• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men:Days of Future Past movie confirmed
1 1

2,131 posts in this topic

Wow that was awesome to read! Thank you :applause:

My monies on this movie.

The Wolverine I thought was going to be meh, but it actually was an awesome movie.

He's a fellow fanboy that gets to make these characters into living representations. What a cool job!

He finished by saying that seeing McAvoy and Stewart together gave him goosebumps. “I’ve got a picture on my iPhone of the two of them talking to each other,” he said. “These moments need to be photographed.”

Who's saying they want X-Men #1 done panel for panel to the big screen? I just hope for something close and we don't get anything even in the same ballpark.

But close to what?

You have the characters with their powers - those are fairly consistent.

You have the behaviors and character traits of the characters which are fairly true to the comics.

You have story concepts, but obviously with things changed to adapt to the big screen.

I mean, come on, Iron Man and Avengers story lines are not true to the comic books, but those comics were originally written organically with one concept growing out of another and no real plan over all simply because they didn't know they were going to be around 50 years later. Most of the stuff would be silly to adapt straight to the screen.

Now look what they've done instead to interweave Stark, Avengers, Hulk, Thor, Shield, Cap together.

It's frigging brilliant.

Anyhow, I let the concept of 'staying true' to the comics go a long time ago.

I just look at these as exciting new stories with the same old characters - almost like a one-off graphic novel in a different continuity. That way, I get to enjoy the movies rather than ignore them.

So basically you're accepting that these are basically elseworlds tales and just enjoy them as is. I dunno, would it really have killed profits if they had done a story with the original X-Men that was somewhat close to the first few issues?

Who's saying they want X-Men #1 done panel for panel to the big screen? I just hope for something close and we don't get anything even in the same ballpark.

But close to what?

You have the characters with their powers - those are fairly consistent.

You have the behaviors and character traits of the characters which are fairly true to the comics.

You have story concepts, but obviously with things changed to adapt to the big screen.

I mean, come on, Iron Man and Avengers story lines are not true to the comic books, but those comics were originally written organically with one concept growing out of another and no real plan over all simply because they didn't know they were going to be around 50 years later. Most of the stuff would be silly to adapt straight to the screen.

Now look what they've done instead to interweave Stark, Avengers, Hulk, Thor, Shield, Cap together.

It's frigging brilliant.

Anyhow, I let the concept of 'staying true' to the comics go a long time ago.

I just look at these as exciting new stories with the same old characters - almost like a one-off graphic novel in a different continuity. That way, I get to enjoy the movies rather than ignore them.

So basically you're accepting that these are basically elseworlds tales and just enjoy them as is. I dunno, would it really have killed profits if they had done a story with the original X-Men that was somewhat close to the first few issues?

Or at least used the original X-Men? (re: First Class)

-slym

So basically you're accepting that these are basically elseworlds tales and just enjoy them as is.

Yes. It's no different than when some writer comes onto the title and rewrites history for whatever reason. Writer's liberty.

I dunno, would it really have killed profits if they had done a story with the original X-Men that was somewhat close to the first few issues?

I haven't really analyzed it, but I do know on the surface, that taking characters with a lot of history to them and trying to make a movie out of it is not as simple as it might first seem. When you're reading an arc that you might be nostalgically attached to (like DOFP), you've already got years of history and nostalgia behind you that the comic writer is building on.

By the time DOFP came by in 141/142 we had years history, reading and characterization...that's why the story was so powerful to those of us that read it as teenagers, etc.

When you're writing a movie, you've gotta get everyone up to speed really quickly without the value of knowing whether they all read X-men #94-140, so you have to change the story for it to make sense to the average moviegoer - otherwise you lose everyone.

That's why it seemed so logical to have Stark Industries behind everything (including Cap, Hulk, Iron Man, etc) rather than give each hero their own original and find a way to tie them all together.

I'm very impressed at the cohesion that they built into the Marvel / Avengers universe in a very short period of time, even if they did have to rewrite everything from the comics.

Regarding the DOFP changes, for example, it just makes so much sense for Wolverine to be the time traveller - that healing power is everything in a situation like that.

Anyhow, that's my 2c

Like I said, I'd rather enjoy the movies than reject them so I changed the way I saw them.

Not that I dislike Singer's X-men movies, but I can only imagine how Joss Whedon would make an X-men movie work. He gave each character extensive development and screen time in Avengers.

Not that I dislike Singer's X-men movies, but I can only imagine how Joss Whedon would make an X-men movie work. He gave each character extensive development and screen time in Avengers.

Take a look at his Astonishing run and tell me if you think that would play well on the big screen.

:)

-slym

There'd be a whole lot more wise-crackalackin'

Why is it called "mankind" ??

Humankind.

Then, "The X-Humans."

-slym

So Zombies then? hm

But who would punch out Wolverine?

Buffy

Buffy

:luhv:

Get 'em, Buff!