• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman 11 journey Solved

42 posts in this topic

1st auction bidder didn't pay, 2nd auction he ended it early, 3rd auction he relisted. That's what it looks like to me anyways.

The second auction was from a person who won the book from SC and listed it and is a big seller on Ebay.

I was going to bid on this book but I think something fishy is going on.

Sparkle City initially sold the book and mbhighlander bought it in an open auction.

mbhighlander put the book up on eBay with a BIN price after buying it from Sparkle City.

After a few weeks the book is up on eBay because either mbhighlander consigns it to Sparkle City (they do take consignments) or because Sparkle City bought it back from mbhighlander (they do buy books for resale).

The bidders in the 1st and 3rd auctions seem to be different.

So far I don't see any shill bidding.

(shrug)

Yeah--mbhighlander is the dealer who basically bought up all the decent slabbed copies of All-American # 17-25 back in 2010 to capitalize on the Green Lantern movie hype.

He then relisted them at insane (30-50%) mark-ups in his eBay store and they sat for a year+ until he finally let them go at auction, where many sold for less than he paid because the GL movie hype didn't really extend to the Golden Age Alan Scott character.

Yeah--mbhighlander is the dealer who basically bought up all the decent slabbed copies of All-American # 17-25 back in 2010 to capitalize on the Green Lantern movie hype.

He then relisted them at insane (30-50%) mark-ups in his eBay store and they sat for a year+ until he finally let them go at auction, where many sold for less than he paid because the GL movie hype didn't really extend to the Golden Age Alan Scott character.

Seems like a silly plan...why not just stock up on Hal Jordan stuff? (shrug)

I've had a couple people pm me about mbhighlander and wether he is on the up and up. For whatever reason, he seems to draw red flags for people. I've bought 3-4 HG Pedigree Avengers from him in the last 6 months or so. One of them i was very surprised how high the book went for but i didnt see anything i thought was shilling (shrug)

I ended up picking up my All-American # 21 from him at a solid GPA-low after he finally relented and sold it at auction.

But his 5.0 or 5.5 All-American 17 just pissed me off. I was the 1st or 2nd underbidder on it in the C-link auction about 3 years ago, where he snagged it for ~$2,700. And promptly posted to his eBay store with a Buy-It-Now of $4,400.

I haven't gone back to check, but it may be the same copy that Disneyart now has showing on eBay for the same amount.

Poetic justice.

mbhighlander and I have gone head to head on a few books where I ended up being the underbidder. I think that was the case with a few books on Comiclink when it came to a couple of Golden Age Action Comics as well as the Batman 11 in question.

As soon as mbhighlander wins an auction he lists the book on eBay in the hopes of a quick flip. He is on the up and up as I have bought from him myself once or twice. I am guessing that the Batman 11 was tying up too much money that he wanted to make available and that he is going to take the loss and auction it back off with SparkleCity.

Unfortunately for him I have done enough buying for the next year and am taking a break from any major purchases for the foreseeable future.

Although, if someone wants to make me a killer deal AT comic con for a few Action Comics, Batman, Detectice Comics or Superman books I am always open to offers. But that will be in October.

I don't know I think that some of the accusations of shill bidding on eBay and other auctions sites are the results of nothing more than sour grapes. A couple of months ago I was tempted to respond because someone pointed out that a couple of listings where I was the underbidders and thought that I was a shill bidder. I did not want to say anything at the time because I was legitimately going after the books (Spider-mans for my 1-100 set) and I thought it might work against me. They noted the massive amounts of tiny bids determined to walk a bid up slightly under the other bidders' maximum bid. Yup, that was me. Guilty as charged. If I wanted the book, what better way to make sure I get it than walk the bid up and snipe it at the end? Quite a few books that were charged with involved shill bids are sitting in my collection.

Not all competitors are shill bidders. Some just want the books.

...massive amounts of tiny bids determined to walk a bid up slightly under the other bidders' maximum bid. Yup, that was me. Guilty as charged. If I wanted the book, what better way to make sure I get it than walk the bid up and snipe it at the end?

How are you able to determine what the other bidder's max is? I usually just snipe my auctions - and I don't usually do anything more than that. I'm interested in how your method works, though. PM me if you don't want to give away trade secrets...