• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Rankings 2012

369 posts in this topic

Bob may not want to comment due to conflict of interest but i will on his behalf as he is as good as they come. He is the exact opposite of every stereotype comic shop dealer. Absolutely PERFECT customer service in every way! You cant possibly go wrong EVER buying from him! (thumbs u

4 of the top 10 surprisingly i guess ive never even done business with. Of the 6 i have done business with, i'd give A+++'s to Clink, Commicconnect, Heritage, Highgradecomics and Mycomicshop. All 5 of them have gone above and beyond helping me out with books i want and need and I would NEVER hesitate to give my money to them.

The 6th is Worldwide comics. I wont rehash the same old thing like in last years thread as i've somewhat gotten over what happened. I will say that Ritter did try to help resolve the problem and was at least courteous and responded to my emails and addressed my concerns over what happened. Because of Ritters more than courteous replies, i will still give them my business.

Matt Nelson on the other hand, i have NOTHING whatsoever positive to say about. To this day(well over a year later!) i still have never received a response to the numerous emails i sent him about my problem with him. The closest i ever got was a condescending post on here to the affect that i didnt send enough emails. I know plenty of people love him but to me he is the definition of whats wrong with this hobby. The day Ritter severs ties with him is the day he will get 10 times as much business from me (thumbs u

Wow How can you say that? That is a very bold statement! I have had a couple of dealings with Matt and talked to him plenty of times and he has always been top notch and willing to answer all my questions. To me Matt is VERY good for the hobby even without his pressing service.

I agree with 8mile as well that the statement above was a little harsh. Matt is a very knowledgable guy on comics especially on the topic of restoration and conservation. Without him, I would be screwed over with having books that I bought as restored, but was sold to me as unrestored. I'd be losing thousands of dollars in the process.

I've had nothing but positive dealings with Matt. He is a big asset to the hobby

I've always liked Matt...but 8 months of no replies about a book he lost and never shipped to his buyer? You guys would have hung him high a long time ago on the probation list had he done that in these forums, so why you're so quick to forgive a transaction like that off-board is puzzling. ??? Perhaps I'm missing some details as I never saw the original thread about this. (shrug) Supapimp just got crucified, EXCRUCIATINGLY so, for doing a far less unethical thing than this. :eek:

Bob may not want to comment due to conflict of interest but i will on his behalf as he is as good as they come. He is the exact opposite of every stereotype comic shop dealer. Absolutely PERFECT customer service in every way! You cant possibly go wrong EVER buying from him! (thumbs u

4 of the top 10 surprisingly i guess ive never even done business with. Of the 6 i have done business with, i'd give A+++'s to Clink, Commicconnect, Heritage, Highgradecomics and Mycomicshop. All 5 of them have gone above and beyond helping me out with books i want and need and I would NEVER hesitate to give my money to them.

The 6th is Worldwide comics. I wont rehash the same old thing like in last years thread as i've somewhat gotten over what happened. I will say that Ritter did try to help resolve the problem and was at least courteous and responded to my emails and addressed my concerns over what happened. Because of Ritters more than courteous replies, i will still give them my business.

Matt Nelson on the other hand, i have NOTHING whatsoever positive to say about. To this day(well over a year later!) i still have never received a response to the numerous emails i sent him about my problem with him. The closest i ever got was a condescending post on here to the affect that i didnt send enough emails. I know plenty of people love him but to me he is the definition of whats wrong with this hobby. The day Ritter severs ties with him is the day he will get 10 times as much business from me (thumbs u

Wow How can you say that? That is a very bold statement! I have had a couple of dealings with Matt and talked to him plenty of times and he has always been top notch and willing to answer all my questions. To me Matt is VERY good for the hobby even without his pressing service.

I agree with 8mile as well that the statement above was a little harsh. Matt is a very knowledgable guy on comics especially on the topic of restoration and conservation. Without him, I would be screwed over with having books that I bought as restored, but was sold to me as unrestored. I'd be losing thousands of dollars in the process.

