• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rate Your "Old School" On-Going Moderns

19 posts in this topic

From this list of 14 long ongoing titles rate your favorites to your least favorites. (JLA, Flash, Green Lantern, Green Arrow and Supes granted all had that mid-eighties restart, or two, but we'll let that slide) Doesn't matter what your motive, reader, collector or speculator, from best to worst.

Amazing Spider-Man

Avengers

Batman

Daredevil

Fantastic Four

Flash

Green Arrow

Green Lantern

Incredible Hulk

Iron Man

JLA

Superman

Thor

Uncanny X-Men

CRC

In order, from best #1 to worst #14:

1. Daredevil

2. Green Arrow

3. Amazing Spider-Man

4. Fantastic Four

5. Avengers

6. Uncanny X-Men

7. Flash

8. JLA

9. Superman

10. Incredible Hulk

11. Thor

12. Iron Man

13. Batman

14. Green Lantern

Hmm... some of these titles I didn't really read every issue. So this would be my current list.

JLA

Uncanny X-Men

Flash

Batman

Avengers

Superman

Iron Man

Fantastic Four

Green Lantern

Incredible Hulk

Thor

Daredevil

Amazing Spider-Man

Green Arrow

Here you go...listed from fav to blah.

1. Avengers

2. Batman

3. Uncanny X-Men

4. Amazing Spider-Man

5. Daredevil

6. Fantastic Four

7. Incredible Hulk

8. Green Lantern

9. Iron Man

10 Green Arrow

11 Thor

12 Superman

13 Flash

14 JLA

If it had been a choice, Cap. America would be #2.

I'm not sure I understand the question. Are these to be rated by what we think of them today, or when we first read them, or confused-smiley-013.gif? And where are books like Captain America?

Fantastic Four

Avengers

JLA

Incredible Hulk

Superman

Flash

Thor

Batman

Amazing Spider-Man

Iron Man

Green Lantern

Daredevil

Uncanny X-Men

Green Arrow

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Daredevil

Amazing

FF

Uncanny X-men.

Uncanny has been trash for awhile now. Haven't read the new creative team's stuff just yet, waiting for the story arc to wrap up.

And thats it. I'm about 4 years behind on Iron Man/Thor/Cap/Avengers/Hulk. Working my way through that pile right now. Slowly.

BEST:1) Incredible Hulk - some feel this has dragged on but I like what Bruce Jones is doing with it and now as an MK title, it should even get hotter; Deodato's art is a pleasure to view; this is only a relative best based on the 14 titles given; my favorite reads are Ultimate and Vertigo titles...

2)Daredevil - Maleev's style has grown on me and Bendis continues to write well as he brings more of the old DD cast into it

3)Amazing Spider-Man - I like JMS and what he is doing; I hate Romita Jr's art on this title

4)Uncanny X-Men (Reload is gimmicky and not much substance in the title now. frown.gif )

5) Flash ( at first it was the Turner covers, but I like the reads I'm getting from it now with Flash's wife leaving him and Zoom possibly re-entering the picture since his wife Ashley got hurt this issue)

6) Superman (Lee is the only reason I'm getting this now; and Turner alternate covers)

7) Fantastic Four - the MK "4" title is way better, but Waid fizzled after that lame heaven issue and can only go up from there 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

8) Avengers (once Bendis comes on in July, I'll be picking it up)

9) Thor (I pick up Thor faithfully and read it; I like this current Ragnarok - yet again foreheadslap.gif - storyline, but I hear good things are coming to this title with new creative talent of blockbuster proportions. 893applaud-thumb.gif

10) Iron Man (I'm only picking this up for Avengers Disassembled storyline)

Don't even read:

11) Green Arrow (not since Kevin Smith left)

12) Green Lantern (not since the gay bashing issue)

13) JLA (never?)

Worst:

14) Batman (since Lee/Loeb left, it has gone downhill starting with the 100 Bullets crew and even worse now with the stupid cover of "Jason's Back" with Jason Todd attacking Batman - worst gimmick ever to get fans to pick up the book...PM me for the "surprise reveal" inside, if ou can't already figure it out foreheadslap.gif

This list is dymanic on any given month...

