• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

After that long story being not so short, I have to ask Nick if there's any movie talk about Bedlam yet? That seems to be the "money question" on here for everything. If so it would have to be rated NC-17 / R to get the full effect Madder Red.

Not to pile on, as I quite enjoyed your post, but to tease this thought out a bit more: I have a hard time imagining what we've seen of Bedlam so far working as a movie. (Though in fairness, we're only three issues in, so maybe the top-level view of the storyline will look different in six or nine months.)

Taken together, I could see the Fillmore Press segments working well as kind of a psychological thriller... think maybe a young Christopher Walken or Johnny Depp type actor in the role. But that said, the Madder Red segments are SO over-the-top violent and disturbing, that even if the most violent parts (kids, cats...) were toned down or omitted entirely, IMO the character would still be far too extreme and dark as the star of a movie. It would be a very fine line to capture the extreme, "anything goes" tone of the book in a film... without making that film very hard to watch.