• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer Rankings 2012

369 posts in this topic

Good read, thanks for the insight and opinion. I also agree that Mr. Resse needs to be on the list. Class act and a genuine nice guy. Bought a few books from him and he is my first choice for future purchases.

This list is always a good read. I'm surprised to see Harley drop from the top 10.

I am surprised that Chuck of Mile High Comics doesn`t make the top 10.

I have gotten many movie comics from him before the hype of movies begins at cheap prices. Like tons of Infinity Gauntlets as an example. He was the only one that had multiple copies of these kinda comic books in stock.

:cloud9:

These are only his top 10 not the top 10.

(thumbs u

Would be interesting to see if any of the dealers that read these boards comment in this list. We know that Metropolis, SparkleCity, LoneStar / Mycomics and Highgrade visit around these parts.

My top 10

1.Rick Whitelock-New Force

2.Bob Storms-Highgradecomics

3.Harley Yee

4.Nick-Comicana Direct

5.Dale Roberts

6.Bunky Brothers

7.Richard Evans-Bedrock City

8.Greg Reece

9.Ted VanLiew-Superworld

10.Jim Payette -Jim Payette's Rare Books and Comics

Now that's a list. :cloud9:

My top 10

3.Harley Yee

4.Nick-Comicana Direct

5.Dale Roberts

6.Bunky Brothers

8.Greg Reece

9.Ted VanLiew-Superworld

But I suspect you're using different criteria than Brian.

My top 10

3.Harley Yee

4.Nick-Comicana Direct

5.Dale Roberts

6.Bunky Brothers

8.Greg Reece

9.Ted VanLiew-Superworld

Not really.

Customer service-check

Price-check

Accurate grading-check

Integrity-check

Impact on the market-check

No,no seems like the same criteria. :)

My top 10

3.Harley Yee

4.Nick-Comicana Direct

5.Dale Roberts

6.Bunky Brothers

8.Greg Reece

9.Ted VanLiew-Superworld

Not really.

Customer service-check

Price-check

Accurate grading-check

Integrity-check

Impact on the market-check

No,no seems like the same criteria. :)

Breadth of inventory plays a big factor in Brian's rankings.

I love ComicLink... but should they really be considered as a comic book dealer? They have no inventory of their own and are just an auction and consignment house...unless I'm mistaken?

That's not accurate, you may not know it because they aren't identified this way, but they do own some of the books listed and in auctions.

(thumbs u I did not know that. Thanks for yet another informative dealer ranking list. Your breakdown of Sparkle City's 'cons' is spot on.

For and giggles, my #1 is Metropolis... mainly because I'm a collector of raw books, Frank's a cool guy to deal with, and they just have so damn many books.

Since Greg Reece is one of my better friends in life, not just in comics, let me explain that I certainly considered him. However, in maintaining the integrity of the list, I couldn't remove anyone legitimately at this point to replace him with.

If I were looking, it'd be Evans who he would have replaced, and I weighted the fact that Richard runs one of the finest shops in the country in one of the largest cities. Plus he does an extensive show circuit.

In addition, of course, this is not THE list as no such list exists. It is for what it has been every year, a discussion. It is what it is, my opinion.

Many dealers comment to me privately about the list -- their thoughts on my thoughts or just a thank you for being recognized. Either way I say the same, it's just my thoughts and feedback. Most appreciate the basic objectivity and not playing favorites and offering at least why I think what I think.

There is no right answer. Oakman's list isn't any better or worse, and people are entitled to think Metro blows and Harley is the greatest. I get that.

My ten favorite dealers would look different than the 10 best dealers. Regardless, I have my reasons why some "obvious" guys don't make it.

I like Rick Whitelock too, but by his own admission, no website, no tracking of inventory and dealing is basically a hobby more than a business to him. I can't add him to the list. I like Dale Roberts a lot, but without a web presence stronger than an ebay store, I can't put him on the list -- yet. Adam Perlman has great inventory, but by his own admission he does little outside of ebay and is only an occasional presence at conventions. I could go through every "favorite" and explain why they don't make it. The closest I got was putting Comicana Direct on the list... and for a variety of reasons they probably should make it at some point soon.

It's not a knock or even that they aren't a good dealer. What it says is that for the top of the top, you need a broad range of qualifications in my mind.

Again... there is no right answer. I am the first to point this out, no correct answer for "who's the best".

I can't believe it wasn't me that knocked Metro out of the top spot from last year.

:pullhair:

there should be separate categories. Roy you would make biggest breakout seller of the year award in my book.Your OS ad is awesome,and Lou looks great as always. :applause:

I can't believe it wasn't me that knocked Metro out of the top spot from last year.

there should be separate categories. Roy you would make biggest breakout seller of the year award in my book.Your OS ad is awesome,and Lou looks great as always. :applause:

Thanks for the compliments!

I was just joking. ;) I don't think I'll ever even be in the same realm as guys like Storms, Metro, Reece etc but it's nice to rub elbows with the elite. And guys like Bob and Greg make terrific friends making the convention circuit all that much more enjoyable.

(thumbs u

Thanks for the compliments!

I was just joking. ;) I don't think I'll ever even be in the same realm as guys like Storms, Metro, Reece etc but it's nice to rub elbows with the elite. And guys like Bob and Greg make terrific friends making the convention circuit all that much more enjoyable.

(thumbs u

Roy, you get me vote for coolest hair.

Brain, as a curiosity, which comics dealer do you think has the best web site overall? Comiclink took a hot in your list for getting technologically stale (and I agree). I think an Internet presence, and a good one at that, are important these days.

For somebody listed here to comment would be to me a conflict of interest. Sort of like tooting my own horn. And while I always look forward to this yearly thread I am always looking for and read these types of threads since reputations are very important. And while people are always looking for the "Throw them under the bus" thread the underlying theme is that we should all be looking out for each other. Screw a customer or a dealer for that matter and it affects all of us.

Great list Brian,

Looking at the entirety of the dealers you've examined, I imagine it was quite time consuming to rank them all according to your criteria.

Personally, I've dealt with half of your top 10 (and a couple from your honorable mention list) and in every case each one was professional and I had no complaints about any facet of the transaction.

I tend to think that a very strong internet presence is crucial and any dealer should be investing his time/effort into that aspect to reach as wide an audience as possible - convention presence is good, but internet presence is even more important.

For somebody listed here to comment would be to me a conflict of interest. Sort of like tooting my own horn. And while I always look forward to this yearly thread I am always looking for and read these types of threads since reputations are very important. And while people are always looking for the "Throw them under the bus" thread the underlying theme is that we should all be looking out for each other. Screw a customer or a dealer for that matter and it affects all of us.

Bob, I've come to look forward to the "Highgradecomics.com New Arrivals" email every night just a few minutes after 9pm. It's like clockwork. (thumbs u