• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bedlam
1 1

4,716 posts in this topic

There has not been an issue written of the story that i have not enjoyed. i will continue to read the book, and would have done so even if he hadnt changed artists, that only helped imo.

i just wish this book would get the love from him that MG gets.

I saw his tweet, and you'd think he'd have several issues written already (seeing how effin late previous ones were), I don't see what kind of "delay" there is aside from one of two things, neither of which are good:

A) He has no idea in which direction he wants to take Bedlam / Madder Red

B) He's toning it down and changing stuff around

Only speculation on my part

Or he just has a lot of other projects on the go. He does have more than just Bedlam out each month, you know.

With regards to the new artist...

When I was reading the issue, I thought "Hey, the issue is in color!"

I went back and looked at past issues and realized doh! they're all in "color". But the older issues were very gray toned with bright reds as the only color standing out. The newer issue is very colorful and completely saturated by color. I guess that's one aspect I liked about the previous issues. It seemed gloomier and more of a sense of dread and darkness where as the new one seemed to have lost some of that. (shrug)

And I hope to God Spencer is not at a loss of where to go with the character. I think Bedlam has real potential here to last a long long time! :headbang:

I saw his tweet, and you'd think he'd have several issues written already (seeing how effin late previous ones were), I don't see what kind of "delay" there is aside from one of two things, neither of which are good:

This book debuted on Oct. 31st (so basically, November). By end of this month, we'll have shipped 8 issues. That's 8 issues in 9 months we've managed to get out, even with an art team transition and very full schedules elsewhere all around.

We have not been smart in terms of our solicit dates, but in terms of actual shipped product, this book has been pretty much where most creator-owned books are.

As for 'you'd think I'd have several issues written'-- I co-write a twice monthly shipping Avengers book, just did a double ship on Secret Avengers, just did 4 double-sized issues of Morning Glories, launched Superior Foes, and did this. I've been working on basically the equivalent of 7 books in terms of scripts due.

Everyone does their best, and it's not an exact science-- if I'd gotten 1 more -script done per month the last two months, there's be no delay here. But I didn't, because, well, see above. I haven't taken a day off the entire summer. I haven't seen any summer movie you have, because I've been locked away working (I know, cry me a river). Nobody working on this is sitting around playing video games.

The other comments are just... sorry, but absurd is the only word I can think of.

I just wanted to put this out there quickly, because I've never seen a book get such weirdly disproportionate schedule complaints in comparison to how much has actually shipped. Ryan is cranking out pages at an awesome rate, and 9 will be with you in August. We'll have the V2 trade out before the end of the year.

Edited by Nick Spencer

im new to reading comics, only been doing it for over a year now. im in my 40s, and quit reading comics when i was in my mid teens. Grew up on Marvel, but now as an adult, they do nothing for me reading wise.

Bedlam appealed to me when i read the previews. i want to read Bedlam every month without fail. i realize that is not possible when you are writing so many other books. Doesnt mean i have to like it.

So do not be surprised when we here in the Bedlam thread, are not happy about delays on a book that we are here to talk about because we like it.

Nick, take a deep breath and imagine we're all hugging you... :sick: no, but seriously, I wonder if you're not a little hyper sensitive to criticism.

We appreciate that you're very busy, but we want our book :sumo: !!

You don't know what it's been like for the Bedlam uber nerd out there on the mean streets of comicdom city, we've been carrying our 'read Bedlam' placards up and down telling anyone who'll listen "Read Bedlam, it's freaking awesome", people in my comic shop now call me that Bedlam guy, because everyone in there who has an ear, I'm bending it, never mind 'creator owned' how about 'fan sponsored'

As far as we're concerned the Avengers can go to hell, and the Secret Avengers can go quietly into the night (I won't say anything about MG, 'cause I've seen you open that can of whoop ) but please Mr very talented Spencer, we need our Bedlam on time and ready for easy absorption,

Your addicted and slightly unusual friend,

Phil

This book debuted on Oct. 31st (so basically, November). By end of this month, we'll have shipped 8 issues. That's 8 issues in 9 months we've managed to get out, even with an art team transition and very full schedules elsewhere all around.

We have not been smart in terms of our solicit dates, but in terms of actual shipped product, this book has been pretty much where most creator-owned books are.

As for 'you'd think I'd have several issues written'-- I co-write a twice monthly shipping Avengers book, just did a double ship on Secret Avengers, just did 4 double-sized issues of Morning Glories, launched Superior Foes, and did this. I've been working on basically the equivalent of 7 books in terms of scripts due.

Everyone does their best, and it's not an exact science-- if I'd gotten 1 more -script done per month the last two months, there's be no delay here. But I didn't, because, well, see above. I haven't taken a day off the entire summer. I haven't seen any summer movie you have, because I've been locked away working (I know, cry me a river). Nobody working on this is sitting around playing video games.

The other comments are just... sorry, but absurd is the only word I can think of.

I just wanted to put this out there quickly, because I've never seen a book get such weirdly disproportionate schedule complaints in comparison to how much has actually shipped. Ryan is cranking out pages at an awesome rate, and 9 will be with you in August. We'll have the V2 trade out before the end of the year.

That's an insane amount of (quality) work to be doing at the same time. Props from me for sure.

The frustration about delays is a constant drumbeat in the Nowhere Men and Saga threads, so FWIW I don't think folks are singling Bedlam out. But with the surprise switch in artists, I think I can understand a bit of extra 'concern' for Bedlam staying on track at this moment in time. There's been a lot of early enthusiasm here for the book... a book I very much enjoy, and likely wouldn't have discovered if not for this thread.

I can remember collecting Flaming Carrot in the mid-80s, pre-internet of course, when you'd be lucky if two issues came out in a single year. But man, the excitement and shock when you actually saw a new issue! (Not that I'm suggesting this as a business model, mind you.) lol

Should never have got involved with the Phantom mob.

You *might* have more than 8,000 readers.

I love your book, but the variants have pissed so many people off, you may as well have shot yourself in your left testicle.

This is your best book.

Embrace it.

I love your book, but the variants have pissed so many people off, you may as well have shot yourself in your left testicle.

This is your best book.

Embrace it.

(shrug)

I know I'll be the minority with this opinion, but I really like the Phantom covers for Bedlam. I enjoyed the creative twists on some iconic covers. I'm kind of "eh" on the Revival Phantom covers,. but the Bedlam ones were pretty cool IMO and a nice compliment to Irving's work! (thumbs u

This is your best book.

Embrace it.

Andy asked to buy Bedlam #1 Phantoms in deep quantity at wholesale level before the book came out.

When I wouldn't sell them to him his panties got bunched.

The Phantom group of 34 shops is proud to have helped build readership for this quality title.

I thought Riley's covers were delightful.

( cp III's too )