• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men:Days of Future Past movie confirmed
1 1

2,131 posts in this topic

Wasn't impressed.. No Sentinel scenes?? :censored:

In a teaser trailer? When that CGI is probably the most time consuming and final piece to the film production?

I'd rather not see half-assed rendered Sentinels as was done in the first Hulk movie for the teaser trailer. That just about ruined the buzz for that film. Releasing bad SFX is worse than not releasing any SFX.

What a hot mess.

Add it to the list of "never see, even if tortured"

I love it.

I'm not expecting X-men #141-142 word for word, a la Watchmen.

Watchmen proves that even the perfect comic movie can't please the fans.

What I am expecting is good acting, good special effects and a storyline that captures the essence of what #141-142 are...and I think they've already done it with the combination of trailer and Trask Industries website.

I'm going to keep expectations low but also am looking forward to it.

First off, Watchmen was not a "perfect" comic movie by any stretch. Second, the average person had no idea what Watchmen was in the first place. Third, it seems the only thing in that trailer that even resembles Days of Future Past is the time travel element. I'm not expecting it to be word for word, or even very close...but how about somewhere in the same ballpark?

Watchmen was listed as one of the top 100 novels of the 20th century, not graphic novels....novels novels. The sales over it's life are in the millions and millions of copies. So I think the average person might have a lot more awareness of what Watchmen was and is.

As much as the X-Men? I would bet you that if we went up to 100 random people on the street more people would know who the X-Men were and it wouldn't even be close.

Well there are no Watchmen Underoos or Toothbrushes. They lack Saturday morning cartoon shows and kids Halloween costumes but i was referring to the actual story that was adapted not the merchandising and licensing that makes the characters familiar in a very surface and general sense.

In that way there are WAY more people that were familiar with Watchmen than with any single X-men story arc that was later adapted to film.

The point I was trying to make is that Watchmen didn't fail because it was faithful to the comic book, just as X-Men isn't successful because it isn't faithful.

That I agree with.

The side characters such as Azazel, Angel and Riptide were horrible but if you ignore them and pretend they aren't in the movie, X-Men: First Class was fantastic.

What didn't you like about Azazel? He looked cool and they used his teleporting in highly interesting ways. Loved the scene where he kept porting the CIA agents up into the air and dropping them.

azazel_01%5B1%5D.jpg

I concur, Azazel was an interesting character. Having said that even I think they could've left Riptide out. First Class for me is one of those movies that I can watch over and over and never get tired of it.

The DOFP trailer looks great and Im under the impression Singer feels somewhat bad for abandoning us on X3 and wants to make it up to himself and the fans.

First off, Watchmen was not a "perfect" comic movie by any stretch.

It was more authentic to the source material than any other movie I can remember being made about comics.

i go with 300 on this test: it was just about frame for panel loyal to the comic.

It was more authentic to the source material than any other movie I can remember being made about comics.

i go with 300 on this test: it was just about frame for panel loyal to the comic.

I'd forgotten about 300 and Sin City (admittedly I've never read Sin City) but I did find Watchmen a highly enjoyable, well crafted piece of artwork on film.

My point being that even the comic films that are most true to the source material can have people disappointed with them.

I think that if you're not being realistic about what a story writer is capable of doing (and translating a 1963 comic to a 2013 screenplay is near impossible) then it's going to be rough going for those people.

300 was a time piece and based on history, which is why they could do it panel for panel and sell it.

Sin City was ahead of it's time (and also timeless) but also gritty and gruesome enough that people would be drawn to it, which is why they could do it panel for panel.

Watchmen was a time piece as well but also relatively contemporary and is still being read by students today.

You just can't do X-men (1963) panel for panel. It wouldn't even make it to DVD. 1973 and 1983 X-men, ditto.

I love how people can extrapolate the plot of a two hour movie from a two minute trailer and leave themselves disappointed. Clever people. doh!

No different from extrapolating the plot from a 2 minute clip and then recommending it for an Academy Award. Doh, c'mon man that's what the trailers are for. Generate buzz and conversation.

I think that the "Days of Future Past" storyline as presented in X-Men #141-142 is a fairly simple one. The storyline was not very long--it was not a massive story arc. There is plenty that can be done to embellish the story. I'd imagine (and hope) that the basic story elements are what they're keeping: time traveling to the past to positively alter the future.

Did you guys see the X-Men Animated Series "Days of Future Past" interpretation? That one centered around Bishop as the time traveler. It also added extra storyline elements such as an X-Man being framed as the triggerman in the assassination.

Wasn't impressed.. No Sentinel scenes?? :censored:

In a teaser trailer? When that CGI is probably the most time consuming and final piece to the film production?

I'd rather not see half-assed rendered Sentinels as was done in the first Hulk movie for the teaser trailer. That just about ruined the buzz for that film. Releasing bad SFX is worse than not releasing any SFX.

True.

I love how people can extrapolate the plot of a two hour movie from a two minute trailer and leave themselves disappointed. Clever people. doh!

No different from extrapolating the plot from a 2 minute clip and then recommending it for an Academy Award. Doh, c'mon man that's what the trailers are for. Generate buzz and conversation.

This. ^^

-slym

SOT has now rumbled into the forum and posted a competing thread to this one, so I hereby declare this thread closed. :rulez:

Start another thread about it, asking people to vote on which thread should rule supreme.

Then I'll start a thread to discuss that thread.

I'd forgotten about 300 and Sin City (admittedly I've never read Sin City) but I did find Watchmen a highly enjoyable, well crafted piece of artwork on film.

My point being that even the comic films that are most true to the source material can have people disappointed with them.

I think that if you're not being realistic about what a story writer is capable of doing (and translating a 1963 comic to a 2013 screenplay is near impossible) then it's going to be rough going for those people.

300 was a time piece and based on history, which is why they could do it panel for panel and sell it.

Sin City was ahead of it's time (and also timeless) but also gritty and gruesome enough that people would be drawn to it, which is why they could do it panel for panel.

Watchmen was a time piece as well but also relatively contemporary and is still being read by students today.

You just can't do X-men (1963) panel for panel. It wouldn't even make it to DVD. 1973 and 1983 X-men, ditto.

Who's saying they want X-Men #1 done panel for panel to the big screen? I just hope for something close and we don't get anything even in the same ballpark.

Who's saying they want X-Men #1 done panel for panel to the big screen? I just hope for something close and we don't get anything even in the same ballpark.

But close to what?

You have the characters with their powers - those are fairly consistent.

You have the behaviors and character traits of the characters which are fairly true to the comics.

You have story concepts, but obviously with things changed to adapt to the big screen.

I mean, come on, Iron Man and Avengers story lines are not true to the comic books, but those comics were originally written organically with one concept growing out of another and no real plan over all simply because they didn't know they were going to be around 50 years later. Most of the stuff would be silly to adapt straight to the screen.

Now look what they've done instead to interweave Stark, Avengers, Hulk, Thor, Shield, Cap together.

It's frigging brilliant.

Anyhow, I let the concept of 'staying true' to the comics go a long time ago.

I just look at these as exciting new stories with the same old characters - almost like a one-off graphic novel in a different continuity. That way, I get to enjoy the movies rather than ignore them.

Wow that was awesome to read! Thank you :applause:

My monies on this movie.

The Wolverine I thought was going to be meh, but it actually was an awesome movie.

Edited by retrothecollector