I've had nothing but positive dealings with Matt. He is a big asset to the hobby

I've always liked Matt...but 8 months of no replies about a book he lost and never shipped to his buyer? You guys would have hung him high a long time ago on the probation list had he done that in these forums, so why you're so quick to forgive a transaction like that off-board is puzzling. ??? Perhaps I'm missing some details as I never saw the original thread about this. (shrug)

My understanding is that is not the case. I could be wrong but I believe

Sufunk already had his refund. It was an email he sent after posting negative things on here about the transaction that apologized for said actions and that email went ignored.

Sufunk already had his refund. It was an email he sent after posting negative things on here about the transaction that apologized for said actions and that email went ignored.

I can only go by what sufunk is claiming in this thread, which was this:

I was forced to take a refund after about 8 months because you and the other party could no longer be bothered with my time consuming once every two months pms/emails asking for an update.

I can only go by what sufunk is claiming in this thread, which was this:

I was forced to take a refund after about 8 months because you and the other party could no longer be bothered with my time consuming once every two months pms/emails asking for an update.

True. I don't have the post but from what I recall (if i'm wrong someone will correct me)...

They offered a refund when the book went missing and Jason opted to have them keep looking for the book instead and finally took the refund after months of it not turning up and apparent poor communications.

Bottom line is Jason had every right to be upset about the missing book. I would have been also. Once a refund is issued and an apology was made... I feel the ongoing posts towards Matt and ignoring his apology is over the top drama.

They offered a refund when the book went missing and Jason opted to have them keep looking for the book instead and finally took the refund after months of it not turning up and apparent poor communications.

Ah, that makes sense. Not quite so bad then, aside from the awful communication.

Foolkiller's 2012 Dealer Rankings

Each year, I go through the dealers and rank out where I believe they fall given the past year's activity. While there is some fluctuation from year to year, generally the list sees similar names, mostly because the best dealers maintain their strengths and weaknesses.

Let me also put this disclaimer out there: This is only my opinion. To preempt dealers from getting upset or collectors telling me that Metropolis blows, I understand your points. I truly do. And in many cases, they are legitimate. For me, this is just a talking point. It certainly isn't bible truth or anything of the sort. I also understand that my experience may not be yours in the sense that I definitely am privileged to have access and the attention that not everyone has, and in part I recognize that's because I spend a fair amount of money each year.

With that said, I know the #1 thing that concerns most people here on the boards is integrity. Please know that I'm not sure how exactly everyone is defining integrity but this is an important and serious factor to me. It is not, however, the only factor in the ranking.

However... you will notice a shakeup in this year's rankings based on a number of factors that I've seen and discussed with a number of folks. I liked last year's format, so I've kept it.

I didn't base it on "who do I like the best" but rather a number of factors (none of which are ranked in a particular order):

1) Competitive pricing

2) Accurate grading

3) Breadth of Inventory

4) Activity in the Marketplace

5) Quality of the website

6) Customer Service

7) Integrity

8) Convention Presence

9) Acquisition of New Material (freshness of inventory)

10) Impact on the Market

Here's a list of all of the different dealers that were considered (sure I missed some). Generally, I did not consider store owners unless they carried a very extensive vintage comics selection:

Harley Yee (Harley Yee Rare Comics)

Dave Kapelka (North Coast Nostalgia)

Richard Evans (Bedrock City)

Ben Lichtenstein (Zapp Comics)

Want List Comics

Steve Sibra

Eric Groves

Gary Calabouno (Moondog)

Dan Cusimano (Flying Donut Trading Company)

Bob Storms (Highgradecomics)

Greg Reece (Greg Reece's Rare Comics)

Metropolis (Steve Fishler and Vincent Zurzolo)

Heritage (Barry Sandoval, Lon Allen, Ed Jaster and Steve Borock)

Worldwide (Steve Ritter and Matt Nelson)

Comiclink (Josh Nathanson)

Superworld (Ted VanLiew)

Al Stoltz (Basement Comics)

Dave Reynolds (Dave's American Comics)

Dale Roberts (Dale Robert's Comics)

Jamie Graham (Graham Crackers)

Brian Peets (A-1 Comics)

Crazy Ed's

Pristine Comics

Jeff Delaney (Detective27.com)

Jamie Newbold (SoCal Comics)

Mark Wilson (PGC Mint)

Tom Brulato

Jeff Weaver (Victory Comics)

Mark Zaid (Esquirecomics)

