• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Fantastic Four #1 spiked again?

53 posts in this topic

Hey everyone, just a quick question. (and my first SA post, I usually hangout in the GA section).

I've been considering picking up a low grade cgc blue FF#1, but it occurred to me that there might have been a recent spike because of a possibl/planned movie relaunch.

I'd like to pick it up before it goes double in value, but I also figure this is EXACTLY what I'm supposed to think right now. "buy now, before it's too late!".

So any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

FF 1 is awesome, will always hold its value, and you would be really unlucky to lose money on it. Having said that it will always be bridesmaid to AF 15 2c

This is true as all other SA keys will be behind AF15. But, if I had to pick the next key behind AF15 it would be FF1. AF15 prices are almost out of reach for the common collector. FF1 has not reached that peak yet but I predict it will get there.

I picked up a 3.0 recently with the belief that FF1 will be the next SA mega key.

FF 1 is awesome, will always hold its value, and you would be really unlucky to lose money on it. Having said that it will always be bridesmaid to AF 15 2c

This is true as all other SA keys will be behind AF15. But, if I had to pick the next key behind AF15 it would be FF1. AF15 prices are almost out of reach for the common collector. FF1 has not reached that peak yet but I predict it will get there.

I picked up a 3.0 recently with the belief that FF1 will be the next SA mega key.

I concur (thumbs u

+1 FF1 is generally viewed as the second most valuable SA book and so even with little short term spikes, you're usually better off just buying it now (or asap), because several months from now you end up saying "shoulda bought then"

Just my 2 cents.

As we saw with the AF15 rise, there is probably no end in sight. For a book like FF1 don't fret over what you could have bought it for, just go for it. Presently, I think Hulk 1 is undervalued and will be the next book to spike. Disclaimer: I own an FF1 but not a Hulk 1.

As we saw with the AF15 rise, there is probably no end in sight. For a book like FF1 don't fret over what you could have bought it for, just go for it. Presently, I think Hulk 1 is undervalued and will be the next book to spike. Disclaimer: I own an FF1 but not a Hulk 1.

Good advice

Looking at GPA, I can't see much evidence of a spike at any grade level. Maybe a modest increase that's in line with normal 5% growth, but not anything resembling a "spike".

AF15 hasn't really "spiked" either in the last four years, although it has gone up at a decent clip as compared to the rather-anemic growth and decline of all other Silver Marvel books. Looks to me like AF15 has gone up around 25% in the last four years at grades below 7.0, but 7.0 and above has remained mostly steady. My best guess for the higher growth of lower-graded AF15s is that since the great majority of people aren't able to afford the upper grades on that title anymore, the competition for the lower grades has heated up. :popcorn:

Looking at GPA, I can't see much evidence of a spike at any grade level.

I don't know if its an outlier but looking at GPA there was a 4.0 sold in July for 5500, if that is permanent I'd call that halfway towards a spike

I don't know if its an outlier but looking at GPA there was a 4.0 sold in July for 5500, if that is permanent I'd call that halfway towards a spike

Given that six of the other eight 4.0s and four out of the five 4.5s that have sold in 2012 all sold for less than $5500 and most closer to the mid-$4000 range, that looks like an outlier, but not an unexpected one, there are always outliers. Could have been a particularly attractive copy, could have been thrill-bidding, could have been a pressing candidate...lots of reasons any given copy might sell for more. Given that most this year haven't sold at that level, can't look at it as an indicator of a new price level.

Good advice

Hulk 1 is already skyrocketing to chase AF15. :)

Given that six of the other eight 4.0s and four out of the five 4.5s that have sold in 2012 all sold for less than $5500 and most closer to the mid-$4000 range, that looks like an outlier, but not an unexpected one, there are always outliers. Could have been a particularly attractive copy, could have been thrill-bidding, could have been a pressing candidate...lots of reasons any given copy might sell for more. Given that most this year haven't sold at that level, can't look at it as an indicator of a new price level.

I know.... That's why I said *if*. :). Can't totally write it off either til we see what happens next. Regardless, the book seems due when it's half he price of af15 and same as hulk 1.... Wtf.

Hey everyone, just a quick question. (and my first SA post, I usually hangout in the GA section).

I've been considering picking up a low grade cgc blue FF#1, but it occurred to me that there might have been a recent spike because of a possibl/planned movie relaunch.

I'd like to pick it up before it goes double in value, but I also figure this is EXACTLY what I'm supposed to think right now. "buy now, before it's too late!".

So any thoughts you might have would be appreciated.

I would say buy it now. I just agreed on a deal for myself because relative to the others it seems underpriced. Your thread got me off my asz, so thanks ;)