5) Flash ( at first it was the Turner covers, but I like the reads I'm getting from it now with Flash's wife leaving him and Zoom possibly re-entering the picture since his wife Ashley got hurt this issue)

27_laughing.gif

Understatement candidate.

27_laughing.gif

true, they do use the last panel teaser. I actually really like the Flash series right now. Although I don't know much of the continuity so far. I know who all the characters are and who the villains are. Love the Grodd battle. Great stuff.

3)Amazing Spider-Man - I like JMS and what he is doing; I hate Romita Jr's art on this title

I think I must be in the minority on this issue judging from all of the negative commentary I read about JR JR, but I really like JR JR's artwork. While I prefer the more fluid lines that he used back in the early 80s in his first run on ASM, I still like his art quite a bit. The best thing about his artwork is that he is a fantastic storyteller. You can almost follow the story without reading any of the panels. This is something that very few of today's popular artists can claim.

While his artwork is not considered by many as being as "pretty" as that of some other artists, I have to say that my particular enjoyment of any comic book has a lot to do with how well the story flows from panel to panel, and how well the pictures tell the story and create drama, through clever use of varying perspectives, body language of characters whether they are in motion or not, facial expressions, and background imagery. JR JR has few equals among today's artists in this department.

Even if you don't like his artwork, next time you read an issue of ASM, focus on what is really going on in each panel and throughout the story and I think you'll see why I appreciate JR JR's artwork so much.

I can think of three titles left off the list:

Wonder Woman

Action Comics

Detective Comics

If you want to get technical, Adventures of Superman is the title that goes back to the Golden Age.

Of all the ones listed, I think FLASH is the best ongoing superhero book right now.

The only titles on that list that I read consistently are Daredevil and Fantastic Four. And, I'd rank them in that order. Daredevil is probably my favorite super-hero title out right now although I expect Planetary will overtake it once I catch up). Bendis is a great writer, and Daredevil is his best work.

I agree 100% w/ Darth about FF. Waid was jsut doing an amazing job on the book, but wrote himself into a corner w/ the last long arc. I look for him to bounce back strong.

I'm also reading Superman at the momnet, but only b/c I'm a huge Azzarello fan. I think I'm the only one that is enjoying the current arc.

I've read a few Flash books, and I really like Geoff Johns. I just don't care enough about the Flash to continue picking the book up monthly. I will be picking up Green Lantern once he starts (I'm a Hal guy as well, so I haven't been reading GL since I got back into collecting).

I really like the Jones Hulk stuff as well, but don't read it monthly. I grab the trades now and then when I need something good to read. His "Hulk" is the way they should have done the movie. Best Hulk stuff since Peter David's hey-day. And, I actually like it better!

I'll be reading Thor very soon (once Gaiman takes over), and I'm sure this book will be at the top of my list.

I think I must be in the minority on this issue judging from all of the negative commentary I read about JR JR, but I really like JR JR's artwork. While I prefer the more fluid lines that he used back in the early 80s in his first run on ASM, I still like his art quite a bit. The best thing about his artwork is that he is a fantastic storyteller. You can almost follow the story without reading any of the panels. This is something that very few of today's popular artists can claim.

While his artwork is not considered by many as being as "pretty" as that of some other artists, I have to say that my particular enjoyment of any comic book has a lot to do with how well the story flows from panel to panel, and how well the pictures tell the story and create drama, through clever use of varying perspectives, body language of characters whether they are in motion or not, facial expressions, and background imagery. JR JR has few equals among today's artists in this department.

Even if you don't like his artwork, next time you read an issue of ASM, focus on what is really going on in each panel and throughout the story and I think you'll see why I appreciate JR JR's artwork so much.

Wow, I was just about to write the exact same thing. Romita Jr., while his artistic style kills me, is one of the best story telling artists working today. Guess it must be genetic. smile.gif

Plus, he's probably one of the nicest guys in the whole world. I know you always hear a/b so-and-so being really nice to the fans at whatever-con but this guy's the real deal. He and I sat for about 30 minutes (while he signed books for me) talking about everything from growing up in a comicbook family to baseball to whatever. Never once did I feel it was just him humoring me -- 100% conversation.