Big Ben's

Marc Nathan (Cards, Comics and Collectibles)

Alan Bahr (Heroes)

Phil Schlaefer (Comic Collector Shop)

Neat Stuff Collectibles (Brian Schutzer)

Tomorrow's Treasures (Richie Muchin)

Jim Payette (Jim Payette's Rare Books and Comics)

Shelton Drum (Heroes Aren't Hard to Find)

Chris Foss (Heroes and Dragons)

Gary Platt (Adventure Planet)

Paradise Comics (Peter Dixon)

Vintage Comics (Roy Delic)

Comicana Direct (Nick Beckett)

Terry O'Neill (Terry's Comics)

All Select Comics (Mike Miles)

Bob Beerbohm

Greg White

Gerry Ross (One Million Comics)

Doug Sulipa (Doug's Comic World)

Robert Rogovin (Four Color Comics)

Greg Eide (Eide's Entertainment)

Marnin Rosenberg (Collector's Assemble)

Ron Pusell (Redbeard's Book Den)

Mile High Comics (Chuck Rozanski)

Lone Star Comics (Buddy Saunders)

Jef Hinds

Tony Starks (Comics in a Flash)

Steve Lauterbach (toychef on ebay)

Andrew Critella (GA Collectibles)

Dennis Keum (Fantasy Comics)

Bill Hughes

Crazy Ed

Andy Coleman

Rob Hughes (Archangels)

J & S Comics

Doug Schmell (Pedigreecomics)

Comickeys (Danny Dupcak)

Brent Moeshlin (Quality Comix)

House of Comics

John Hauser

David T. Alexander (DTA Collectibles)

Motor City Comics (Mike Goldman)

Gary Dolgoff (Gary Dolgoff's Comics)

Tom Gordon

Joe Koch (Koch Comics)

John Haines (John Haines Rare Comics)

Silver Age Comics (Gus Poulakas)

John Veryzl (Comic Heaven)

Steve Geppi (Diamond International Galleries)

Joe Verenault (JHV Associates)

Bechara Maalouf (Investment Collectibles)

Phil Bellmore (Vermont Comics)

Bill Ponseti

David Anderson (the Dentist, collector)

Dan Greenhalgh (Showcase New England)

Ed Robertson (Ed Robertson's Comics)

Rick Whitelock (New Force Comics)

The Bookery (Fairborn, Ohio)

Nelson Dodds

Sparkle City (Brian Schutzer)

Hon. mentions to the following dealers:

Hon. mentions: Dale Roberts, Doug Sulipa, Brian Peets, Jim Payette, Greg Eide, Greg Reece, Rick Whitelock, Adam Perlman, Roy Delic, Ted VanLiew, Al Stoltz, Marc Nathan, Harley Yee, Comicana Direct and Dave Reynolds

I am going to do a test by buying from each and everyone of these dealers in the next year. The books will be low priced. The dealers who show me good service will be the ones I look at first when I decide to spend the big bucks.

I will post the results sometime in the summer of 2013.

;)

I'd suggest avoiding this one:

Comickeys (Danny Dupcak)

Ah, that makes sense. Not quite so bad then, aside from the awful communication.

This is my understanding but again, if I'm wrong I apologize. But that is what I recall.

Each year, I go through the dealers and rank out where I believe they fall given the past year's activity. While there is some fluctuation from year to year, generally the list sees similar names, mostly because the best dealers maintain their strengths and weaknesses.

Let me also put this disclaimer out there: This is only my opinion. To preempt dealers from getting upset or collectors telling me that Metropolis blows, I understand your points. I truly do. And in many cases, they are legitimate. For me, this is just a talking point. It certainly isn't bible truth or anything of the sort. I also understand that my experience may not be yours in the sense that I definitely am privileged to have access and the attention that not everyone has, and in part I recognize that's because I spend a fair amount of money each year.

With that said, I know the #1 thing that concerns most people here on the boards is integrity. Please know that I'm not sure how exactly everyone is defining integrity but this is an important and serious factor to me. It is not, however, the only factor in the ranking.

However... you will notice a shakeup in this year's rankings based on a number of factors that I've seen and discussed with a number of folks. I liked last year's format, so I've kept it.

