the long term? Well, no, and I would hope they realize that, too. End of the day, you want people to read and enjoy these things, not just hunt and collect them.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

You can take from it what you will. Without bias.

And they regret it.

Anyone got a clue?

See, you were right.

I think "rejected" is a rather harsh term. The Ghost Variant group was set up by a specific group of guys who wanted to do something together.

The other variants are all authorized. They all went through this office. I think some of the retailers not invited to participate in the Ghost Variant group were a little miffed and just figured, we'll do our own exclusives. If they feel there's a market for it on their ends and the individual creators want to participate, I don't have have a problem with it. I'm all for whatever helps individual stores grow their business.

Do I think that sort of things is sustainable over the long term? Well, no, and I would hope they realize that, too. End of the day, you want people to read and enjoy these things, not just hunt and collect them.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Where was this posted? In here?

And they regret it.

Anyone got a clue?

See, you were right.

-e.s.

Eric Stephenson

Publisher

Image Comics, Inc.

www.imagecomics.com

Where was this posted? In here?

Would you like a link?