At SD in 2002 he was scheduled to sign every day for a/b an hour. His wife got sick on Wednesday and was in the hospital. Of course he was a no-show until Saturday. He was about 30 minutes late for his signing but he rushed in, thanked everyone for being patient, and started signing away -- for 4 and a half hours. He just sat there signing and talking to folks until everyone was gone.

Contrast this with Todd McFarlane -- slated for a 60 minute signing, shows up 5 minutes late, gives a 35 minute interview to some guy (while everyone is standing in line), then decides to sign some books -- didn't even look up, then bolts out right at the 60 minute mark. What a ! He left about 1,000 people just standing there.

Wow, I was just about to write the exact same thing. Romita Jr., while his artistic style kills me, is one of the best story telling artists working today. Guess it must be genetic.

Make that 3 of us. While I still like Romita Jrs art quite a bit, I like him more as a storyteller. I first realized this on his Thor run. I loved that run & was in awe of the series, hoping to grab a few pages of original art when it came out. When his agent started listing the pages, I couldn't find one that I really loved. I went back & looked over the whole run & rarely saw any panels I was drawn to as works of art, but he tells a story like no other artist.

I think at one time or another I've read every series, so the ones I read and why I left or stopped the others.

1. Batman - He's the first and Ultimate anti-hero. I agree that the "HUSH" storyline was over hyped and has not been woved into the continuity at all in any way shape or form. The NO MANS LAND storyline and Bruce Wayne Fugitive were the highlights of the past 100 issues and I have been waiting for the consistency and the stories to get back there. But I will wait for Batman as his credit in terms of story and art is still positive through the years. They need to get a longer term team and get some vision on this flagship book though.

2. Daredevil - The Art and story over the first 60 now issues has rivalled anything that is produced in comics today. My second fav book behind Hellblazer....

3. Uncanny X-Men - Well Clarmount's back writing, I guess that is the good news, however this book has been marginal for a while, not as bad as some ppl think. The Juggernaut tangent has been nice and the origin of Nightcrawler was a sincere attempt to clear up the ALL TO MANY PLOT THREADS THAT ARE DANGLING. However, with the Mutant Universe poised to explode yet again (anyone remember the continuity nightmares of the early 90s) It looks as if things are going to get worse. Unless Clarmount can bring some consistency and innovation I may stop collecting this book - a pretty stong statement considering I am eight issues shy of owning the entire run in pretty High Grade.

The rest.............

4. Amazing Spider-Man - the best of the rest, I stopped collecting somewhere in the Ultimate venom era and havent been back, I think all the storylines have been played out. I heard the relaunch was awesome and he has the rogues gallery to sustain, but for some reason I grew up and spidey just didnt come with me.

5. Incredible Hulk - Have a looooooooong run of this series and departed about 15 issues after Peter David I believe. I have heard good things and really liked the covers I have seen in my LCS over the past 2 years - the Steranko Annual #1 Homage was really nice. Have been tempted to come back but there are just better things being produced elsewhere IMO.

6. JLA - the JLA for me was the relaunch in the late 80s and the comedic approach (the Batman Guy Gardner battle in issue #5 will always be a classic for me) they then tried to expand and mass prodcue the JLA Universe (god anyone remember JL Europe) lost me there and havent come back.

- I have minimal runs of the rest..... for various reasons.

Avengers - Just never got into it

Fantastic Four - see Avengers, I guess X-Men was the Marvel Team for me.

Flash - Started collecting with the relaucnhed in 1987? Stopped around issues 25, I was a fan of Kid Flash in New Titans, but didnt have enough to keep my attention solo.

Green Arrow - Heard this is a good series however, besides long bow hunters and the prestige craze of the mid-eighties and the classic green lantern team up Ive never been a fan.

Green Lantern - Um I have about 50 isues after the early 90s relaunch and Lemme tell ya do yourself a favour go get the O'Neil / Adams 70s stuff - Green Lantern hasnt approached anything interesting since.

Iron Man - Stopped after John Romita Jrs art in the mid 200s - it was brutal and I havent been back.

Superman - Just never liked Superman, never saw the attraction of a guy who was impervious to everything.

Thor - Currently back issueing and I have 75% of the entire original run, this is one I paln on reading in succession, loved the Simonsen run and may be tempted to pick it up, is the new series any good???

CRC