I didn't base it on "who do I like the best" but rather a number of factors (none of which are ranked in a particular order):

1) Competitive pricing

2) Accurate grading

3) Breadth of Inventory

6) Customer Service

7) Integrity

8) Convention Presence

10) Impact on the Market

Here's a list of all of the different dealers that were considered (sure I missed some). Generally, I did not consider store owners unless they carried a very extensive vintage comics selection:

Want List Comics

Steve Sibra

Eric Groves

Gary Calabouno (Moondog)

Superworld (Ted VanLiew)

Brian Peets (A-1 Comics)

Crazy Ed's

Pristine Comics

Mark Wilson (PGC Mint)

Tom Brulato

Big Ben's

Alan Bahr (Heroes)

Bob Beerbohm

Greg White

Jef Hinds

Bill Hughes

Crazy Ed

Andy Coleman

Rob Hughes (Archangels)

J & S Comics

Comickeys (Danny Dupcak)

House of Comics

John Hauser

Tom Gordon

Joe Koch (Koch Comics)

Bill Ponseti

Nelson Dodds

Hon. mentions: Dale Roberts, Doug Sulipa, Brian Peets, Jim Payette, Greg Eide, Greg Reece, Rick Whitelock, Adam Perlman, Roy Delic, Ted VanLiew, Al Stoltz, Marc Nathan, Harley Yee, Comicana Direct and Dave Reynolds

I am going to do a test by buying from each and everyone of these dealers in the next year. The books will be low priced. The dealers who show me good service will be the ones I look at first when I decide to spend the big bucks.

;)

Comickeys (Danny Dupcak)

... and Steve Geppi if you happen to be selling original Archie art.

1) Competitive pricing

2) Accurate grading

3) Breadth of Inventory

6) Customer Service

7) Integrity

8) Convention Presence

10) Impact on the Market

Want List Comics

Steve Sibra

Eric Groves

Gary Calabouno (Moondog)

Superworld (Ted VanLiew)

Brian Peets (A-1 Comics)

Crazy Ed's

Pristine Comics

Mark Wilson (PGC Mint)

Tom Brulato

Big Ben's

Alan Bahr (Heroes)

Bob Beerbohm

Greg White

Jef Hinds

Bill Hughes

Crazy Ed

Andy Coleman

Rob Hughes (Archangels)

J & S Comics

Comickeys (Danny Dupcak)

House of Comics

John Hauser

Tom Gordon

Joe Koch (Koch Comics)

Bill Ponseti

Nelson Dodds

;)

Comickeys (Danny Dupcak)

And do a forum search for this one: Gerry Ross (One Million Comics)

If you are losing friends over things like this it's time to reevaluate the importance of things in this life.

2c

Sufunk, what is best in life?

To burn your bridges, see comic retailers driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the CGC boards.

;)

:luhv:

There isn't a single person on Brian's lists... nor a single person probably on this board... that wouldn't step over each other's dead bodies racing to the next big deal, the next big flip or the next big money making scheme concerning this hobby... ...

I wouldn't. :hi:

Don't think I'm alone in this, either.

There isn't a single person on Brian's lists... nor a single person probably on this board... that wouldn't step over each other's dead bodies racing to the next big deal, the next big flip or the next big money making scheme concerning this hobby... ...

:hi:

Least you're honest Tom! :P Sign me up too (as I kick the corpse)

There isn't a single person on Brian's lists... nor a single person probably on this board... that wouldn't step over each other's dead bodies racing to the next big deal, the next big flip or the next big money making scheme concerning this hobby...

You couldn't be more wrong.

There isn't a single person on Brian's lists... nor a single person probably on this board... that wouldn't step over each other's dead bodies racing to the next big deal, the next big flip or the next big money making scheme concerning this hobby...

You couldn't be more wrong.

Welll...was the other person already dead when he's stepped over? That would make a bit of difference I suspect

You forgot option 4

Point to the guy as the police come running screaming, "He stole that.". Take the book back into possession. SWITCH BOOK WHEN POLICE WANT THE EVIDENCE.

Fake book goes into evidence while you hold on to real copy in private collection for years. In act act of compassion cut the families in for a slight piece of the pie at a future date like Forrest did for Bubba's family with the Apple stock.